Diesel price

dave mackie

Featured Posts

Well I have had a wander out today in my electric boat, when I threw Oscars Frizby it went to far and landed in the canal! The sun was shining so I though I would go and rescue it which involves going a mile up the canal turning around and 2 miles down to where Frizby was. I took the opportunity to look at the new flood defenses and wind up the paddles on the locks to increase the flow, anyway all in all out for one and a half hours and it cost nowt batteries are charging from solar but hardly any drop in voltage for this little cruise. I also have to report to CRT that some of their railings have dropped in the canal!! plus trees are blocking the canal and need cutting back

Edited by peterboat
  • Happy 2

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Well I have had a wander out today in my electric boat, when I threw Oscars Frizby it went to far and landed in the canal! The sun was shining so I though I would go and rescue it which involves going a mile up the canal turning around and 2 miles down to where Frizby was. I took the opportunity to look at the new flood defenses and wind up the paddles on the locks to increase the flow, anyway all in all out for one and a half hours and it cost nowt batteries are charging from solar but hardly any drop in voltage for this little cruise. I also have to report to CRT that some of their railings have dropped in the canal!! plus trees are blocking the canal and need cutting back

image.jpeg.74f25bc9fb4b9d2f9b1731604c78922a.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Alan a little gloat is allowed ,given the amount of it will never work I have received over the years.

I remember being a disbeliever first time I heard about it. I'm very pleased to have been proved wrong and better informed!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

37 minutes ago, peterboat said:

How much did it cost you to convert the boat to electric drive?

I suspect even with current diesel prices, that for the average boater it would take a long time for the electric conversion to pay for itself.

39 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Three miles then eh Peter, about as far as a leccy car before it needs pushing ............unless its got a " Range extender " ;)

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Three miles then eh Peter, about as far as a leccy car before it needs pushing ............unless its got a " Range extender " ;)

I thought you were going to say the length of his shore supply lead.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I suspect even with current diesel prices, that for the average boater it would take a long time for the electric conversion to pay for itself.

The sale of the engine paid for the drive batteries the rest a think 2k ish would cover it as I had and traded stuff leading up to the conversion.  All new would have been a different kettle of fish. Also my license reduction has saved me over 800 pounds since conversion. For me it's a win for others not so

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If only I went to the broads and back for 6 squids  the boat suits me I am bored after a couple of hours so stop to walk the dog! I don't get the marathon journeys where you don't see owt. But I can do 10 hours on a sunny day virtually from the sun

42 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I remember being a disbeliever first time I heard about it. I'm very pleased to have been proved wrong and better informed!

I knew it would work Arthur but how well is always the question. For me it works great and suits my laid back cruising style 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The sale of the engine paid for the drive batteries the rest a think 2k ish would cover it as I had and traded stuff leading up to the conversion.  All new would have been a different kettle of fish. Also my license reduction has saved me over 800 pounds since conversion. For me it's a win for others not so

If only I went to the broads and back for 6 squids  the boat suits me I am bored after a couple of hours so stop to walk the dog! I don't get the marathon journeys where you don't see owt. But I can do 10 hours on a sunny day virtually from the sun

I agree re the marathon journeys. I remember when we first boated we did eighteen million miles a day. After a few years it became a couple of hours saunter, just time to top batteries up, fill cauliflower with hot water and find the best mooring spots before lunch till next day :D

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree re the marathon journeys. I remember when we first boated we did eighteen million miles a day. After a few years it became a couple of hours saunter, just time to top batteries up, fill cauliflower with hot water and find the best mooring spots before lunch till next day :D

Its an age thing. we were always 12 hrs + Banbury to Napton in one shot etc.

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

Sainsburys

I've never seen prices to tenths of a penny on the canal. :) 

I image a lot aren’t even calibrated properly.

Got some once and asked for £100 worth, the pump went to £79, then the filler said that’s it £100. He then explained they lost the programme software for the pump to be re-calibrated. I knew the guy quite well and knew he wouldn’t rip me off, but if I was a total stranger it might of been different

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Got some once and asked for £100 worth, the pump went to £79, then the filler said that’s it £100. He then explained they lost the programme software for the pump to be re-calibrated. I knew the guy quite well and knew he wouldn’t rip me off, but if I was a total stranger it might of been different

I'm sure it would have. Next morning there could well be a visit from trading standards or customs and excise.

On 30/03/2022 at 19:48, mrsmelly said:

We were looking through the wifes old diarys yesterday. She mentioned that we had filled with diesel, somewhere on the maccy iirc. The diary is now back in the loft. We laughed as she had mentioned it was fifty pence a gallon. Dont know why she put the price? maybe it was cheap or something? maybe elsewhere we had paid fifty five pence a gallon? lol. In foreign measurements, fifty pence a gallon relates to about 11 pence a litre. This wasnt long ago either, it was a 1990 diary.

Turners Garage SU 14p litre, Gayton Junction 42p litre, Wille Watts 26p per litre, Stanground 23p litre (2001 prices)

33 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I'm sure it would have. Next morning there could well be a visit from trading standards or customs and excise.

Yes probably calibrated the best they could, but still showed £79 on pump not the £100 they charged. As I say I knew they would not rip me off, but a total stranger passing on a boat could argue they would only pay what the pump shows.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

How can it be calibrated when you can be paying a different price per ltr for the same delivery depending on what percentage split you declare. It could be right at 100% domestic or at 100% propulsion. 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

An hour and a half at top speed on a diesel boat would cost less than the small change in my pocket. Nothing to gloat about yet.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

An hour and a half at top speed on a diesel boat would cost less than the small change in my pocket.

Maybe you should define the 'diesel boat' you are talking about.

Some diesel boats (even those on canals) use a lot more than others.

I have twin Diesel engines that each use 28 litres an hour at 'top speed' so an hour and a half would be over 80 litres or around £150

How much small change do you have in your pocket ?

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have twin Diesel engines that each use 28 litres an hour at 'top speed' so an hour and a half would be over 80 litres or around £150

Pedantic? Moi?

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You beat me too it.

An hour and a half at top speed on our old boat would have used around 9 gallons. 

Not a cheap pass time at today's prices.

We are heading to the coast this weekend with the van and reckon the journey will be about an hour and a half and about 3 gallons each way. 

Will make it an expensive pie we are going for 🤣🤣🤣

• Love 1