Jump to content

Taking the plunge


Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You can get an 18 cubic metre skip for around £100, problem solved.

 

Point of order...

 

More like £275. See here:

 

https://skiphire.services/prices/

 

Pretty certain I've had to pay over £300 in the past. Usually a bit cheaper nowadays to use one of the many "We clear your rubbish" firms, IME. Provided you can trust them not to dump it all in a lane somewhere.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bubblebuster said:

 

 

18 minutes ago, Bubblebuster said:

Renting our house out also not on the cards

we also considered this. All the hassle of home ownership with none of the benefits. We rent out another property and I speak from experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Go do it whilst you can.

Do not spend a load on a near new boat, buy an old one in good order for less and let the house out for a while. It is a wonderful time to have the income from a property. You can get 8% to 12% return, an agent will look after it and sort the tenants out for a small fee.  Sell it when you are sure of what you want in the next boat.

That gives you a bolt hole if you find you can't cope on a boat.

Worry not about when you can no longer go boating. By then you will be incapable of living in a house without support anyway so you may as well  be in a care home or better still in Thailand being looked after far better for far less. Or even dead. Cheaper still!

House emptying can be fun. Sell all you can, give away what you can, Skip the rest, no one wants brown furniture, or all the tat that we collect in our lives.

You can get an 18 cubic metre skip for around £100, problem solved.

 

Welcome to the wonderful life away from neighbours, councils, door knockers, traffic, council tax, tiles falling of roofs, overgrown gardens etc etc etc.

Renting out :-

Agent will charge for a fully managed rental the first months rent then 15% of the gross monthly rent.

They will rip you off for repairs (you will be on your boat so can't do even simple jobs).

I paid £120 for a light bulb to be replaced.

I paid "Drain Doctor" £240 to put sink un blocker down a drain.

All the payments were taken out of the rent collected.

I average 50% net of the rent collected.

 

Laurie

 

PS Where can I get a skip for £100?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bubblebuster said:

Equity release? Not in this lifetime - it's akin to giving half the value of your house away!

Terrible idea and only for the desperate.

I got a mailshot about equity release from Aviva the other day. It had photographs of happy older people with text like "John and Mary's house is worth £250,000 and they released £50,000 to go on a world cruise and extend their house" and "Susan, 72, released £20,000 to help her grandchildren through university". Then in the small print at the bottom it said all examples were fictitious and the pictures were posed by models!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I got a mailshot about equity release from Aviva the other day. It had photographs of happy older people with text like "John and Mary's house is worth £250,000 and they released £50,000 to go on a world cruise and extend their house" and "Susan, 72, released £20,000 to help her grandchildren through university". Then in the small print at the bottom it said all examples were fictitious and the pictures were posed by models!

😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Renting out :-

Agent will charge for a fully managed rental the first months rent then 15% of the gross monthly rent.

They will rip you off for repairs (you will be on your boat so can't do even simple jobs).

I paid £120 for a light bulb to be replaced.

I paid "Drain Doctor" £240 to put sink un blocker down a drain.

All the payments were taken out of the rent collected.

I average 50% net of the rent collected.

After paying an agent the best part of the first month's rent to set up the tenancy, then 10% of the rent thereafter, when the first tenants left and the agent showed no great interest in finding another, we decided to go DIY via Open Rent. Modest charges for the tenancy agreement, referencing and setting up the deposit, and no fees thereafter (although they will collect rent for a flat rate charge if you want). And we found our own tenants by word of mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I got a mailshot about equity release from Aviva the other day. It had photographs of happy older people with text like "John and Mary's house is worth £250,000 and they released £50,000 to go on a world cruise and extend their house" and "Susan, 72, released £20,000 to help her grandchildren through university". Then in the small print at the bottom it said all examples were fictitious and the pictures were posed by models!

 

They never send me any of their rubbish like this, despite me having a pension with them! (A pension fund probably worth less than the sum of my contributions...) 

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

After paying an agent the best part of the first month's rent to set up the tenancy, then 10% of the rent thereafter, when the first tenants left and the agent showed no great interest in finding another, we decided to go DIY via Open Rent. Modest charges for the tenancy agreement, referencing and setting up the deposit, and no fees thereafter (although they will collect rent for a flat rate charge if you want). And we found our own tenants by word of mouth.

 

 

Although nowadays it's unusual for me to have a tenant leave, as often as not when it does happen they tend to suggest friends or acquaintances as replacement tenants. This works very well as each of us us gets trustworthy references about the other! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Laurie Booth said:

Renting out :-

Agent will charge for a fully managed rental the first months rent then 15% of the gross monthly rent.

They will rip you off for repairs (you will be on your boat so can't do even simple jobs).

I paid £120 for a light bulb to be replaced.

I paid "Drain Doctor" £240 to put sink un blocker down a drain.

All the payments were taken out of the rent collected.

I average 50% net of the rent collected.

 

Laurie

 

PS Where can I get a skip for £100?

 

Crikey - I think you just need to change your agent. We've only ever paid 10% and our agent manages absolutely everything and has done for the past 7 year or so. Repair costs are reasonable too. It's more the responsibility than the cost that gets to me over time, I'd like to be free of it all. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, missingtheboat said:

Crikey - I think you just need to change your agent. We've only ever paid 10% and our agent manages absolutely everything and has done for the past 7 year or so. Repair costs are reasonable too. It's more the responsibility than the cost that gets to me over time, I'd like to be free of it all. 

