Marinas/moorings north of Middlewich

IanD

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Aren't Middlewich Moorings where Middlewich Narrow Boats used to be? There are off side moorings there but I don't know who looks after them.

Why don't you like me Ian? You come across as very arrogant.

No, the links quite clearly show that they're at Park Farm, which is why I included them -- along with the earlier posts showing maps from both Google and Canalplan.

Maybe if you actually read posts and checked the facts instead of just throwing up objections to what you *thought* was said, I wouldn't come across like that... 😉

Can we not turn this into yet another sh*t-throwing contest, please?

Edited by IanD

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you only leave for a short period that obviously makes sense, if you go CCing for months (or the whole summer) I'd have though most boats wouldn't want to pay for a mooring they're not using.

Except that if finding one is so difficult this might be what everyone does... 😞

It’s normal procedure to pay for your moorings when your out be it 3, 6, 12 month that way your mooring is secure.

You can’t go out for 3, 6, 12 month and not pay for your mooring and think/expect it will be there when you return? 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

It’s normal procedure to pay for your moorings when your out be it 3, 6, 12 month that way your mooring is secure.

Do you think you can go out for 3, 6, 12 month and don’t pay for your mooring it will be there when you return? 

It's not my opinion, it's what several marinas (e.g. Dave at Park Farm) told me that some (not all!) boats did, which is why they normally expect to have some spaces in the summer and be full up in the winter.

Maybe since there are more boats than there used to be occupancy has gone up so fewer boaters are giving up their moorings when they go out cruising in case they can't find one to get back into later?

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

It's not my opinion, it's what several marinas (e.g. Dave at Park Farm) told me that some (not all!) boats did, which is why they normally expect to have some spaces in the summer and be full up in the winter.

Maybe since there are more boats than there used to be occupancy has gone up so fewer boaters are giving up their moorings when they go out cruising in case they can't find one to get back into later?

Sorry I was editing my post while you replied. The boats that go and don’t pay obviously relinquish their mooring, either not to return or take the chance there will be a mooring available should they want to return. If you pay you keep your mooring you haven’t the problem that your having finding one.

Just now, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Sorry I was editing my post while you replied. The boats that go and don’t pay obviously relinquish their mooring, either not to return or take the chance there will be a mooring available should they want to return. If you pay you keep your mooring you haven’t the problem that your having finding one.

I realise that, but it seems this year that -- to quote Dave -- "nobody's moving, I've just got no spaces like usual"... 😞

44 minutes ago, IanD said:

I realise that, but it seems this year that -- to quote Dave -- "nobody's moving, I've just got no spaces like usual"... 😞

Maybe he’s getting the boaters in that are buying boats for somewhere to live, that work in the adjacent area and can't move or aren’t bothered with moving.  I’m seeing this in more Marina’s.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

26 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Maybe he’s getting the boaters in that are buying boats for somewhere to live that work in the adjacent area and can't move or aren’t bothered with moving.  I’m seeing this in more Marina’s.

He said that pretty much nobody's leaving and so nobody new is coming in because he's full, there's simply no turnover of boats.

Whether this is because of stoppages or financial insecurity or too many boats or people not giving up moorings for the summer like they used to, he said this year was not like normal... 😞

Edited by IanD

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You can’t go out for 3, 6, 12 month and not pay for your mooring and think/expect it will be there when you return? 

And if you look in most marina Ts and Cs they reserve the right to let your mooring to someone else while you are away. And no, you don't get any income from that, the marina pocket it. But the temporary occupant does have to change mooring or leave when you return.

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And if you look in most marina Ts and Cs they reserve the right to let your mooring to someone else while you are away. And no, you don't get any income from that, the marina pocket it. But the temporary occupant does have to change mooring or leave when you return.

Actually, thinking about it I'm not sure both the marina T&C's we have signed actually guarantee a mooring at a particular pontoon or mooring within the marina.

So I guess they could put anybody on your spot as long as they could put you elsewhere.

Not good for customer relations though.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

A lot depends if it is leisure or residential and council tax, if you have an official residential and you pay council tax direct to the council, the Marina operator can not use your mooring without your permission. I know a lot depends on the Marina and how good a relationship you have with the owner or staff. I’m not bothered if they let out my mooring as I know it’ll be there when I’m back and the owner who is a good guy can make a little extra.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

yes, during the summer it’s easier for me to get a week or so in a mariner. 
Winter and particularly Christmas are difficult. 
I rely on the temporary gaps, especially in the smaller mariners. 

so, yes, moorings are clearly rented out a second time in some cases. 

11 hours ago, agg221 said:

No - I was thinking of the moorings near Betton Wood Bend. I think someone moved on from there recently so there may be a space.

Alec

Thanks, but I can't find any information about these anywhere -- do you (or anyone else?) have any further info, for example exact location?

