Friday Wind Warning- Storm Eunice

matty40s

Featured Posts

Although exact track has not yet been predicted as the thing hasnt even formed in the Atlantic yet, Storm Eunice could be the worst wind storm to hit the South of the country for many a year.

Storm Dudley is hitting the North today, with disruption expected widely, Amber warnings issued....the Spring tides and wind direction adding to the wind issues.

Friday however, is a longer lasting and potentially more damaging storm, with 100mph gusts already being forecast for the SW and Severn Estuary. Spring tides will again be a major issue. 

The storm will track over a large area, even inland is expected to see 80 mph gusts with possible blizzards on the back edge as it moves East. There is also the possibility of ab Sting Jet forming...where the jet stream pushes down to the surface causing a tornado like effect.

Tie everything down, move to a safe mooring....not under large trees...and dont aim to move a boat with any success on Friday!!

TreeMonkey will be on overtime.

Screenshot_20220216-112711_Chrome.jpg

• Greenie 2

South Wales has already had some strong winds this week (and that was before the arrival of Dudley)

A collapsed wind turbine at Gilfach Goch, near Bridgend, south Wales

A 300ft wind turbine has been blown over in a south Wales valley as the UK braces for more dangerous stormy weather and high winds later this week.

Residents of the village of Gilfach Goch, near Bridgend, were woken at 6.50am on Monday when the £20m turbine – double the height of Nelson’s Column – snapped apart and crashed into the valley below.

The crumpling of its blades was described as sounding like “thunder and lightning” by some who heard it crash down from the 10-turbine Pant y Wal windfarm.

Lydia Stephens said: “A wind turbine fell over in the windfarm on my village this morning and I thought it was thunder and lighting but how the hell does a wind turbine fall over?

• Horror 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Although exact track has not yet been predicted as the thing hasnt even formed in the Atlantic yet, Storm Eunice could be the worst wind storm to hit the South of the country for many a year.

Storm Dudley is hitting the North today, with disruption expected widely, Amber warnings issued....the Spring tides and wind direction adding to the wind issues.

Friday however, is a longer lasting and potentially more damaging storm, with 100mph gusts already being forecast for the SW and Severn Estuary. Spring tides will again be a major issue. 

The storm will track over a large area, even inland is expected to see 80 mph gusts with possible blizzards on the back edge as it moves East. There is also the possibility of ab Sting Jet forming...where the jet stream pushes down to the surface causing a tornado like effect.

Tie everything down, move to a safe mooring....not under large trees...and dont aim to move a boat with any success on Friday!!

TreeMonkey will be on overtime.

Screenshot_20220216-112711_Chrome.jpg

I was waiting for your update :)

I've been keeping an eye on it, I suspect we may have some damage 

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

Re-wind 30 years and the weather forecast would have just said "wind and rain on Friday, wrap up well".

All this 'storms with names' rubbish, cheeses me right orf. 

I should also have said..

MtB should use some gaffer tape to keep his rustling crisp packet in place

• Greenie 1

Going to the Cliff Hotel in five minutes time for a late light lunch. Its situated cliff top on Cardigan bay. Ill ,let you know if there is any wind coming from the west. At present its flat calm, hoping it stays that way.

Not too bad here up on the hill, rain falling at about 15-20°, gusting now and then and you can hear it blow down the valley.

It’s bad enough that our builders who were repointing the gable end have given it a swerve today. Scaffolding not wobbling, all is well :) 

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or this from 35 years ago... 😉

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".

....and there wasnt.

However, there was a rapidly deepening Low pressure with explosive cyclogenesis and a track similar to what is coming Friday.

15 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Here in eastern West Yorkshire it was much windier at 4am and 10am than it is now. It wasn't raining though.

Windier here now, but less rain, although i can see it driving down the valley and across towards Huddersfield International Airport

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Or this from 35 years ago... 😉

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".

There blooming well was! We were 13 days without mains electricity.

That was the second hurricane I'd experienced, the first being in Sheffield when I was a boy. On that occasion I remember catching the 'bus to go to school and, as we went down Arbourthorne Hill, the whole estate of prefabs looked like piles of playing cards - not packs of cards, they weren't as neat as that.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

24.5 mph winds here on edge of Snowdonia with rain

I'm pleased that there's a decimal point.

I had business in King's Lynn today and spent a couple of hours walking around the town; the wind was about 40 m.p.h. but it was mild and really quite pleasant.

The local forecast suggests that the wind will abate somewhat tomorrow but then come back stronger on Friday.

At least there's no snow or ice on the roads.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

....and there wasnt.

However, there was a rapidly deepening Low pressure with explosive cyclogenesis and a track similar to what is coming Friday.

That was when seven Oaks,became Two oaks iirc. Tis a tad breezy here now, nowt to write home about yet though.

Norwich has taken all double decker buses off the roads this evening.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That was when seven Oaks,became Two oaks iirc. Tis a tad breezy here now, nowt to write home about yet though.

I think you need to strap your roof down with big mooring pins on Friday morning!

Latest met office prediction...

20220216_185214.jpg

Edited by matty40s

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Norwich has taken all double decker buses off the roads this evening.

I think you need to strap your roof down with big mooring pins on Friday morning!

I live on " Wind " street lol. Its named that for a reason on this ere illside lol. If the roof blows off I cant blame the surveyor, as I didnt have one :D

Down in "sunny" Devon we (HM Coastguard) have got a briefing tomorrow morning to cover off what safety patrols we need to put out. Last time we had a really bad one back in 2014 when the railway at Dawlish washed away I can remember being stood in the street at Plymouth Hoe keeping the public away from wave watching, with the storm surge pushing the sea about knee deep up the road, and we were about 20 feet above the normal high water level. The waves were knocking massive limestone wall coping stones away and pushing them along like little pebbles.

However we're driving up to the boat on Friday morning as a stopover on the way to a friend's wedding on Saturday at Northampton, so hopefully we'll be being blown in the right direction.