Marinas/moorings north of Middlewich

IanD

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

All the marinas I'm considering are within reasonably easy reach of a railway station, because not everyone likely to use the boat has a car 🙂

Noted. What we hadn't factored in was that 'a short taxi ride from the station to the marina' is somewhat dependent on there being a taxi!

Alec

4 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Noted. What we hadn't factored in was that 'a short taxi ride from the station to the marina' is somewhat dependent on there being a taxi!

Alec

Been there before (getting someone to Trevor basin when they'd just missed the once-an-hour bus from Ruabon). Fortunately the pub landlord had a taxi card that actually worked... 😉

(by "easy reach" I meant "walkable if you have to")

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, haggis said:

Park farm is within walkable distance from Northwich station , or a short taxi ride. In fact there are several taxi drivers moored in the marina. 

That's one think in its favour. Might be a bit full though, let's see what they say...

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2022 at 20:48, IanD said:

That's one think in its favour. Might be a bit full though, let's see what they say...

Been trying to get a reply out of Park Farm for some time now, no answer to several emails... 😞

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Been trying to get a reply out of Park Farm for some time now, no answer to several emails... 😞

Bit of a long shot, but the Haggises may have some more up to date contact details, might be worth sending a message to ask for the phone number they use to contact the relevant marina staff.

15 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Bit of a long shot, but the Haggises may have some more up to date contact details, might be worth sending a message to ask for the phone number they use to contact the relevant marina staff.

Thanks, I've got the number now 🙂

• 7 months later...
On 02/11/2022 at 11:14, IanD said:

Thanks for helping out -- just spoke to Dave on the phone, sounds like a nice guy, all sorted 🙂

Unfortunately Dave tells me that Park Farm is full -- at least, no 60' spaces -- because nobody's moving or leaving... 😞

Will try Orchard (anyone know if they're full?) then Uplands/Anderton (ABC, pricey but allow moving around). Any comments or other suggestions?

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

Unfortunately Dave tells me that Park Farm is full -- at least, no 60' spaces -- because nobody's moving or leaving... 😞

Will try Orchard (anyone know if they're full?) then Uplands/Anderton (ABC, pricey but allow moving around). Any comments or other suggestions?

Is Orchard taking any boats? Last time I passed there was no water in it, they have been redoing it for the last 3 years or so.

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

A local boater told me about an inexpensive mooring place near Acton Bridge- think he said it was called a cruising club.

If all else fails, you could try Northwich Quay marina on the Weaver. Its a lovely place, right in the middle of town but secure access, etc.

What would scare me off is the risk of floods in winter. A local told me things got very hairy indeed a few years back during a severe flood, with the pontoons raised right to the top of their support pillars, and boaters asked to evacuate their boats. 

Still, maybe worth a thought, if only to tide you over till Park Farm have a spot.

ETA- are Nantwich/Barbridge too far as a temp spot? Nantwich looks pretty nice, and handy for lots of waterways. 

As a last resort you could even buy an online mooring spot from CRT, again for a while.  No security, but it would only be for a month or two hopefully.

Edited by Tony1

52 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is Orchard taking any boats? Last time I passed there was no water in it, they have been redoing it for the last 3 years or so.

Aargh, Oakwood is the one I meant not Orchard...

44 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

A local boater told me about an inexpensive mooring place near Acton Bridge- think he said it was called a cruising club.

If all else fails, you could try Northwich Quay marina on the Weaver. Its a lovely place, right in the middle of town but secure access, etc.

What would scare me off is the risk of floods in winter. A local told me things got very hairy indeed a few years back during a severe flood, with the pontoons raised right to the top of their support pillars, and boaters asked to evacuate their boats. 

Still, maybe worth a thought, if only to tide you over till Park Farm have a spot.

ETA- are Nantwich/Barbridge too far as a temp spot? Nantwich looks pretty nice, and handy for lots of waterways. 

As a last resort you could even buy an online mooring spot from CRT, again for a while.  No security, but it would only be for a month or two hopefully.

Acton Bridge CC is on the Weaver and they have had floods, I'm not sure I'd be happy leaving the boat there unattended in winter even moored to a rising pontoon.

Nowhere's completely "too far", the reason for picking the stretch north of Middlewich is it almost never suffers form closures/water shortages, and is central for a lot of the canals I'm likely to be visiting, both south down into Cheshire/Brum and north into the Pennines/Lancaster. Aqueduct is getting further away, Nantwich even more so.

The problem with an online mooring is having somewhere secure to leave the car for weeks at a time -- and leave the boat for even longer in between...

(Dave at Park Farm didn't think there were likely to be any more spaces later this year, possibly even the sub-60' ones he has now will be full too)

Not panicking yet, I won't need a mooring till mid-September, but need to start looking for alternatives 🙂

Edited by IanD

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

(Dave at Park Farm didn't think there were likely to be any more spaces later this year, possibly even the sub-60' ones he has now will be full too)

Not panicking yet, I won't need a mooring till mid-September, but need to start looking for alternatives 🙂

You see folk here did suggest a 57’ boat would be a better bet 🤣 

Is Tattenhall any good? It’s similar to ABC with ability to moor at their other marinas? 

Best of luck with finding somewhere decent 

Just now, haggis said:

What about one of the marinas at Anderton? One is an ABC can't remember the name of the other one. Or Aqueduct or Venetian on the Middlewich branch ? 

Both marinas there (Anderton and Uplands?) are now owned by ABC.

4 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You see folk here did suggest a 57’ boat would be a better bet 🤣 

Is Tattenhall any good? It’s similar to ABC with ability to moor at their other marinas? 

Best of luck with finding somewhere decent 

Wouldn't help, longest space was 48'... 😞

Tattenhall have a lot fewer marinas than ABC and in less attractive locations -- meaning where I want to be, not less pretty... 😉

Liked the look of the one near Audlem but we will stay at Park Farm till we move back south again ( if we ever do !). We moved north to do the Leeds and Liverpool again but every year some of it is shut 😀

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

Liked the look of the one near Audlem but we will stay at Park Farm till we move back south again ( if we ever do !). We moved north to do the Leeds and Liverpool again but every year some of it is shut 😀

Ha, so *you're* the reason there's no space at Park Farm... 😉

Trying Oakwood but they're not picking up the phone and their mailbox is full... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, IanD said:

Ha, so *you're* the reason there's no space at Park Farm... 😉

No we are only a tiddly 57 feet 🙂 . We moor in "fat boat land" but I don't think there are any 58 feet+ pontoons  there. 

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

On line moorings at Middlewich King's Lock, Stanthorne, Church Minshull, Venetian etc.

Nowhere secure to moor car when away on boat, unless you know different... 😉

1 minute ago, haggis said:

No we are only a tiddly 57 feet 🙂 . We moor in "fat boat land" but I don't think there are any 58 feet+ pontoons  there. 

Nothing longer than 48' free... 😞

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions -- please keep them coming 🙂

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Nowhere secure to moor car when away on boat, unless you know different... 😉

Nothing longer than 48' free... 😞

It's a popular place! probably because of the price as not all boaters want/need lots of facilities and tea rooms etc.  Did you suggest to Dave that if a longer mooring becomes vacant before you need it, you will take it and pay for it being empty till your boat is ready?