OK - so I'm getting past it

frahkn

Featured Posts

Many of you may think my experience yesterday evening was routine.

Thought it was truly weird - so weird that I'm mentioning it here.

Walking through central Birmingham I came across a pub - The Good Intent - which claimed to be the "first non-profit pub". I realise that there are lots of virtually non-profit pubs but this is the first that I am aware of which aims for that status deliberately.

Shaken by this concept I went into the next one (the Joint Stock) only to find that they no longer accept cash in return for their wares! I had to resort to a card to pay for a pint.

5 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Walking through central Birmingham I came across a pub - The Good Intent - which claimed to be the "first non-profit pub". I realise that there are lots of virtually non-profit pubs but this is the first that I am aware of which aims for that status deliberately.

Shaken by this concept I went into the next one (the Joint Stock) only to find that they no longer accept cash in return for their wares! I had to resort to a card to pay for a pint.

There are quite a lot of community-owned pubs nowadays where AFAIK all the profits (if any) are ploughed back into the business, which could amount to the same thing.

Pubs (and other businesses) which don't accept cash are quite common now, both Dahn Sarf and Oop North going by recent experience...

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, frahkn said:

The Good Intent has been discussed on this forum previously.  Their beers are very tasty, and you get to feel all virtuous by drinking them.  What's not to like?

2 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Sign of the times I'm afraid.

I bought a coffee & cake yesterday from a guy in Citroen H van down by Tees Barrage. He too only took card payments. The reason he gave I thought was a reasonable one - due to the fairly isolated nature of the location he wanted to eliminate the chance of his cash being stolen.

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

........they no longer accept cash in return for their wares! I had to resort to a card to pay for a pint.

Cash is almost dead.

I find it a nuisance when a business  only takes  cash .

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

There’s no good reason to find out. Plenty of better places close by.

Well I must say googling both pubs they do look a bit ‘fancy’ for me. 

If I’m going in town, I usually head to the Post Office to start with and stumble on somewhere from there. 

27 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

There’s no good reason to find out. Plenty of better places close by.

Certainly, there is the Wellington, next door, but I was meeting some people. If I'd gone into the Wellington I probably would have stayed and missed my rendezvous.

I can't think of anywhere closer to the Good Intent than the Joint Stock (except possibly the Square Peg, you will never find me in a 'spoons pub), anyway it was in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Sign of the times I'm afraid.

I bought a coffee & cake yesterday from a guy in Citroen H van down by Tees Barrage. He too only took card payments. The reason he gave I thought was a reasonable one - due to the fairly isolated nature of the location he wanted to eliminate the chance of his cash being stolen.

It's a bit hard on the bar staff though, they look like they are not trusted with cash and also it's a big deal to buy them a drink.

Edited by frahkn

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's fine as I will not be buying anything from you .

Do you not carry cash at all?

If so is it a deliberate effort for a reason?

I’m simply too lazy to find a cash point otherwise I’d carry more cash. I’m in habit of paying with card. 

as a trader I’ll only take cash because I won’t be having more gadgets to charge up,  and then worry about whether the gadget is gonna have a signal and work. 

Any business that only takes cash doesn’t get my business either.

Its just as much my choice not to patronise them as it's their choice not to take cards (and lose business in the process).

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Any business that only takes cash doesn’t get my business either.

Its just as much my choice not to patronise them as it's their choice not to take cards (and lose business in the process).

do you do all your car parking with card too?

car parks really annoy me

(or did)

Just now, Goliath said:

do you do all your car parking with card too?

car parks really annoy me

(or did)

Yes. Or by app. on my phone.

I do carry a small amount of change in the centre console just in case I really need to park somewhere and they dont have that facility.

I honestly can't recall the last time that happened though. 

Just now, M_JG said:

Yes. Or by app. on my phone.

I do carry a small amount of change in the centre console just in case I really need to park somewhere and they dont have that facility.

I honestly can't recall the last time that happened though. 

It used to piss me off big time arriving at a different car park and having to go through the rigmarole of use an app. 
For the sake off some  coins.

Do you think we’ll get contactless supermarket trollies because I never have a pound coin in me pocket these days

Ive never got it right 😃

• Happy 1