Return to boat after this freeze......

Featured Posts

Is it best to whack the heating on full and hope nothing pours out or is it best to heat gradually to avoid bursts/making things worse...?  any nuggets of advice?

I ran my tank down and opened all taps but thats it, so half expecting something...... but if the taps are open it should have been able to expand??

If you're going to be onboard in these temperatures then there's little choice but to heat it up as quickly as possible, otherwise you're going to sit there freezing your nads off. 

I seasoned my cast iron stove when it was new by starting with small fires and gradually building them up. Since then it just goes onto full blast from cold. Never had any issues. I think it's probably only poor quality cast iron stoves that are at risk.

I send my eberspacher a text message to turn it on as I leave the house. Five hours later when I arrive at the boat it's done it's job and the boat is warm. Then I can get on with turning the water/gas back on and lighting the stove in comfort 🥱

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm gonna send mine a Christmas card. You need to do everything you can to stay on the right side of an Eberspacher or they cut up rough - just ask @Nightwatch :(

Mine is ignoring me. So I sent it to Coventry. (Well Preston really, but that wouldn’t have made sense.)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm gonna send mine a Christmas card. You need to do everything you can to stay on the right side of an Eberspacher or they cut up rough - just ask @Nightwatch :(

The controller only talks to me via txt messages its a bit forward like that. 

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Turn the water off at home and leave the heating on at ten degrees. Stay on the boat ;)

That could well be the cheaper option.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I send my eberspacher a text message to turn it on as I leave the house. Five hours later when I arrive at the boat it's done it's job and the boat is warm. 

Seems like  a long journey . Unless perhaps you are travelling on foot.

For me it's a great advantage keeping the boat close to home.  

43 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Only 250 miles not really long, its between 4 and 5 hrs depending on traffic.

Went there and back on Saturday, 4.5hrs each way, to  winterise of the raw water cooling side of the engine.

I was there for an hour and  came straight home. 

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

For me its where the boat is, an extra hour in the car can be almost a week away by boat. I could go back to the Little Ouse and be closer but to go any distance by boat its up the Nene and Northampton arm.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

Well, he could travel a lesser distance, but then he wouldn't get home or to the boat, depending which way he's heading! 

It's undoubtedly an advantage at times to have the boat close to home but, for some, the boat would then be nowhere near the canal system.

It's also nice to to cruise an area that's not your own back garden and often it's  advantageous to have a base in another part of the country. Swings and roundabouts?

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It's also nice to to cruise an area that's not your own back garden and often it's  advantageous to have a base in another part of the country

My local canal has less than 2 miles in water, two derelict locks and a very low bridge only really suitable for a canoe🥱

MIL lives 2 miles from the marina where the boat is means I can stay on the boat when we visit🤭

Being really picky my local canal has one derelict lock and was changed into a railway years ago and is now a footpath 

Edited by Loddon

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, he could travel a lesser distance, but then he wouldn't get home or to the boat, depending which way he's heading! 

It's undoubtedly an advantage at times to have the boat close to home but, for some, the boat would then be nowhere near the canal system.

It's also nice to to cruise an area that's not your own back garden and often it's  advantageous to have a base in another part of the country. Swings and roundabouts?

Yes I get that.

Not everyone wants the same thing , thank goodness.

I do know people who keep their boat similar distances from home and some people keep a boat abroad.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

What I really want is a Squirrel that can light itself remotely with a text message.

This would be quite easy to achieve using a nichrome wire wrapped match surrounded by some flammable items including kindling and coal. Do tests in advance to find out how much fuel is safe for full draft without overheating the fire. Maybe a coal cage or a cutlery drainer would be useful here.

Wire the nichrome match via a GSM gate opening relay to a 12v battery. You send the message the circuit closes the nichrome wire burns up and the match lights.

Same sort of thing as a model rocket igniter.

Might work?

I'm not an insurance man.  If you die doing this don't come running to me to complain.