Marinas/moorings north of Middlewich

IanD

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's a popular place! probably because of the price as not all boaters want/need lots of facilities and tea rooms etc.  Did you suggest to Dave that if a longer mooring becomes vacant before you need it, you will take it and pay for it being empty till your boat is ready?  

Your first sentence is why I was trying to get in... 😉

I didn't because he didn't think there was much chance of that happening, he basically said that nobody's moving... 😞

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I do.

Thanks, that's really helpful -- not... 😞

Since you know, do any of those online moorings have secure car parking?

(yes I could go and look, or you could be nice and tell me)

3 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Looks like your boat has been put back also, Sept you say now?

Yes, but not all Finesse's fault, they had some delays but much shorter than that. The problem is that the plan was to spend a couple of weeks moving the boat over from Sheffield, and now we've got immovable summer weekend events like festivals coming up, plus son's GF's PhD thesis submission/revision, so we can't now go before September -- the boat will have to sit waiting at Finesse until then... 😞

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

There’s four there now waiting in the water😂

I know (but not mine!), Ricky's desperate to get them out of the door to make space, but people keep asking for last-minute changes/additions... 😉

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I know (but not mine!), Ricky's desperate to get them out of the door to make space, but people keep asking for last-minute changes/additions... 😉

Yes yours is still in the shed, as you say people seam to be reluctant to want to collect them and keep saying “can we just have/do” the yards getting full. Will be interesting if a boat gets out tomorrow😉😉

I know that Aqueduct have spaces for a 60' (at least they did a few days back), but they are mighty expensive now, £4k+ per year! Nice location though.

We have just spent a few days in Tattenhall (meeting friends and family so useful to have a base for a few days), seems very nice and around £3100 ish. The folk at Overwater are nice and helpful and you are close to Audlem and I think the Fly is still open, had a meal in there a month or so back and it was good, beer too ;).

I don't think you will get a 60' boat in at Nantwich unless one of the online moorings become free, it was chocker when we went by a few weeks back.

The online moorings at Kings Lock in Middlewich does seem to have secure parking as in there is a big set of gates that have some form of lock and I've regulalry seen many a vehicle parked in there so that could be an option, but when we came through there a short while ago the water levels were very low.

Perhaps a slightly left field suggestion but what about Swanley Marina on the golly? no idea of cost, but it is close to Hurleston Junction so ...

4 minutes ago, PCSB said:

I know that Aqueduct have spaces for a 60' (at least they did a few days back), but they are mighty expensive now, £4k+ per year! Nice location though.

We have just spent a few days in Tattenhall (meeting friends and family so useful to have a base for a few days), seems very nice and around £3100 ish. The folk at Overwater are nice and helpful and you are close to Audlem and I think the Fly is still open, had a meal in there a month or so back and it was good, beer too ;).

I don't think you will get a 60' boat in at Nantwich unless one of the online moorings become free, it was chocker when we went by a few weeks back.

The online moorings at Kings Lock in Middlewich does seem to have secure parking as in there is a big set of gates that have some form of lock and I've regulalry seen many a vehicle parked in there so that could be an option, but when we came through there a short while ago the water levels were very low.

Perhaps a slightly left field suggestion but what about Swanley Marina on the golly? no idea of cost, but it is close to Hurleston Junction so ...

Aqueduct have the same issue for me as ABC, lots of facilities I don't need/want and a price to justify them... 😞

AFAIK Kings Lock only have a 45' mooring (via the chandlery) -- are there others? Nearest CART online mooring is at Barbridge, car parking in a layby... 😞

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

The Black Prince base at Acton Bridge (on the canal) have several on line moorings and there is a car park where hirers leave their cars. Might be worth a call.  Handy for the Leigh Arms 🙂 

Hmm, interesting, I hadn't thought of hire bases with online moorings, I assumed they'd all be filled with their hire fleet...

And looking for hire bases which might have moorings, I see both Pennine Cruisers in Skipton and Shire Cruisers in Sowerby Bridge are up for sale due to imminent owner retirements. A lot more expensive than even mooring at Aqueduct though... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Hmm, interesting, I hadn't thought of hire bases with online moorings, I assumed they'd all be filled with their hire fleet...

