OK - so I'm getting past it

frahkn

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It used to piss me off big time arriving at a different car park and having to go through the rigmarole of use an app. 
For the sake off some  coins.

Do you think we’ll get contactless supermarket trollies because I never have a pound coin in me pocket these days

Ive never got it right 😃

I have a trolley release key for supermarket trolleys. And a 1 Euro coin for the top loading type that they key wont fit.

Yes I was a boy scout....😄😄

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201100258201?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ICVetAhYRDe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7ezXg6AERiq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by M_JG

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

I have a trolley release key for supermarket trolleys. And a 1 Euro coin for the top loading type that they key wont fit.

Yes I was a boy scout....😄😄

might start taking me mini bolt cutters out 

I was a cub scout never made it to the big Boy Scouts. 😃

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Our local chippy only takes cash, no prob for me because the owner has taken over and turned what was 1st class f&c into crap. 

Don't lose hope. This happened to three previously excellent F&C shops in various places I've lived.

In every case after a rocky start, they all steadily improved and became almost as good as the preceding owners. Almost!

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Do you not carry cash at all?

If so is it a deliberate effort for a reason?

I have a tenner in my wallet but its an old paper one which I found in a jacket pocket last year .

There was a fiver with it but I spent that last November.

It's not for any particular reason that I don't use cash  but I just don't seem to need cash money.

Shops are happy to take a card payment even for small items like a birthday card and I expect they prefer card to cash.

To be fair there is the odd occasion eg. went to the amateur dramatics Panto the other week and a cup of tea at the interval was  cash only. But this is an older generation thing that we knew about in advance. We had to go to the cash till specially to get some cash out.

• Greenie 1

A bar/restaurant local to us accepted both card and cash but they made it quite plain their preference (with signs on the bar) was for cash due to the charges their bank levied on card transactions.

Which is fair enough but they got my custom as they accepted cards too. (And importantly the food was top notch).

Sadly they closed this week as their landlord has terminated their lease.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have a tenner in my wallet but its an old paper one which I found in a jacket pocket last year .

There was a fiver with it but I spent that last November.

It's not for any particular reason that I don't use cash  but I just don't seem to need cash money.

Shops are happy to take a card payment even for small items like a birthday card and I expect they prefer card to cash.

To be fair there is the odd occasion eg. went to the amateur dramatics Panto the other week and a cup of tea at the interval was  cash only. But this is an older generation thing that we knew about in advance. We had to go to the cash till specially to get some cash out.

It kind of sums it up. 
cash is for the Tombolas, the elderly cake festivals, the honesty box for plants or eggs, and of course for the cobs/batches down the pub. 

the amount of times I’ve been caught out with cash only for the cob/batch or whatever. 

and the homeless get nowt off me now “sorry mate, got no change”.

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I normally ask them if they would like something to eat and/or drink and what they would like.

And use my card to buy them it.

The last person asked me to buy some food for his JRT.

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It kind of sums it up. 
cash is for the Tombolas, the elderly cake festivals, the honesty box for plants or eggs, and of course for the cobs/batches down the pub. 

the amount of times I’ve been caught out with cash only for the cob/batch or whatever. 

Any decent “homeless” these days has a card machine.

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It kind of sums it up. 

They take cards in London now.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Any decent “homeless” these days has a card machine.

Well not really but you do see charity collectors with them.

Last time I was in Charlestown in Cornwall on lifeboat day the RNLI had one mounted on a stand with a sign 'Tap here to donate a fiver'.

I virtually never use cash, it’s a pain. Last year someone gave me a couple of 100 in cash for services rendered, it took 1/2 a year to get around to spending it. Cash at the gliding club (where I’m treasurer) is a right pain, one of us has to go to the bank to pay it in, whereas if they use the Sumup machine it is 1.6% which is not too bad. Or of course bank transfer is better, but there are a few who say “Oh I DON’T do internet banking, it’s not safe.”. Presumably they pay for the tin foil for their hats in cash.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I only accept payment by debit card.

