Canal badges

jacko264

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Let’s see your canal badges here is mine we have collected over the years of canal boating

Graham

Wow!! I'm really impressed that you attended the opening of the Oxford Canal in 1790   😁

Tam

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Let’s see your canal badges here is mine we have collected over the years of canal boating

Graham

DC46F405-9172-4C61-B1A1-E202FEEAF2B9.jpeg

Most if not all of them have been bought over the counter. If they had been rally plaques, then that would have been more impressive 

• Angry 1

I found this little notice in a wreck of a boat which ten years previously had been a £150k luxurious wooden sailing boat with more varnish than you could eat.

IMG_20230406_110349.jpg

Edited by magnetman

Well you lot are thoroughlly miserable this morning. :P

My wife likes the plaques, i’m 50/50 on them.

Never bothered getting any for the places we went on the shareboat.

Did get a couple for her at Xmas as a bit of fun that we’ve done on our own boat. No idea where to put them though, so probably not get stuck anywhere permanent on the boat.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In 40 years of boating we only have the one (in addition to the manufacturers plaque) and that came with the boat.

Solar Controller.jpg

There are two more you should add to your collection:-

"When no lights you see on his masthead, full ahead and ram the ......d"

"When no lights you see in front, full ahead and ram the ...."

:boat:

Howard

• Greenie 1

I’m not totally one for plaques but I did inherit some interesting ones with the boat which tell a bit of the story if it’s history. Notable amongst them being the re-opening of Dudley Tunnel and some of the early IWA campaign rallies. They’re also on an inside wall in the back cabin/engine room so are sensibly discrete.

I have added to them a handful of rally plaques for events I have attended and I still have to add the Titford Pools plaque.

If I claimed one of those plaques you can get for completing the Tardebigge flight for every time I’ve been up or down there I’d need a longer boat.

When I pick the boat up from dock next week I might post a couple of photos.

Edited by Captain Pegg

I've had dozens of the old Thames Conservancy registration plates out over the yars with the magnets. Obviously. All of them were ferrous but in 1934 they did brass ones. 

This example was a very strange find. I was rooting about in some random pieces of scrap in a scrap yard looking for useful metal sections and it just slipped out from beneath some other things. Weighed in with the rest of the scrap. 

I think its rather nice. I did declare it to the scrap man he almost had a heart attack that I was so honest and took a fiver off me. This was about 20 yars ago or more. Kings Langley there was a recycling yard by the cut near the railway bridge. ACM. 

IMG_20230406_152822.thumb.jpg.4d95933f7e7aa08149efbc95dc4be5c1.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And you mounted it using mismatched pozidriv screws?? Surely a brass plate of that vintage would have justified brass roundhead slotted screws (with the slots lined up)!

Agree completely. Horizontal. Will do this. The screws are awful ! 

I'm thinking of putting them in at an angle to match the sides of the reg plate so about 45 degrees. 

• Horror 1

7 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Graham

DC46F405-9172-4C61-B1A1-E202FEEAF2B9.jpeg

There are no screws in these. 

I like the avoid asphyxiation one. Always good advice for a long and healthy life. 

58 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There are no screws in these. 

I like the avoid asphyxiation one. Always good advice for a long and healthy life. 

Probably stuck up with silicone glue. Still leaves a right mess when you remove them.