Sausages & bacon

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

On 01/09/2022 at 22:43, Machpoint005 said:

I've never heard of square sausage laced with whisky. Where can you get it?

Square sausage is known as Lorne Sausage, tends to be quite coarse, it fits a Scotch Roll perfectly. May

be liberally laced with preservative!

Google butcher Bailieston or MacDougall who were from Garrowhill,, now Ronnie MacD has moved the the West End, he also does online sales. I can remember them as kiddies. We  were local bakers and cooked their pies for them. Grandfather MacDougal tipped me 2/6 for delivering his pies! I had just got my diving licence, I was seventeen.

Edited by LadyG

• 1 month later...
On 31/08/2022 at 22:23, mrsmelly said:

I luuuurv shit on a raft but not many places do it. Shit on a raft for brekky and Babies heads for dinna, what could be better :)

Yuk. Don’t like offal, it’s awful. Blood filter and urine strainers.

55 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I don't mind Offal, but how can anyone eat Tripe?

It's well washed, very dark grey when first seen  The cow has about seven stomach compartments as I recall, and some fancy patterns

Edited by LadyG

On 31/08/2022 at 18:35, Hudds Lad said:

Its harder and harder to find a decent banger from a supermarket these days, either processed to death containing who knows what

or the so-called “premium” ones that seem to have as much breadcrumb as meat giving an odd lumpy texture :( 

Only ever get dry cured bacon, nobody wants a fry pan half full of the water they inject the meat with to bring up the weight 🤢

What all sausages and bacon do contain are nitrates and nitrites used as preservatives. All well below legal limits of course and harmless as naturally occurring chemicals. However they are linked to cancer due to chemical changes which take place during the cooking process. So while it's good to enjoy one's food, eating preserved meats as part of your daily diet might not be a good idea. Best to eat them occasionally as a treat rather than daily.

https://www.specialityfoodmagazine.com/food-and-drink/should-the-uk-ban-nitrates-in-processed-meat-products

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

What all sausages and bacon do contain are nitrates and nitrites used as preservatives. All well below legal limits of course and harmless as naturally occurring chemicals. However they are linked to cancer due to chemical changes which take place during the cooking process. So while it's good to enjoy one's food, eating preserved meats as part of your daily diet might not be a good idea. Best to eat them occasionally as a treat rather than daily.

https://www.specialityfoodmagazine.com/food-and-drink/should-the-uk-ban-nitrates-in-processed-meat-products

And if you read the article (and other ones) it also points out the negative points of getting rid of nitrates, which may well outweigh the health benefits of this.

As usual, it's a complicated subject with no easy answer... 😉

25 minutes ago, IanD said:

And if you read the article (and other ones) it also points out the negative points of getting rid of nitrates, which may well outweigh the health benefits of this.

As usual, it's a complicated subject with no easy answer... 😉

Yes of course. I wasn't advocating getting rid of nitrates and nitrites as they are there for a reason. I just suggested consuming less of them.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes of course. I wasn't advocating getting rid of nitrates and nitrites as they are there for a reason. I just suggested consuming less of them.

Agreed, and of course the same applies to many other foods that are "bad for you" (mainly the nice ones) -- moderation is fine, excess is not... 🙂

3 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

There was nothing to beat sausages and bacon fried up over the blow lamp while the Seffle was heating up :)

Except maybe bacon and eggs cooked on a shovel in a firebox, mmm... 😉

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, IanD said:

Except maybe bacon and eggs cooked on a shovel in a firebox, mmm... 😉

Bacon and eggs can certainly be cooked on a shovel heated by the firebox  but it is much safer to get the shovel nice and hot, extract it from the fire then cook bacon,  adding eggs to fry in the bacon fat.  That way your snap does not disappear into the tubes when the driver opens the regulator☹😭

N

• Greenie 1

Just now, BEngo said:

Bacon and eggs can certainly be cooked on a shovel heated by the firebox  but it is much safer to get the shovel nice and hot, extract it from the fire then cook bacon,  adding eggs to fry in the bacon fat.  That way your snap does not disappear into the tubes when the driver opens the regulator☹😭

N

The engine was stationary at the time... 😉

(also it's bloody hot in a live firebox, if you left the shovel in there all the time you end up with a cremated breakfast. DAMHIK...)

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 10:14, blackrose said:

Black Country sausages, from the Co op 

Split in half and fry with a drop of oil.

All sausages improve if you caramelize the meat 

Preservatives are in lots of foods, but in the last hundred years people have lived longer. So don't worry about that.

Worry more about the residual chemical sprays on fruits and vegetables 

Edited by LadyG

On 19/11/2022 at 13:14, LadyG said:

Black Country sausages, from the Co op 

Split in half and fry with a drop of oil.

All sausages improve if you caramelize the meat 

Preservatives are in lots of foods, but in the last hundred years people have lived longer. So don't worry about that.

Worry more about the residual chemical sprays on fruits and vegetables 

Splitting good sausages in half is even worse than pricking them -- with or without a fork... 😉

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Splitting good sausages in half is even worse than pricking them -- with or without a fork... 😉

So wrong, the standard premium sausage has some flavour, but browning them takes flavour from three stars to five. Give it a go.

On 19/11/2022 at 13:19, haggis said:

With good sausages you don't need to add any oil to cook them in and they should just produce enough " liquid" to cook without leaving any oil in the pan. 

Only need a drop of oil if the pan is completely dry, but this is for Black Country brand, they have jumped from £3 to £3 50 this week: supply and demand in action :)

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So wrong, the standard premium sausage has some flavour, but browning them takes flavour from three stars to five. Give it a go.

Only need a drop of oil if the pan is completely dry, but this is for Black Country brand, they have jumped from £3 to £3 50 this week: supply and demand in action :)

Like I said, good sausages -- every decent chef (and I've tried this at home and confirmed it) says that pricking them lets the "juice" (be it fat or other liquid) escape and you and up with a dry tasteless sausage. Browning adds flavour to the skin, not the contents. For example...

https://traymoor.co.uk/the-correct-way-to-cook-sausages/

Don’t prick them.

In days gone by, it was common for sausages to explode while cooking, hence why we call them “bangers”. This was down to the use of a range of cheap ingredients and low meat content to make them more affordable. Although pricking them reduced the possibility of the sausages exploding, this is an unnecessary step when you cook sausages of high quality. Furthermore, much of the juices will seep out resulting in a dryer, less tasty sausage.

42 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You in Tod yet?

Go to the indoor market and use the butcher at the back on the right.

Ask for lambs liver and they’ll cut you a lovely fresh big juicy slice 🤤.

They’ll slice bacon for you too.

And the sausages are good.

buying from the coop when you’ve good butchers 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Goliath