OK - so I'm getting past it

frahkn

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

15 minute cities.

A term with which I'm not familiar.

Does it refer to a number of extremely small townships, or is it a measure of time?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

A term with which I'm not familiar.

Does it refer to a number of extremely small townships, or is it a measure of time?

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago but being in possession of an ability to Google, I discovered the answer in about one minute flat. 

The "15 minute city" is a concept where cities are arranged so everything a citizen needs to live their life can be reached by travelling for less than 15 minutes. Doctor, shops, job factory/office, etc are all less than 15 minutes away.

I struggle though with the embedded concept that distances are measured in time. Very American! 

• Greenie 1

On 03/03/2023 at 22:17, nicknorman said:

Because you have to have something to carry it in, then when you pay for something you get a load of coins that clutter up the pocket. And then you get to the Supermarket queue and there has to be some old biddy/grey beardy flat cap bloke who spends 10 minutes counting out the 2p coins to make the payment for their tin of sardines. By comparison one waft of my iPhone has the bill paid, and no annoying coins in the pocket.

I haven't been to a cash machine yet in 2023, I think I might have been to one a couple of times in 2022. And I am not exactly a millenial yoof type, I am a state pension collecting oap.

Sorry I've kept you waiting at the till :) As a matter of interest in 1981 in Las Vagas the ladies of the night took cards and kept the swiper gadget in their hand bags. The bill showed professional services :)

I also went into a shop to buy something and the shop would only take cards (the owner was fed up being robbed at gun point). On the shop slip I had to give them my finger prints !!

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago but being in possession of an ability to Google, I discovered the answer in about one minute flat. 

The "15 minute city" is a concept where cities are arranged so everything a citizen needs to live their life can be reached by travelling for less than 15 minutes. Doctor, shops, job factory/office, etc are all less than 15 minutes away.

I struggle though with the embedded concept that distances are measured in time. Very American! 

Fifteen minutes walking?  I don't think I've ever lived in a city, town, or village where this would be likely since I was at school, when had to use a bus to go to secondary school, and a tram to go to work.on a Saturday.

I had to buy a few bags of coal yesterday, it was cash transaction, I always try to keep a selection of coins and notes, on this occasion I was able to add only £1.50 as a tip, it was delivered to the boat. I feel a bit guilty, but it was all I had!

I used the Post Office to get some more cash, it's always free, though the ATM outside, embedded in their wall charges per transaction.

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Fifteen minutes walking?  I don't think I've ever lived in a city, town, or village where this would be likely since I was at school. I had to use a bus to go to secondary school, and a train to go to work.

I don't know. It's a concept for designing cities intended to partially address the massive damage being done to the environment by our addiction to travelling long distances.

I don't think a 15 minute city has ever been actually achieved. The idea only seemed to hit public awareness a few months ago! 

Edited by MtB

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

being in possession of an ability to Google,

...as are many of us; but replying to any question with the retort "Google it" would make for a poor discussion forum.

So, the "15 minute city", though presented as a trendy idea, is really a giant step backwards to the days when people lived 15 minutes' or less walk away from their work, school, shops and (except in Bournville) pubs. Having spent about ten years of my working life living within five minutes' walk of my place of work, I can understand the appeal.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its the house, its in the bilge on the boat as I don't have a toilet cistern 

I had a boat once which was ballasted with gold. Only found out about it after selling the boat and the new owner was replacing the floor. He politely asked if it was my gold. It wasn't. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

If you're married its possible for a boat to list to two sides.  The same applies to hanging pictures.  She says it dips to the left, and I can see that it obviously dips to the right.

Son's GF is sensitive to this; when he lived with us, before she came to visit he'd go round the house and tilt all the hanging pictures slightly off vertical, then see how long she could stand it before straightening them up... 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It is more than likely that in the future the internet will go down for a considerable time and it's a bit daft not to be at least a little aware of the fact. 

Could you say where  you get that  information from please?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Son's GF is sensitive to this; when he lived with us, before she came to visit he'd go round the house and tilt all the hanging pictures slightly off vertical, then see how long she could stand it before straightening them up... 😉

not nice ! It's almost as bad as knowing someone has a mental disorder then setting them up to fail and being amused by it. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

In the supermarkets I always put the separator thing on the belt lying down. It is funny watching people stand it up. The kids do it now and we have a giggle. Sometimes people don't but in the vast majority of cases the idea is for the thing to be upright. 

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

not nice ! It's almost as bad as knowing someone has a mental disorder then setting them up to fail and being amused by it. 