As i understand it, if we are out of our mooring for an extended period we can let the marina know and they can then use our berth for short term mooring, if this happens we are given a contribution towards the cost of electric (no idea how much).

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

As i understand it, if we are out of our mooring for an extended period we can let the marina know and they can then use our berth for short term mooring, if this happens we are given a contribution towards the cost of electric (no idea how much).

I usually read the meter and I pay for what I use. 
Whether that then gets knocked off the orignal/permanent mooring bill I don’t know. 
Other places I buy a card. 

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

Anyone have any comments on Uplands Marina at Anderton?

Unlike most of the others, they've actually got a space... 🙂

I know nothing about this marina except where it is but in view of the difficulty you seem to be having getting a mooring, I would take it and then look around if it doesn't suit you. 

Not really surprising why park farm is full. It is miles cheaper than other marinas and with the uncertainty of licence etc costs, boaters are probably staying there rather than moving . 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I know nothing about this marina except where it is but in view of the difficulty you seem to be having getting a mooring, I would take it and then look around if it doesn't suit you. 

Not really surprising why park farm is full. It is miles cheaper than other marinas and with the uncertainty of licence etc costs, boaters are probably staying there rather than moving . 

That's exactly what I've done, bird in the hand and all that...🙂

Uplands is £285/month (or £2880/year) which -- as you say -- is more than Park Farm, but still considerably less than some others. Most of which are also full, so it's not just Park Farm... 😉

Oh yes, I forgot -- thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions 🙂

Edited by IanD

Its much cheaper than down South thats for sure. 

We looked in at Uplands when we passed last year, it looked reasonable. We looked closely as the pontoons we noticed are really long, so a bit of a pain when getting out and in. We have to get past three boats which is just about OK at our marina, but I think I counted up to 6 boats to reverse past each side if you are down at the bottom which you may want to be with a recently painted boat. 

35 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Its much cheaper than down South thats for sure. 

We looked in at Uplands when we passed last year, it looked reasonable. We looked closely as the pontoons we noticed are really long, so a bit of a pain when getting out and in. We have to get past three boats which is just about OK at our marina, but I think I counted up to 6 boats to reverse past each side if you are down at the bottom which you may want to be with a recently painted boat. 

Thanks, I did pick up that long/closely spaced pontoons fact about Uplands, and care being needed getting in and out -- which I won't be doing very often compared to liveaboards or boaters spending half the year on their boat. Not especially worried just because the boat is new, any scrapes in a marina are likely to be much smaller than those that happen out on the cut... 😉

As usual every option has personal plus and minus points -- Uplands plus points for me are having space (BIG one!!!) and being in the location I wanted, layout is a small negative one, cost is lower than many others. It's not posh and doesn't have much in the way of facilities but that doesn't bother me -- neither does Park Farm which was my first choice (and even cheaper!), but that's full... 😞

Edited by IanD

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

Thanks, I did pick up that long/closely spaced pontoons fact about Uplands, and care being needed getting in and out -- which I won't be doing very often compared to liveaboards or boaters spending half the year on their boat. Not especially worried just because the boat is new, any scrapes in a marina are likely to be much smaller than those that happen out on the cut... 😉

As usual every option has personal plus and minus points -- Uplands plus points for me are having space (BIG one!!!) and being in the location I wanted, layout is a small negative one. It's not posh and doesn't have much in the way of facilities but that doesn't bother me -- neither does Park Farm which was my first choice, but that's full... 😞

An (ex) work colleage used to moor there and initially found the getting in and out a bit tricky and said he was only going to stay short term untill he found something better. Anyway he stayed in the end as he got used to it. Ive lost contact with him now so I dont know if he is still there.

I also seem to recall him saying it was quite sheltered and not too open so was less affected by the wind than our marina mooring of the time (Mercia) so manouvering on windy days was a tad easier.

Edited by M_JG

On 28/06/2023 at 15:40, haggis said:

The Black Prince base at Acton Bridge (on the canal) have several on line moorings and there is a car park where hirers leave their cars. Might be worth a call.  Handy for the Leigh Arms 🙂 

We were very happy there when Phil and Margaret Dowling ran it. Mind you that was 20 plus years ago.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

As usual every option has personal plus and minus points -- Uplands plus points for me are having space (BIG one!!!) and being in the location I wanted, layout is a small negative one, cost is lower than many others. It's not posh and doesn't have much in the way of facilities but that doesn't bother me -- neither does Park Farm which was my first choice (and even cheaper!), but that's full... 😞

It’s only money to quote someone famous. Small cost of being a new boat owner.😜

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

We were very happy there when Phil and Margaret Dowling ran it. Mind you that was 20 plus years ago.

Same here! Although Danny who runs it now was there then too. We pass there quite often and exchange greetings. If Margaret is on board their boat when we pass we stop for a chat but she is often away visiting family etc 

• Greenie 1