 

 

Many agents around here charge 10% plus VAT, which works out at 12% in total.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

 

Many agents around here charge 10% plus VAT, which works out at 12% in total.

Our previous agent quoted something like that on their website, but unprompted offered a "special rate" of 8% + VAT i.e. 9.6%. But I prefer our current 0% rate !

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lady C said:

Selling the house also releases equity but equity release leaves you with a bricks & mortar alternative rather than eventually expecting others to pay for your housing.  There are costs associated with both options.


I suppose that is true, however it’s a shockingly bad value for money method to raise funds. For instance if you decide to release £50,000 at age 55, by the time you’re 85 you estate owes them £162,000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MtB said:

 

Point of order...

 

More like £275. See here:

 

https://skiphire.services/prices/

 

Pretty certain I've had to pay over £300 in the past. Usually a bit cheaper nowadays to use one of the many "We clear your rubbish" firms, IME. Provided you can trust them not to dump it all in a lane somewhere.

 

 

No point of order, if you get a skip for household from the local council it is much cheaper.  And they don't fly tip!

2 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Renting out :-

Agent will charge for a fully managed rental the first months rent then 15% of the gross monthly rent.

They will rip you off for repairs (you will be on your boat so can't do even simple jobs).

I paid £120 for a light bulb to be replaced.

I paid "Drain Doctor" £240 to put sink un blocker down a drain.

All the payments were taken out of the rent collected.

I average 50% net of the rent collected.

 

Laurie

 

PS Where can I get a skip for £100?

 

My agents have never ripped me off and I pay far less than those figures. I pay 10% on the gross monthly take., get gas and electric checks at much reduced rates,

 

Council skip. Household waste only. Gets recycled.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think at the moment you should hang fire on everything.

If Russia prevails in Ukraine, we will be economically at the mercy of Russia and China.

If Ukraine succeeds in driving Russian forces out of their country, we will all suffer the cost of this. 

Whatever the outcome, a recession or even a depression is inevitable as fuel and food and inflation will rise even more.

The result will be that we will all be poorer, and that will affect the price of housing and boating.

It could be that boat prices will drop, but the cost of keeping one, licence, insurance,mooring costs and fuel will rise.

Add to that the cost of maintaining the canals, and the uncertainty of CRT's future funding, I feel very gloomy about the future of canal boating.

Perhaps my thoughts should be in the Politics section, but this is just what my feelings are about starting a new life on the canals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mad Harold said:

I think at the moment you should hang fire on everything.

If Russia prevails in Ukraine, we will be economically at the mercy of Russia and China.

If Ukraine succeeds in driving Russian forces out of their country, we will all suffer the cost of this. 

Whatever the outcome, a recession or even a depression is inevitable as fuel and food and inflation will rise even more.

The result will be that we will all be poorer, and that will affect the price of housing and boating.

It could be that boat prices will drop, but the cost of keeping one, licence, insurance,mooring costs and fuel will rise.

Add to that the cost of maintaining the canals, and the uncertainty of CRT's future funding, I feel very gloomy about the future of canal boating.

Perhaps my thoughts should be in the Politics section, but this is just what my feelings are about starting a new life on the canals.

I an too old and knackered to care. House prices will not fall, there is to much pent up demand and it is getting more every day as we take in the worlds cast offs. Boat prices will slow but there will be the same demand for living on as there is now, its just that there will be no where to put them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I an too old and knackered to care. House prices will not fall, there is to much pent up demand and it is getting more every day as we take in the worlds cast offs. Boat prices will slow but there will be the same demand for living on as there is now, its just that there will be no where to put them!

 

 

Narrowboats would fit beautifully in those long back gardens the tend to lurk behind terraced houses all over the UK...

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All though not a great believer in BTL for purely investment purposes, I think in the OP case it may well be worth considering the rental option, particularly as there seem to be a lot of people who have sold a property prior to buying another one who are looking for "short term" / 6 month rentals. If you are not local (or living in Wales which requires registration / exams to be a landlord), then an agent is essential. Even if you did not make any money, (unlikely), you would still be retaining the value of the property should you ever change your mind, and potentially any rental income could go towards paying off a loan if you need one to fund a boat purchase?

Edited by Donkey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No point of order, if you get a skip for household from the local council it is much cheaper.  And they don't fly tip!

 

Really? I've never heard of that, thanks! I'll make some enquiries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No point of order, if you get a skip for household from the local council it is much cheaper. 

 

Can't find any reference to this as an offer from Manchester City Council. Lots if info on bins and collections, but no skip hire.

 

They will collect 3 large items for free, or 6 items for £27, (once a year), and that's it.

 

It would be interesting to see which council offers the service to you? and when you last used it?

Edited by Richard10002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was Stockport I think. We were in Cheadle at the time.  Mmmmm, its been a while, time does go faster when you get older.

 

 

 

 

 

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

 

Can't find any reference to this as an offer from Manchester City Council. Lots if info on bins and collections, but no skip hire.

 

They will collect 3 large items for free, or 6 items for £27, (once a year), and that's it.

 

It would be interesting to see which council offers the service to Tracey?

 

Edited by Tracy D'arth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

This one on facebook might be worth a punt

May be an image of animal and outdoors

 

Careful, you will start a debate about whether cows can safely travel on tne counter... 😂🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.