OCD is quite a difficult thing to deal with. Humour is one way of doing this but the person with the OCD needs to know for sure that you are winding them up otherwise they could internalise it and this would potentially lead to significant psychological impacts. 

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's a standing joke between them, believe me she gives as good as she gets... 😉

(and they have been together for more than half their lives and are still happy, so can't be doing much wrong)

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

In the supermarkets I always put the separator thing on the belt lying down. It is funny watching people stand it up. The kids do it now and we have a giggle. Sometimes people don't but in the vast majority of cases the idea is for the thing to be upright. 

Our current favourite is waving to towpath cyclists to see if we can make them fall off (adults only, not kids). Don’t say hello as they’ll respond in kind, but smile and wave. More often than not they’ll subconciously repeat what you did and wave too, which can lead to dicey moments when they take a hand off the bars. We’ve had a couple of real big wobbles so far, but no crashes.

Not devised a method to make fishists fall in yet (apart from snagging their lines or using an extra long shepherds crook), but we’re working on it ;) 

• Greenie 1

I mounted the motor on my electric canoe on a stainless steel door hinge so the prop can be cleared of weed by giving it a blast in reverse. The sound of the prop lifting out is very similar to a large fish jumping out of the water.

Its brilliant for winding up the anglers. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Our current favourite is waving to towpath cyclists to see if we can make them fall off (adults only, not kids). Don’t say hello as they’ll respond in kind, but smile and wave. More often than not they’ll subconciously repeat what you did and wave too, which can lead to dicey moments when they take a hand off the bars. We’ve had a couple of real big wobbles so far, but no crashes.

Waving at cyclists can result in a jail sentence.

On 05/03/2023 at 10:25, Arthur Marshall said:

It is more than likely that in the future the internet will go down for a considerable time and it's a bit daft not to be at least a little aware of the fact. It's comparable with a policy of pleading with people to stop using their cars and then moving shops miles out of town. And, having done that, start preaching about 15 minute cities.

It will take several simultaneous incidents to take down the internet, unless a warring foreign power manages to simultaneously take out all of a countries data centres.

Every data centre I have seen (and I've visited many in several countries) has to comply with strict reliability standards defined by the Uptime Institute, often comprising two independent incoming mains power supplies of which only one is needed to meet the load. This is then backed up with several diesel generators, UPSs or a combination of these known as a DRUPS (diesel rotary uninterruptible power supply), with fast acting static transfer switches to switch the mains or standby power from one supply or the other. Then all of the cooling systems are duplicated with automatic transfer from one system or the other. 

One bank that I am aware of supplements this with their own diesel generators, UPS and cooling systems in case those provided by the data centre fail.

Then many companies duplicate their servers, running them in another data centre with one running as a hot standby, sometimes this hot standby data centre will be in another country.

Very local internet failures are relatively common (the router in a premises down, local Comms failure etc), but a national or worldwide failure so far hasn't happened.

Further information on data centre reliability tiers here.

https://uptimeinstitute.com/resources?

On 05/03/2023 at 17:00, IanD said:

It's a standing joke between them, believe me she gives as good as she gets... 😉

That's a maybe but it is probably her way of coping.

I wear hearing aids but they don't always pick up what I would hear if I had perfect hearing. Several years ago I was training my dog and as I didn't hear the trainer speak, I carried on regardless. This amused a couple who were watching and they made a big joke of it. It hurt me and although I now make jokes about being unable to hear well (I do this to prevent being mocked again) I have never forgotten it and I am still very self conscious in a situation where I might not hear everything. 

Your sons girl friend is probably just using joking as a means of coping but she would probably rather she didn't have OCD in the first place. for people to laugh at her expense. 

Perhaps we should all be more aware when we make jokes at others expense.  

49 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a maybe but it is probably her way of coping.

I wear hearing aids but they don't always pick up what I would hear if I had perfect hearing. Several years ago I was training my dog and as I didn't hear the trainer speak, I carried on regardless. This amused a couple who were watching and they made a big joke of it. It hurt me and although I now make jokes about being unable to hear well (I do this to prevent being mocked again) I have never forgotten it and I am still very self conscious in a situation where I might not hear everything. 

Your sons girl friend is probably just using joking as a means of coping but she would probably rather she didn't have OCD in the first place. for people to laugh at her expense. 

Perhaps we should all be more aware when we make jokes at others expense.  

Perhaps you shouldn't worry so much about two people who have been happily together for more than half their lives... 😉