Should we expect some serious flooding?

David Mack

Featured Posts

Wind is the main problem today, although the rain doesnt help with already full rivers down sarf. The Metoffice might as well bin its named storm system list as we still havnt used the first name this Winter..all have been named by Ireland, Denmark, Holland, France and the Scandanavian met offices.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Wind is the main problem today, although the rain doesnt help with already full rivers down sarf. The Metoffice might as well bin its named storm system list as we still havnt used the first name this Winter..all have been named by Ireland, Denmark, Holland, France and the Scandanavian met offices.

Ireland hasn't named any either, AFAIK. It's been pretty windy and wet here in County Wicklow today, but my main beef is that it's gone very cold again. We even had sleet briefly. Bring back spring!

MP.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

You’re not wrong. I’d have traded more rain for less wind today. I’d have loved to have had the hydraulic drive with compensated bow thrusters that I had last week while manoeuvring around Barton marina this lunchtime. The wind was terrible on its own but the far side of Barton is badly silted and weeded up and not easy to manoeuvre around even in reasonable weather.

Contact was avoided with all other boats but I did abort using the allocated berth in favour of a spare double bay on the opposite side of the jetty.

11 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Ireland hasn't named any either, AFAIK. It's been pretty windy and wet here in County Wicklow today, but my main beef is that it's gone very cold again. We even had sleet briefly. Bring back spring!

MP.

Same in North Wales, we even had a dusting of snow, good job the spuds haven't poked their heads above ground yet.

In the Fens yesterday we had a succession of very brief (a minute or so) hail showers, interspersed by sunny intervals, and it was windy, but not sufficiently so to blow the dustbins over.  More like "April showers bring May flowers" than a proper storm.

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Possibly a reflection on wind direction. The jet stream seems to be sending in winds from the SW or NW, rather than directly off the Atlantic, so France or Scandinavia would be affected first, and so would be the source for naming them.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Same in North Wales, we even had a dusting of snow, good job the spuds haven't poked their heads above ground yet.

Today, it's sunny and still. I shall go and inspect the vegetable plot later with crossed fingers.

MP.

• Greenie 1

On 13/04/2023 at 09:50, MoominPapa said:

Today, it's sunny and still. I shall go and inspect the vegetable plot later with crossed fingers.

MP.

We have not planted any veggies yet for this year. The weather just hasn't been fit for it and the garden has been completely sodden.

We did a bit of weeding last night after work. Might make a start and get some stuff planted this weekend.

On 12/04/2023 at 23:23, MartynG said:

River levels  here have been up early in the month but now  unremarkable for the time of year 

image.png.e959d3a6ebcf78ad3d6a54c9c4735948.png

We were glad to get out of Tewksbury on Monday before this weeks rain started!

It had flooded the previous week and the rivers were still running high and fast while we were there. Don't expect it would have taken much to get them over the banks again.

We thought our days of river level watching were long gone!!

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have not planted any veggies yet for this year. The weather just hasn't been fit for it and the garden has been completely sodden.

We did a bit of weeding last night after work. Might make a start and get some stuff planted this weekend.

We were glad to get out of Tewksbury on Monday before this weeks rain started!

It had flooded the previous week and the rivers were still running high and fast while we were there. Don't expect it would have taken much to get them over the banks again.

We thought our days of river level watching were long gone!!

The Trent was high April 1st/2nd but had dropped about 3ft by last weekend.

I have workable soil at home but lack the time and  dedication for vegetables

Maybe next year .

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

The Trent was high April 1st/2nd but had dropped about 3ft by last weekend.

I have workable soil at home but lack the time and  dedication for vegetables

Maybe next year .

We only do easy stuff. Carrots, beetroot, parsnip, beans mostly.

Not done anything yet this year. And with all this rain today we might not get too far this weekend either!

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not done anything yet this year. And with all this rain today we might not get too far this weekend either!

One of the advantages of being in the soft south 🙂.  Plot tilled, all spuds, onions and garlic in, winter onions and garlic starting to fatten and rhubarb going great guns.

Last of the leeks are being harvested as I write.

Gotta luv early retirement 😄

Currently persisting down but warming up for a dry week ahead .  We can almost hear the weeds girding their loins. 😯.

28 minutes ago, Ken X said:

One of the advantages of being in the soft south 🙂.  Plot tilled, all spuds, onions and garlic in, winter onions and garlic starting to fatten and rhubarb going great guns.

Last of the leeks are being harvested as I write.

Gotta luv early retirement 😄

Currently persisting down but warming up for a dry week ahead .  We can almost hear the weeds girding their loins. 😯.

Its finally stopped her in Birmingham, Woke to rain this morning and its been at it ever since

On 12/04/2023 at 23:14, MtB said:

Reservoirs might be full but I suspect our aquifers are still benefitting.

Just so - but the most recent reservoir report seemed to me to indicate generally levels much the same as those last year at the same time. It was the in-season dryness that was the real culprit.

My flight into Heathrow on Weds was quite interesting, most violent attempted landing i have ever had, got diverted to Stanstead. Never seen so many sick bags in use, women crying, people praying and hugging each other, plane stank of puke when we landed.

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

My flight into Heathrow on Weds was quite interesting, most violent attempted landing i have ever had, got diverted to Stanstead. Never seen so many sick bags in use, women crying, people praying and hugging each other, plane stank of puke when we landed.

I had something similar when landing at London City Airport once. A gust of wind caught the small turbo prop plane just as it was landing turning the plane through maybe 25 degrees. Lots of screaming because the runway has water on both sides. The pilot took off and went around again before executing a perfect landing.