Sausages & bacon

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

Pricking sausages is absolutely verboten

Well, that's a new one on me. Sausages were one of the first things my mother taught me to cook (perhaps because it's hard to get them very wrong) and she impressed upon me that I must prick them with a fork. A few years later, as a Boy Scout, I was told the same thing when preparing meals at camp. So I've been doing it for over half a century, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I do wish that more sausage producers made square-section ones to avoid their rolling around in the pan.

12 hours ago, BEngo said:

Best full breakfast should include  kidneys 

N

Ooh, lawdy lawd. I love lambs' kidneys, but Mrs. Athy doesn't like the smell of them cooking, so I'm allowed them only once a year, on my birthday.

21 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So because of all this talk I have cooked Breakfast  fried Spam as sausages and bacon in freezer, mushrooms baked beans 2 runny eggs and toast  it was fabulous and a treat

SPAM, dear god, this forum is full of wierdos

9 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I know, we used to get it in tins, fantastic stuff, think it was called bacon grill back in my day.

Bacon grill is a subtlety different thing to spam, I can just about tolerate it and do have an emergency tin in the cupboard, for a real zombie apocalypse emergency obviously 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well, that's a new one on me. Sausages were one of the first things my mother taught me to cook (perhaps because it's hard to get them very wrong) and she impressed upon me that I must prick them with a fork. A few years later, as a Boy Scout, I was told the same thing when preparing meals at camp. So I've been doing it for over half a century, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I do wish that more sausage producers made square-section ones to avoid their rolling around in the pan.

Cube shaped peas would be handy. 

51 minutes ago, Athy said:

https://traymoor.co.uk/the-correct-way-to-cook-sausages/

"In days gone by, it was common for sausages to explode while cooking, hence why we call them “bangers”. This was down to the use of a range of cheap ingredients and low meat content to make them more affordable. Although pricking them reduced the possibility of the sausages exploding, this is an unnecessary step when you cook sausages of high quality. Furthermore, much of the juices will seep out resulting in a dryer, less tasty sausage."

So your mum and the boy scouts may have been right -- but surely we're talking about cooking decent sausages today, not cheap "bangers"?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Square-section sausages would still go cylindrical during cooking. What you need is square sausage (aka Lorne sausage) without which no Scottish breakfast is complete!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Ooh, lawdy lawd. I love lambs' kidneys, but Mrs. Athy doesn't like the smell of them cooking, so I'm allowed them only once a year, on my birthday.

Lambs' kidneys can be the basis of an excellent pasta sauce too!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

It's a forces thing, it comes in ration packs 

Not any more it doesn't, and hasn't for many years now unfortunately.

Everything's boil in the bag nowadays. All day breakfast in a bag, vegetarian all day breakfast in a bag. Chicken sausages and beans...in a bag.

And to cater for the more modern youth of today's forces, we also now have several flavours of muesli in them too. Probably half of a box of 10 24 hour packs contain muesli !

• Horror 1

2 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Everything's boil in the bag nowadays. All day breakfast in a bag, vegetarian all day breakfast in a bag. Chicken sausages and beans...in a bag.

And to cater for the more modern youth of today's forces, we also now have several flavours of muesli in them too. Probably half of a box of 10 24 hour packs contain muesli !

It's sad really but progress I suppose 

3 hours ago, gatekrash said:

What, no more Cheese Posessed, beech nut chewing gum and shiny bog paper, disaster. The tin openers were always good, i still got some.

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

What, no more Cheese Posessed, beech nut chewing gum and shiny bog paper, disaster. The tin openers were always good, i still got some.

The Beech Nut machine outside our shop threw a fit one evening and started giving chewing gum for free, all flavours. 5 mins later we scuttled off, trouser pockets bulging, kept it secret from me mam or she would have made me take it back 😂

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Cheese possessed (lovely stuff it was) has been replaced by cheese spread in a pouch which is vile stuff and tastes of cheesy grease. 

Lots of curries, spicy burritos and the like (in bags) these days. No chocolate bars either, and the boiled sweets have gone too.

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

Once poxy celebrity chefs started to ponce about with sausages and EU edicts started to specify minimum meat content, the absolutely necessary ingredient, cereal, (or breadcrumbs) virtually disappeared. This stopped one being able to cook them properly with a nice brown skin and firm textured inner, flavoured with the natural fat from the meat. In post war rationing sausages eked out the meagre rations and were the staple of many meals.

Pricking the sausage was done to stop them splitting, but pricking 'boutique' sausages just leaves you with a wodge of fried mince and veg/herbs which to me are like the kings new clothes where the majority are cajoled into seeing what others want them to see.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Once poxy celebrity chefs started to ponce about with sausages and EU edicts started to specify minimum meat content, the absolutely necessary ingredient, cereal, (or breadcrumbs) virtually disappeared. This stopped one being able to cook them properly with a nice brown skin and firm textured inner, flavoured with the natural fat from the meat.

The sausages I tend to buy end up with a nice brown skin, and a firm textured inner. I find the Heck brand quite nice, where the pack states 97% pork meat, but have bought others and ended up with the same result.