Diesel price

dave mackie

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How can it be calibrated when you can be paying a different price per ltr for the same delivery depending on what percentage split you declare. It could be right at 100% domestic or at 100% propulsion. 

That’s for the Marina to sort, but I always paid the price that the pump said and what I remember I’ve always paid the price what it said on the pump.

As I say the time mentioned, the pump said £79 and I paid £100, because they said they couldn’t calibrate it

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Will make it an expensive pie we are going for 🤣🤣🤣

Have a couple and you won’t feel as bad🥧🥧

Edited by PD1964

37 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That’s for the Marina to sort, but I always paid the price that the pump said and what I remember I’ve always paid the price what it said on the pump.

As I say the time mentioned, the pump said £79 and I paid £100, because they said they couldn’t calibrate it

Have a couple and you won’t feel as bad🥧🥧

We will have one each so it will be a couple. 😃

• Love 1

On 30/03/2022 at 08:14, pete.i said:

Thing is there isn't a lot of point in whinging about it on here. Rishi wotisface knocked 5p off a litre and told garages to drop their prices immediately, they didn't. The oil producing conglomerate said they would increase the number of barrels produced. That sent oil prices into a tail spin but garages still did not reduce their prices. Funny thing though almost to the day that the idiot putin walked into Ukraine petrol prices went up. I call scammers of the highest order and don't ask me to prove any of that just because you lot are to idle to look at Google. Check for yourselves.

The independant Petrol Stations may not have, but Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, and Sainburys all reduced their fuel prices by 6p a litre almost immediately after the Chancellor's statement.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I image a lot aren’t even calibrated properly.

Got some once and asked for £100 worth, the pump went to £79, then the filler said that’s it £100. He then explained they lost the programme software for the pump to be re-calibrated. I knew the guy quite well and knew he wouldn’t rip me off, but if I was a total stranger it might of been different

I remember back in the days of mechanical pump gauges there was a time when petrol stations were allowed to set the price per gallon on the pump at half the actual price, then you paid double the displayed cost. Think it might have been when petrol went over £1 per gallon, and the older pumps couldn't cope with that.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You beat me too it.

An hour and a half at top speed on our old boat would have used around 9 gallons. 

Not a cheap pass time at today's prices.

We are heading to the coast this weekend with the van and reckon the journey will be about an hour and a half and about 3 gallons each way. 

Will make it an expensive pie we are going for 🤣🤣🤣

Is it a good pie? Because they can be priceless you know 😊

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looks rubbish 🤣🤣🤣

At least the beach will be quiet and it should be warm in the pub later. Van will be toasty warm if not.

Those pies sound fantastic! We love Filey so will definitely go there 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I remember back in the days of mechanical pump gauges there was a time when petrol stations were allowed to set the price per gallon on the pump at half the actual price, then you paid double the displayed cost. Think it might have been when petrol went over £1 per gallon, and the older pumps couldn't cope with that.

I remember these pumps and with the older ones in a power cut, you could insert a big hander and pump by hand. Useful in the rolling blackouts of the 1970's

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

The independant Petrol Stations may not have, but Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, and Sainburys all reduced their fuel prices by 6p a litre almost immediately after the Chancellor's statement.

Sixteen miles each way to my nearest one of those. The pricing is very clever out in the sticks, so we have to pay higher prices at the pump, as its much cheaper than driving to the supermarkets lol.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sixteen miles each way to my nearest one of those. The pricing is very clever out in the sticks, so we have to pay higher prices at the pump, as its much cheaper than driving to the supermarkets lol.

You chose to live in the sticks 🤣🤣🤣

The pricing here is clever. Those who dont know the area buy from the very expensive stations on the main drag.

Those that do know the area stray 100 yards off the main drag and pay 15ppl less. 

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Those pies sound fantastic! We love Filey so will definitely go there 

Only 52 to choose from.

Will report back tomorrow 😃

• Greenie 1

On 30/03/2022 at 16:37, mrsmelly said:

I am checking heating oil daily at present. Yesterday 500 litres at my local company was £576 and today its precisely fifty quid less!! I spose summer is on its way and supplies are settling?? Still a ridiculous price, but going the right way at present.

In some areas the price of wood has gone way up, although like most folks in my area I'm using gas for heating. If you are on a canal, the best way of getting from A to B will be to fit a simple hinged A frame using 2 moderately cheap standard thick walled alloy scaffolding poles, or the bamboo equivalent, (Expensive in the UK), You might not need a cross beam, unless you intend on adding a loose footed Lanteen pole. Best way to support an A frame is with a pair of low stretch halyard lines for the twin fore and back stays. Then buy some used sails and get busy with a sewing machine. Alas you need about 5 or 6 different sails to cover a variety of wind conditions and relative angles. It might also be possible to get towed along using a parachute, if your bow cleat is strong enough. Stay away from booms, as they have a nasty habit of banging crew on the head. Also try not to go OTT in terms of sail area, otherwise you might finish up sinking your pride an joy in a squall. Probably best to get a surveyor to sign off the job, and inform your insurance company that you now have a motor sailor.

