Marinas/moorings north of Middlewich

IanD

Featured Posts

I've been there a few times (pre ABC takeover) and also been serviced a number of times at Anderton Marina. The two are literally opposite each other, it makes sense they are now merged. I can't see any downsides with the merge, so no worries there. Regarding getting in (and out), yes its "interesting", in that there's a marina entrance wide pool area, in which you have to turn 90deg (approx) and line up exactly with the 7' wide entrance. Its definitely one of the tightest I've ever seen. No worries though, it shouldn't be a determining factor.

I believe the mooring style is there's slender, long pontoons and water 3x boat widths wide in between each. So each pontoon has 7 boats each side, and the 7' channel down the middle for getting in and out. If you're happy with this arrangement, cool. The staff were friendly and the services pretty competitively priced, otherwise we'd have not gone in it. I believe now, they are on price parity with Anderton/ABC, and they have an online servicing area, so no need for passing boat(er)s to ever need to go in and out now.

Its quite a small marina. I'd say that can be an advantage, especially now they're paired with Anderton over the road. 

(Info based on Feb 2023, might be a bit out of date now?).

Edited by Paul C
  • Greenie 1

On 28/06/2023 at 13:30, IanD said:

The problem with an online mooring is having somewhere secure to leave the car for weeks at a time -- and leave the boat for even longer in between...

You've probably heard about this, but just in case: 

If an online mooring of some sort looks feasible and parking is the only snag, there is a parking website that I used to use when I still kept the car.

https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/

It works by people basically renting out their driveways or other parking locations, and you pay the rent charge for however long you need the space.

Some places are a rip off, but many are in pretty safe rural locations, and the charges aren't usually horrific. 

I even found a parking place near Swanley Bridge (although the first one 'disappeared' the day before I was due to leave the car there, due to some kind of admin cockup). 

They are common enough that you'll usually find a space that you can reach by bike, so no problem dropping the car off at the parking spot and riding back to the boat. 

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Paul C said:

I've been there a few times (pre ABC takeover) and also been serviced a number of times at Anderton Marina. The two are literally opposite each other, it makes sense they are now merged. I can't see any downsides with the merge, so no worries there. Regarding getting in (and out), yes its "interesting", in that there's a marina entrance wide pool area, in which you have to turn 90deg (approx) and line up exactly with the 7' wide entrance. Its definitely one of the tightest I've ever seen. No worries though, it shouldn't be a determining factor.

I believe the mooring style is there's slender, long pontoons and water 3x boat widths wide in between each. So each pontoon has 7 boats each side, and the 7' channel down the middle for getting in and out. If you're happy with this arrangement, cool. The staff were friendly and the services pretty competitively priced, otherwise we'd have not gone in it. I believe now, they are on price parity with Anderton/ABC, and they have an online servicing area, so no need for passing boat(er)s to ever need to go in and out now.

Its quite a small marina. I'd say that can be an advantage, especially now they're paired with Anderton over the road. 

(Info based on Feb 2023, might be a bit out of date now?).

Thanks for the recommendation, I was already aware of the long/narrow pontoons 🙂

Anderton and Uplands aren't on price parity, a 60' boat at Anderton is £396/£3840 per/month/year compared to £285/£2880 at Uplands -- I guess this is because Anderton is newer/posher with more facilities, which I don't need.

ABC.jpg

I meant the services are now on price parity, for example if/when fuel prices vary, they make sure they're not charging differently.

I am not surprised the mooring rates, differ, because of the different style of pontoons. The Anderton setup favours people regularly going in and out, indeed they run a hire base from there too.

17 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I meant the services are now on price parity, for example if/when fuel prices vary, they make sure they're not charging differently.

I am not surprised the mooring rates, differ, because of the different style of pontoons. The Anderton setup favours people regularly going in and out, indeed they run a hire base from there too.

Understood, it read like you meant mooring fees since that's what was mentioned earlier.

I've hired from there several times... 😉