Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Could do with a few mooring rings.

6 minutes ago, Chagall said:

New places to visit in Rotherham.

rAll.jpeg.6c731c2a308617b233122ae942905836.jpeg

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Could do with a few mooring rings.

It used to be the canal many years ago  which is the reason that it always floods, I suspect that the puddle clay bed will still be there! Remember it's not a toy canal like in the Midlands, it was made so two ten foot draught 16 foot wide boats could pass each other fully loaded! The question you have to ask is would the people making the railway take away the canal bit or would they have filled it with ballast and put tracks on it?

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Anyhow, York is within a foot of the highest from 2012

The highest record at York is from 31st October 2000 at 5.4m, within 5cm of the top of the flood walls (which have now been extended up further).

Current forecast peak between 4.5 and 5m, so some way off.

Edited by jpcdriver
Added current projected peak

19 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

Does that mean the Abbey is flooded? 

The only time I visited that stretch was by bike years ago ... and Tewksbury Abbey appeared as an island off the edge of town.

The Abbey was built there for a reason.

51 minutes ago, jpcdriver said:

The highest record at York is from 31st October 2000 at 5.4m, within 5cm of the top of the flood walls (which have now been extended up further).

I have only been watching the Farsons digital cams since 2012, it went just over the white bar then, and level with the white bar in 2015

1 hour ago, matty40s said:
2 hours ago, jpcdriver said:

I have only been watching the Farsons digital cams since 2012, it went just over the white bar then, and level with the white bar in 2015

2012 was just under 5.1m, so that sign you are using as a measure would have been completely under in 2000!