Failing that idea, visit your scrap yard to see if there is a big tumble dryer, then remove the motor and use your 230V invertor, after fitting more sealed car batteries and a bunch of solar panels and wind generator that does not chop your head off. Make sure the 230V AC motor has an earth leakage circuit breaker, and has the same number of phases as the invertor or generator. I would note that DC motors are more efficient and for the typical canal boat a 48V motor with an external prop drive or a shaft drive, (Complex issue due to the type of gearbox and risk of frying the box bearings), 

You might even try and fit a set of bike pedal systems connected by a long belt to the prop shaft, OR to a good used 12V starter motor to help move your boat on a cloudy day, although one thing I would recommend is waiting for a downwind day.

New UK flag.jpg

Edited by TNLI
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TNLI said:

In some areas the price of wood has gone way up, although like most folks in my area I'm using gas for heating. If you are on a canal, the best way of getting from A to B will be to fit a simple hinged A frame using 2 moderately cheap standard thick walled alloy scaffolding poles, or the bamboo equivalent, (Expensive in the UK), You might not need a cross beam, unless you intend on adding a loose footed Lanteen pole. Best way to support an A frame is with a pair of low stretch halyard lines for the twin fore and back stays. Then buy some used sails and get busy with a sewing machine. Alas you need about 5 or 6 different sails to cover a variety of wind conditions and relative angles. It might also be possible to get towed along using a parachute, if your bow cleat is strong enough. Stay away from booms, as they have a nasty habit of banging crew on the head. Also try not to go OTT in terms of sail area, otherwise you might finish up sinking your pride an joy in a squall. Probably best to get a surveyor to sign off the job, and inform your insurance company that you now have a motor sailor.

Failing that idea, visit your scrap yard to see if there is a big tumble dryer, then remove the motor and use your 230V invertor, after fitting more sealed car batteries and a bunch of solar panels and wind generator that does not chop your head off. Make sure the 230V AC motor has an earth leakage circuit breaker, and has the same number of phases as the invertor or generator. I would note that DC motors are more efficient and for the typical canal boat a 48V motor with an external prop drive or a shaft drive, (Complex issue due to the type of gearbox and risk of frying the box bearings), 

You might even try and fit a set of bike pedal systems connected by a long belt to the prop shaft, OR to a good used 12V starter motor to help move your boat on a cloudy day, although one thing I would recommend is waiting for a downwind day.

New UK flag.jpg

Love it

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

Foundry Arms, I remember that as a very rough pub back in the 1970's, fights every nights.   

Things are very different since the Royal Marines took over the Foundry. I'm planning to relocate to the front of my house for phase 2 of the hull up build and BMC 1500D installation soon. If I survive the build and sea trials, I was planning on going back to Trinidad, (Stay well clear and go to Tobago if you visit that area), to carry on doing what I was doing last time, although the exodus from Venezuela has eased up this year. Last year it was over 40,000 people according to the BBC news. No need for a fast boat, as searching for people in the water or towing a small boat to a safer location has to be done fairly slowly. 

If you like attending fight night, the bikers meet down at the Quay these days. The bouncers ask you before you enter the pubs there, if you are carrying any weapons, and if you say no, they lend you a few!

LADY G REPLY:

How can you suggest moving a canal boat up North, it's cold enough down South in winter, and the increased use of diesel for a heater or generator, (The air cooled variety do a fairly good job of heating up a small cabin), will offset the cheaper price of nasty red diesel that most use, although I only use major brand road diesel, as it is cleaner and has far better lubricity and gum prevention additives, and also does not wax up the primary fuel filter until below minus 15C, or minus 23C if it's from a BP or Shell truck stop up in Scotland.

Nah, I think my design for using a classic primus, (Paraffin), alcohol or even very small wood burner, (One pot), on the central rescue/fishing deck area should be good for cooking after the bottled gas runs out due the Thames estuary being mined, (Putin will say the Ukrainians did it), is a good one. For getting from A to B, just wait for a full gale in the right direction and then arrange your crew to hold up the beds sheets with a pair of punting poles between each lock.

Edited by TNLI
Wrong victim!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TNLI said:

How can you suggest moving a canal boat up North, it's cold enough down South in winter, and the increased use of diesel for a heater or generator, (The air cooled variety do a fairly good job of heating up a small cabin), will offset the cheaper price of nasty red diesel that most use, although I only use major brand road diesel, as it is cleaner and has far better lubricity and gum prevention additives, and also does not wax up the primary fuel filter until below minus 15C, or minus 23C if it's from a BP or Shell truck stop up in Scotland.

Nah, I think my design for using a classic primus, (Paraffin), alcohol or even very small wood burner, (One pot), on the central rescue/fishing deck area should be good for cooking after the bottled gas runs out due the Thames estuary being mined, (Putin will say the Ukrainians did it), is a good one. For getting from A to B, just wait for a full gale in the right direction and then arrange your crew to hold up the beds sheets with a pair of punting poles between each lock.

Er... I didn't suggest moving a canal boat up north did I?

I've never been up north on my boat and don't know anything about it. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The pie was amazing. 

Definitely worth the drive. We will be back. They have the set up just right.

FB_IMG_1648963002977.jpg.c25cf09703eeb2abe835c772ae2ef4ca.jpg

That looks amazing could you moor your camper there as per the blurb on the website?

If so we might follow suit

Regarding the price of diesel, I read this morning on the BBC website that the UK gets almost one fifth of it’s diesel from Russia.  I didn’t realise it was such a high proportion and I guess it might be the reason for the recent price hikes (excluding profiteering of course!).