They have private moorings both sides of the marina (through the bridges)  . Not sure how many but I think I saw on here that one was available recently. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Aqueduct have the same issue for me as ABC, lots of facilities I don't need/want and a price to justify them... 😞

AFAIK Kings Lock only have a 45' mooring (via the chandlery) -- are there others? Nearest CART online mooring is at Barbridge, car parking in a layby... 😞

Yep, aqueduct is pricey. All being well we will be in Middlewich tomorrow, one of our pups has been poorly and the vet hasasked for some samples ... I will try and remember to pop over to see if there are other options. I can always reward myself with a pint at the Kings Lock ;) 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Yep, aqueduct is pricey. All being well we will be in Middlewich tomorrow, one of our pups has been poorly and the vet hasasked for some samples ... I will try and remember to pop over to see if there are other options. I can always reward myself with a pint at the Kings Lock ;) 

Have one for me too -- the beer there was very nice last time I visited... 😉

• Greenie 1

Overwater at Audlem is decent. If you need absolutely nothing in the way of services then the offside farm moorings at Market Drayton are an option. Parking on site, no restrictions on working on the boat and winding holes 20mins one way (with services) and 40mins the other. Contract length is flexible.

Alec

Hmm, number of options is rapidly going down... 😞

Orchard -- closed

Park Farm -- full

Oakwood -- full

Anderton -- full

Uplands -- maybe, need to talk to them tomorrow...

17 hours ago, agg221 said:

Overwater at Audlem is decent. If you need absolutely nothing in the way of services then the offside farm moorings at Market Drayton are an option. Parking on site, no restrictions on working on the boat and winding holes 20mins one way (with services) and 40mins the other. Contract length is flexible.

Alec

Do you mean Ellerton Farm?

https://www.ellertonfarmmoorings.co.uk/

Park Farm at Stanthorne on the Middlewich branch have offside linear moorings, no idea if they have spaces or if suitable, but passed there today. Looks like they may be extending just before the bridge as you head towards Middlewich.

8 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Park Farm at Stanthorne on the Middlewich branch have offside linear moorings, no idea if they have spaces or if suitable, but passed there today. Looks like they may be extending just before the bridge as you head towards Middlewich.

Do you mean the offside moorings between Hughes Bridge #25 and Stanthorne visitor moorings?

stanthorne2.jpg

stanthorne.jpg

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Hmm, number of options is rapidly going down... 😞

Orchard -- closed

Park Farm -- full

Oakwood -- full

Anderton -- full

Uplands -- maybe, need to talk to them tomorrow...

Do you mean Ellerton Farm?

https://www.ellertonfarmmoorings.co.uk/

Rang Ellerton, no moorings free right now (webpage was wrong!), small chance one might come free...

I'm amazed that every marina seems to be full in the middle of summer -- doesn't anyone in them actually go out boating nowadays? 😞

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Rang Ellerton, no moorings free right now (webpage was wrong!), small chance one might come free...

I'm amazed that every marina seems to be full in the middle of summer -- doesn't anyone in them actually go out boating nowadays? 😞

Yes, we go out boating but we don't give up our mooring as it will be needed when we come back

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

Well when we went boating we were still paying for the mooring in order that we could return at the end of the trip. I would have been mightily naffed off if they had re let it whilst we were out boating.

9 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Yes, thats the place.

That's be Middlewich Moorings then...

https://middlewichmoorings.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/hello-world/

https://middlewichmoorings.wordpress.com/about/

https://yellow.place/en/middlewich-moorings-middlewich-britain

Not easy to find anything out about them -- I'll give them a ring...

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

Yes, we go out boating but we don't give up our mooring as it will be needed when we come back

If you only leave for a short period that obviously makes sense, if you go CCing for months (or the whole summer) I'd have though most boats wouldn't want to pay for a mooring they're not using.

Except that if finding one is so difficult this might be what everyone does... 😞

1 minute ago, IanD said:

That's be Middlewich Moorings then...

https://middlewichmoorings.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/hello-world/

https://middlewichmoorings.wordpress.com/about/

https://yellow.place/en/middlewich-moorings-middlewich-britain

Not easy to find anything out about them -- I'll give them a ring...

No it isn't, its a farm.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No it isn't, its a farm.

It's Park Farm, as you'd have seen if you followed either of the last two links... 😉

Edited by IanD