Have been doing this for years. 

But these days, card service providers charge the same for debit or credit cards, so there is no reason other than nostalgia to insist on debit cards only. As I mentioned earlier, 1.6% via  a Sumup machine for debit or credit.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But these days, card service providers charge the same for debit or credit cards, so there is no reason other than nostalgia to insist on debit cards only. As I mentioned earlier, 1.6% via  a Sumup machine for debit or credit.

Not mine.

I pay (something like) 80p fixed for debit and 1.8% for credit cards. So for a transaction of say £500, the debit card is WAY cheaper than a Sumup machine. 

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

why is cash a pain?

I personally wouldnt describe it as a pain but a card is a hell of a lot more convenient. Especially if you link your card to Google Pay or Apple Pay. You dont even need your card with you, just your phone.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Do you think we’ll get contactless supermarket trollies because I never have a pound coin in me pocket these days

The local Asda lost my weekly shop recently as they have just reintroduced the trolley deposit which was suspended during the pandemic. I had no cash on me and the staff on the customer service desk had no suggestions. So Sainsburys (whose trolleys remain unchained) got my money instead. It all seems a bit daft now that most of the checkouts in store have been replaced with card only self checkouts.

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

He  explained  why

Ok reread

I see better what he was on about now regarding a club. 

But still ..

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I personally wouldnt describe it as a pain but a card is a hell of a lot more convenient. Especially if you link your card to Google Pay or Apple Pay. You dont even need your card with you, just your phone.

I purposely went pub other day with just a tenner so I wouldn’t have more than two pints.

I did however have my phone…

slippery slope

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not mine.

I pay (something like) 80p fixed for debit and 1.8% for credit cards. So for a transaction of say £500, the debit card is WAY cheaper than a Sumup machine. 

Sumup has no fixed monthly fees. Does your card provider charge a monthly fixed fee? And whether that is a problem does of course depend on you turnover. Personally I think that to turn down business because the customer can only pay by credit card means you aren’t making enough profit margin!

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Sumup has no fixed monthly fees. Does your card provider charge a monthly fixed fee? And whether that is a problem does of course depend on you turnover. Personally I think that to turn down business because the customer can only pay by credit card means you aren’t making enough profit margin!

You're right, its time I gave myself a pay rise! 

I ask people to pay by debit card when making the arrangement to visit and 99% say that's fine. The occasional one asks if a credit card is ok and I always say yes, because it is. I take AMEX too but don't tell anyone....

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

do you do all your car parking with card too?

car parks really annoy me

(or did)

And me, one local to the boat will take cash but it insists on connecting to a server which takes forever, another one at a tourist spot in North Wales only works with an app but the car park is in a valley with no Internet signal

I've just checked and I have almost £500 in cash.  In bottles. Nearly all of it in discontinued notes & coins.  But I can't find my 10 shilling note, I'm sure I had it somewhere.  I've done a bit of research and it seems that I need to drive about 40 miles to somewhere that "might" be able to change for me.  It an obscure organisation that doesn't like admitting that it provides this service, as its main service is swindling managers. 

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I've just checked and I have almost £500 in cash.  In bottles. Nearly all of it in discontinued notes & coins.  But I can't find my 10 shilling note, I'm sure I had it somewhere.  I've done a bit of research and it seems that I need to drive about 40 miles to somewhere that "might" be able to change for me.  It an obscure organisation that doesn't like admitting that it provides this service, as its main service is swindling managers. 

Not just swindling them, but imprisoning them. Just because they can.

It's all part of the advertising economy. You use your card for any puchase, and that goes into the database to be flogged off for targetted advertising. Not a problem any more  as most people have gizmos in their houses reporting to Amazon or Google whenever they mention anything that might be sold to them. Not worth worrying about.

I use cash whenever possible, at least in towns where there is still a bank. Of course  the fewer people that use cash, the more banks can close branches, the more you have to use a card and the more profit they make. Everyone's a winner!