Winter Mooring - CRT miles per year still needed?

Monnie

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not my interpretation, I am just saying that was what the CRT asked me when I said I considered I no longer had no home mooring status. 

It seemed obvious to me.

When in a marina I had a home mooring.

When I have no marina mooring , I have no home mooring.

I believe you had a long term berth in a marina, either an annual or indefinite length contract? That would absolutely constitute a home mooring as you say.

A CRT winter mooring is a one month long contract, with a maximum of four consecutive periods. Hence it can’t be considered as a home mooring in relation to an annual licence.

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I believe you had a long term berth in a marina, either an annual or indefinite length contract? That would absolutely constitute a home mooring as you say.

A CRT winter mooring is a one month long contract, with a maximum of four consecutive periods. Hence it can’t be considered as a home mooring in relation to an annual licence.

I have no idea of the nitty gritty. All I am saying is that I was asked if I was paying, presuming any payment confirms a contract is in place. I don't think all licences are annual. Is there legislation stating only boats with annual licence can have a home mooring.

What happens if the boat moves to the marina next door and this does not coincide with the licencing period?

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, because you sign up to 'keep' your boat on your home mooring , when you sign up for a 'boat with no home mooring' variation of the licence you sign up to move at least every 14 days (unless signed otherwise). by paying C&RT to turn a blind eye you are contravening the requirements of the 1995 Act. Apparently there is no option to change your declaration from being a 'CCer' to having a 'CRT bank-side winter mooring' as a 'home mooring'.

I do not disagree that it is a great option for some CCers, and I think that is why, after firing a warning shot across C&RTs bows, about the illegality of the scheme the Baton Twirlers quietly backed away so as to allow boaters to use the winter moorings.

The fact it is a benefit and no one wants to 'rock the boat' doesn't affect the legality or otherwise of the offer.

It “satisfies the board”, which is the objective, by being “reasonable under the circumstances “.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yea

which bit didn’t you understand?

I shall try:

I don’t think winter moorings were ever an option for those with a home mooring. 
Why would winter moorings ever be an option for those with a home mooring?

Thanks you. I thought that might be what you meant, but you wrote something else. 

Why should winter moorings NOT be available for home moorers hundreds of miles from their mooring as winter approaches? All the more money for the CRT coffers. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Thanks you. I thought that might be what you meant, but you wrote something else. 

Why should winter moorings NOT be available for home moorers hundreds of miles from their mooring as winter approaches? All the more money for the CRT coffers. 

They probably would be if the situation was explained to CRT, as they appear to be mostly reasonable. It would mean the boater would be paying for two expensive moorings at the same time, but as we are a fairly wealthy bunch, us boat owners with home moorings, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

14 hours ago, MtB said:

I suspect it has something to do with the fact it might aid those using a "ghost mooring" to remain fairly static miles from their claimed home mooring.

CRT permit holders have the ability to use any other vacant CRT long term mooring, which would be preferable to taking a winter mooring as there is no additional cost involved, even if the mooring concerned is more expensive than the berth for which the permit is held.

54 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

CRT permit holders have the ability to use any other vacant CRT long term mooring, which would be preferable to taking a winter mooring as there is no additional cost involved, even if the mooring concerned is more expensive than the berth for which the permit is held.

Really?

That seems a bit unlikely. I'd be highly chuffed off to return to my mooring to find another CRT moorer had spotted it vacant and moored there, knowing they were entitled to use it.

16 hours ago, LadyG said:

I assume that is because CaRT need to get around the planning issues for longer than one month mooring licences. Are you allowed to live on your boat on a winter mooring? If CaRT gave permission to live aboard from more than one month they would be in trouble with the planning authorities.

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Really?

That seems a bit unlikely. I'd be highly chuffed off to return to my mooring to find another CRT moorer had spotted it vacant and moored there, knowing they were entitled to use it.

I think that is vacant as in not let to anyone rather than vacant because you've gone on holiday boating.

15 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

When you pass a vacant mooring can you tell whether it's not been let or if the lessee has gone off for a cruise?

You contact CRT in advance to check.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I think that is vacant as in not let to anyone rather than vacant because you've gone on holiday boating.

When I got stuck outside Leicester in the floods a few years ago I just dived into the side and tied up. I asked another moorer if it was ok, he said yes and there I stayed. If the owner had come back I'd have moved to another one. I never thought of contacting CRT.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Really?

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

59 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

When you pass a vacant mooring can you tell whether it's not been let or if the lessee has gone off for a cruise?

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You contact CRT in advance to check.

Vacant as in unleased. Essentially anything available to purchase on the Waterside Moorings website on a first come first served basis.

I used the facility to leave my boat at Brentford for most of last September on a mooring that had a rental cost about five times higher than the one for which I had a permit.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Really?

Indeed, that is how I justify having to pay CRT for my end of garden mooring. I pay to have exclusive use of that bit of water 

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

I assume that is because CaRT need to get around the planning issues for longer than one month mooring licences. Are you allowed to live on your boat on a winter mooring? If CaRT gave permission to live aboard from more than one month they would be in trouble with the planning authorities.

Those were my words not @LadyG's. Not sure what you've done there.

Winter moorings are sold by the month and are now available for four months of the year (November to February) but as far as I know you can liveaboard for all of that period so if there are potential planning issues they haven't yet arisen. I don't think it's a ruse to get round planning, just a reflection that not everyone will want to buy all four months. 

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are lots of things you can do for a limited number of days per year without planning consent, tent and caravan site, clay pigeon shooting are two that I know of

You can trade for 28 days on your towpath winter mooring. I think either 28 days consecutively or 28 days spread over the winter months. 
Provided you have a traders license. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are lots of things you can do for a limited number of days per year without planning consent, tent and caravan site, clay pigeon shooting are two that I know of

I was wrong, tents not caravans, that is why they only had tents at Caister on Sea and no caravans, no planning permission.

I was wrong, tents not caravans, that is why they only had tents at Caister on Sea and no caravans, no planning permission.

PP enforcement must be a bit of a problem though, for councils attempting to stop caravans being parked for a week or two, or boats, when the caravan (or boat) keeps changing and is often or even sometimes not there.

Has that changed recently?  I had a friend with a small caravan site and he could use his other fields for caravans for 28 days a year.  This was mainly caravan club rallies and similar.

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

PP enforcement must be a bit of a problem though, for councils attempting to stop caravans being parked for a week or two, or boats, when the caravan (or boat) keeps changing and is often or even sometimes not there.

You can have a 'certified' caravan / camp site without any planning permission for the use of caravan club members, as lomg as you are not erecting buildings or doing engineering works.

(Certificated Sites are permitted to accommodate up to 5 caravans or motorhomes, and 10 tents for a maximum of 28 consecutive days at any one time).

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Has that changed recently?  I had a friend with a small caravan site and he could use his other fields for caravans for 28 days a year.  This was mainly caravan club rallies and similar.

I am going back a long time. Every summer the field on the edge of the main road between Gt Yarmouth and Caister on Sea became a tent site for the summer, but no caravans.