How to reduce the noise of running water from the grey water outlet into the canal?

kellyjllek

Featured Posts

The boat adjacent to me happens to have grey water outlets right next to my bed.  So if they happen to have a shower early while I'm having a lie in, I'll be woken with five minutes of  running water coming out of an outlet and dropping about 1' into the canal.  

I was wondering if there was some kind of ramp or diffuser that would reduce the noise?  If I have music on I barely notice ,  but in the wee hours it's wakes me right up! 

The boaters are great but I have not broached the subject as I'd like to see if there's a solution? Maybe a hose connection that would run it right into the water? Or is there a device that helps with this while not affecting the outlet function? 

Edited by kellyjllek
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Welcome to life on the canals, it’s not always quiet and peaceful especially in Marina’s or City’s. No easy solution without letting your neighbours know as it’s their boat, even if you turn your boat around they will ask why?

Edited by PD1964

21 minutes ago, kellyjllek said:

Can't turn boat around. 

Ask them to turn their boat round? (ETA just noticed already been suggested)

If it's the splash as the water hits the canal surface that wakes you up, get a bit of polystyrene and see if they can tie it to something so the water lands on that instead. It'll then just trickle noiselessly into the canal. I know this - I've got a drainpipe outside my window that splashes and annoys me, and summat similar cured it. And poly banging against the side of their boat wont keep either of you awake.

Any way, you are either going to have to talk to them about it or put up with it. It is a bit of a first world problem...

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

Just thought of a possible mitigating solution.  I bought some fender buoys online that a bit on the large size. If the water hit the buoy and then ran down I think it would significantly reduce the noise. . We're only about 1' apart though the boats move about a bit; to far to actually hit the boat, but I got the new finders because the in the occasional extreme windy conditions  the current tiny ones aren't ' very affective. But the new huge buoy may do the trick.  If it works I can buy them a set. 🤣. I'll test on my outlet this weekend. 

If you can somehow float a jumbo car sponge under the outlet that would reduce the noise but it needs to be floated so it sits at least half above the waterline. Perhaps you could ask your neighbours if you could hang it from string from their boat.

I think it's going to be a case of experimenting with different ideas, trial and error.

• Greenie 1

How long have you moored there and how long has the problem boat moored there? I take it your the new moorer?

Are your boats the same length or is the problem boat a lot longer?

As I see you recently bought a 28’ Springer, so if the problem boat is 58’ and has a normal central bathroom, your basically always going to be near the outlet of the bathroom with your bedroom, especially with boats on close finger pontoons, if their outlet is on your side.

Edited by PD1964

Whatever you do, when you talk to them  make sure they understand that you are asking them to help with solving your problem, and not that you're blaming them for causing it. And it may be that nothing can be done - you do tend to get used to these things in time and your brain just learns to ignore them.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Bouy? Fender...?  What about just hanging a rag in front of the outlet?

^^^This^^^ seems a simple fix to me, if the neighbour will allow it to be attached to their boat. 

If is works, then replace with a better quality and nicer looking standard of rag. 

2 minutes ago, pete.i said:

This is a windup and if it isn't then all I can say is that some people, and there are a significant number, just should not be on the waterways.

So people shouldn't be on the waterways because they're sleep is disturbed by a particular sound and they're wondering whether there's something they can do about it? You think the waterways are somehow sacrosanct and minor issues shouldn't be discussed? Perhaps your apparent annoyance and irritation with the OP of a thread on a internet boat forum is an example of another first world problem, and so in turn my irritation with your post.

This may well be a first world problem as someone said earlier, but I'm sure if we're completely honest we all have them in different forms don't we? Does that mean we shouldn't live in houses, drive cars get on buses, etc, wherever these first world problems happen to occur? What nonsense.

Of course we have first world problems, we live in the first world!

• Greenie 1

I do feel a bit guilty putting the diesel CH on early in the morning (or late at night), if there's a boat moored a few feet away.

The start up noise is quite significant, and could wake a light sleeper.

To be fair, I generally moor at least 20 yards from other boats (100 yards if possible), because I dont like that feeling of opening the stern door and seeing another boat right there.

But sometimes in busy or restricted space moorings its just not possible to allow a decent space, and you have to get up close and personal. 

The last couple of nights I've not been lighting the stove, as its getting too warm inside (which doesnt help with sleep), and so to counteract the morning chill I've been putting the CH on as soon as I wake up- maybe 6am or 7am- and waiting for half an hour before I properly get up.. 

But what can you do when the weather is warming up?

You can't sit in a boat that's at ten degrees, so you have to put the CH on.

I must admit, I feel less guilty about the CH noise if the boat arrived and moored right next to me when they had another 300 yards of decent mooring space available. In that case, I feel they deserve whatever noise they get. 

Edited by Tony1