Diesel price

dave mackie

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was diesel yesterday, gas today,

Ah, that explains the queues of idiots at Stalham Tesco yesterday.

(But I cant find anything on mainstream news outlets).

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 hours ago, Jonkx said:

I paid £1.59 per litre from the fuel boat on the Peak Forest two weeks ago. Ouch.

We were looking through the wifes old diarys yesterday. She mentioned that we had filled with diesel, somewhere on the maccy iirc. The diary is now back in the loft. We laughed as she had mentioned it was fifty pence a gallon. Dont know why she put the price? maybe it was cheap or something? maybe elsewhere we had paid fifty five pence a gallon? lol. In foreign measurements, fifty pence a gallon relates to about 11 pence a litre. This wasnt long ago either, it was a 1990 diary.

• Horror 1

15 hours ago, MtB said:

Pretty sure I paid about the same as that for a tankful of heating oil only last summer!

How about this for 2020

"Last orders  ... 18.55 ppl with Watsons.

Hi all,

Our next buying session is tomorrow  Tuesday 5th May"

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mind you, a great excuse for not moving

Obviously the price of diesel around London has been extortionate for the last few years then. 
  Maybe I’ll not use as much diesel as I thought this year, as looks like I’ll be on tickover a lot of the time, with all the moored up boats along the canal living the dream, but can’t afford to put diesel in their boats to move.

Joking aside, will it change people’s cruising range from their Marina(home base)and will people moor up for longer periods instead of moving?

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Joking aside, will it change people’s cruising range from their Marina(home base)and will people moor up for longer periods instead of moving?

I suspect it will make little difference, just as other price hikes in the past (including the introduction of duty on red diesel used for propulsion) haven't.

People will moan and groan for a bit, and then we will all go back to our old patterns of fuel use.  While the increases will inevitably hit some people hard, on the whole folks who can afford a boat can also afford to cover the price increase (however unwillingly).

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Makes no sense, if you were born in 1955 how old were you when you had your Son/Daughter 12😂

Nope, the wife was 17 and her first born was 17 when she had her first. I am her third husband, we are not so ancient as to use the " Step " word. I dont know anybody who still uses that kind of phrase. In reality tho if I were a dinosaur he would be my step grandson. As he doesnt know any other grandad other than me we dont use dinosaur phrases. I have several more step grandkids, and several others that havnt any steps. When I meet anyone, I dont differentiate between either kids, step kids, grand kids or step grand kids, or indeed my step great grandkids. They are all OUR kids, grand kids and great grandkids.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Nope, the wife was 17 and her first born was 17 when she had her first. I am her third husband, we are not so ancient as to use the " Step " word. I dont know anybody who still uses that kind of phrase. In reality tho if I were a dinosaur he would be my step grandson. As he doesnt know any other grandad other than me we dont use dinosaur phrases. I have several more step grandkids, and several others that havnt any steps. When I meet anyone, I dont differentiate between either kids, step kids, grand kids or step grand kids, or indeed my step great grandkids. They are all OUR kids, grand kids and great grandkids.

Totally agree withe the Step stuff, what ship is that on your pic? 

On 30/03/2022 at 19:48, mrsmelly said:

We were looking through the wifes old diarys yesterday. She mentioned that we had filled with diesel, somewhere on the maccy iirc. The diary is now back in the loft. We laughed as she had mentioned it was fifty pence a gallon. Dont know why she put the price? maybe it was cheap or something? maybe elsewhere we had paid fifty five pence a gallon? lol. In foreign measurements, fifty pence a gallon relates to about 11 pence a litre. This wasnt long ago either, it was a 1990 diary.

I recall (I think) paying 19p a gallon for diesel on the fuelling pontoon in Poole Harbour circa 1990. Just paid £7.70 a gallon for white in our local Tesco. 

Of course my spectacles may have age related rose coloured lenses. 

• Happy 1

FWIW....

When I arrived at Newcastle University in 1975 the Real Ale and Beer Society had 4 kilderkins (18 gallon barrells) of Sam Smiths beer, 2 Old Brewery Bitter and 2 4X Mild, selling at 18p a pint.

Happy days, (or perhaps daze?)

:cheers:

Edited by Victor Vectis

28 minutes ago, Slim said:

I recall (I think) paying 19p a gallon for diesel on the fuelling pontoon in Poole Harbour circa 1990.

Wasn't it the 1980s when we changed to pricing  per litre?

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

FWIW....

When I arrived at Newcastle University in 1975 the Real Ale and Beer Society had 4 kilderkins (18 gallon barrells) of Sam Smiths beer, 2 Old Brewery Bitter and 2 4X Mild, selling at 18p a pint.

About the same time, on BCN Society working parties, the lunchtime pint was around 18p for Bitter and 14p for Mild in back street Black Country pubs.

26 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

FWIW....

The early seventies was when prices first rocketed. Aged 18 in 1973 in cheap Yorkshire, the pub across the road from me, a pint of light was 11 pence. If we went a couple of miles to the WMC it was 9 pence. Twenty number six or embassy gold were twenty pence lol.

24 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Wasn't it the 1980s when we changed to pricing  per litre?

Some of us still think and convert to imperial hence my comment of paying £7.70 a gallon today. 😇

Red diesel was sold by the gallon when I had my first diesel engined boat in 1994. 

I'm sure I remember Turners at Wheaton Aston advertising it per gallon in about 1998/1999. About 65p a gallon or something. 

UK 4.54 litre gallons not those emasculated American gallons !

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Slim said:

Some of us still think and convert to imperial hence my comment of paying £7.70 a gallon today. 😇

I see you dont apply that to currency.