Jump to content

Taking the plunge


Featured Posts

I'm so pleased we kept our house. We lived for 25years on our boat and then Hubby had a stroke. One day cruising, the next hospitalized. We sold the boat and house and have a very convenient bungalow. It's now 8 years on and I dread to think what life would have been like without that option. Hubby would have been trapped all this time inside a narrowboat stuck in a marina.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate facebook except for marketplace where things are often cheaper than ebay and less hassle.

Here is the text

Advertising for a friend Albion built in 1988 in a Lincoln tug style by Eddishaw & Jenkins. The fit out was carried out by Messers Lugg & Copp She has a Lister JP3M engine fitted that turns freely by hand & the gearbox operates as it should. Requires the interior stripping out & shot blasting the entire hull inside and out & then refitting. The style of the boat would ideally suit a traditionalist rather than convert to a modern style. The boat has been sat in a field for many years but been off the ground. The wooden interior has stuffed from water ingress through various port holes that have been stolen. We have had the hull surveyed and we have the report that can be view by any interested parties. The survey results were very good and it appears the hull requires no plating. The worst wasting of steelwork is in the super structure around a couple of missing portholes. Please message through Facebook or ring/message 07784568308 for more information
 
Weymouth, England
Location is approximate
 

 

 
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I hate facebook except for marketplace where things are often cheaper than ebay and less hassle.

Here is the text

Advertising for a friend Albion built in 1988 in a Lincoln tug style by Eddishaw & Jenkins. The fit out was carried out by Messers Lugg & Copp She has a Lister JP3M engine fitted that turns freely by hand & the gearbox operates as it should. Requires the interior stripping out & shot blasting the entire hull inside and out & then refitting. The style of the boat would ideally suit a traditionalist rather than convert to a modern style. The boat has been sat in a field for many years but been off the ground. The wooden interior has stuffed from water ingress through various port holes that have been stolen. We have had the hull surveyed and we have the report that can be view by any interested parties. The survey results were very good and it appears the hull requires no plating. The worst wasting of steelwork is in the super structure around a couple of missing portholes. Please message through Facebook or ring/message 07784568308 for more information
 
Weymouth, England
Location is approximate
 

 

 
 

 

 

Thank you.  A hull worth saving.  Its a long way away in a difficult location.

Is there a price mentioned?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank you.  A hull worth saving.  Its a long way away in a difficult location.

Is there a price mentioned?

 

 

This is the inside

 

 

 

image.png.c1f83463410f28ba79c52cbc8306708b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work for a district council - we don't offer any kind of skip hire but we do have a bulky waste collection service - £10 an item i think it might be.

 

Last time i rented a property out the agents wanted 25% for a fully managed service.  That was a good few years ago though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

 

Can't find any reference to this as an offer from Manchester City Council. Lots if info on bins and collections, but no skip hire.

 

They will collect 3 large items for free, or 6 items for £27, (once a year), and that's it.

 

It would be interesting to see which council offers the service to you? and when you last used it?

As always, there is no bloomin standard of rules that we can all abide by. For instance, at my house here in Ceredigion we have the different types of rubbish collected weekly, with the black household rubbish bags being taken every three weeks. We can put out as many black bags as we want, with no limit. 200 yards down the same street is Carmarthenshire, a friend lives there and he is only allowed 3 black bags each time unless he has specificaly requested the council to take more and been given permission.

Bonkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/04/2022 at 10:12, Slow and Steady said:

There are plenty of people in the UK that do not own a house, approx 1/3 of households, you'll be no worse off than they are.

But, if there's any way you can have a boat and a house, that's the way forward IMO. At the moment, you won't loose anything on a second hand boat, it might even keep up with inflation.

 

The only reason they rent is that they can't afford to buy a house.

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The only reason to rent is that they can't afford to buy a house.

Of course! But they don't end up sleeping under a hedge, it's not the end of the world. It's a mental security thing in this country where changes in the law over the past 40 years have made renting more and more insecure in order to encourage the housing market. I once owned a rather natty house which is now up to £750,000 but things out of my control changed and I can't even stretch to a small flat now. Best laid plans and all that!

Edited by Slow and Steady
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The only reason they rent is that they can't afford to buy a house.

Not at all in every case. Quite a lot of people rent for the freedom of it. A dear friend who rents in Scotland has income to buy no problem, he rents as a choice and rents the kinds of properties very hard to find to buy. One of my daughters on a bloody good salary rents a house in Cardiff, she also owns one in Cornwall. We rented a house in Chipping Norton as well as owning the boat we lived on and a house we owned in cornwall. There will be many many cases of rental by choice. The stupidity of the con that banks work is they wont allow some people to buy a property, yet those people prove they are capable by paying their way by more expensive rental all their lives in some cases. If buy to let were made illegal, that would be a brilliant thing, but too many people would moan about losing their easy income.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not at all in every case. Quite a lot of people rent for the freedom of it. A dear friend who rents in Scotland has income to buy no problem, he rents as a choice and rents the kinds of properties very hard to find to buy. One of my daughters on a bloody good salary rents a house in Cardiff, she also owns one in Cornwall. We rented a house in Chipping Norton as well as owning the boat we lived on and a house we owned in cornwall. There will be many many cases of rental by choice.….

 

…. If buy to let were made illegal, that would be a brilliant thing, but too many people would moan about losing their easy income.

This seems contradictory. I have a buy to let flat in Aberdeen, all my tenants have wanted somewhere to live just for a year or two due to work contracts, education etc, not worth the hassle and cost of buying and then selling 2 years later.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This seems contradictory. I have a buy to let flat in Aberdeen, all my tenants have wanted somewhere to live just for a year or two due to work contracts, education etc, not worth the hassle and cost of buying and then selling 2 years later.

Yes it can seem contradictory, but fact is as you and I both say, lots of people do rent as a choice. To be honest I am still wondering why I spent all this bloody beer money on this house :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

The only reason they rent is that they can't afford to buy a house.

 

I disagree. "Mobility of labour" is an important concept in economics. If your country has a labour force which cannot move around because there are no houses to rent, it is a handicap to the operation of the national economy. Or so ISTR learning in economics lessons at skool. 

 

 

A healthy rental market is important for governments to maintain.

 

 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

I disagree. "Mobility of labour" is an important concept in economics. If your country has a labour force which cannot move around because there are no houses to rent, it is a handicap to the operation of the national economy. Or so ISTR learning in economics lessons at skool. 

 

 

A healthy rental market is important for governments to maintain.

 

 

On yer bike pal!  😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.