Winter Mooring - CRT miles per year still needed?

Monnie

Featured Posts

On 09/07/2022 at 16:42, Goliath said:

I took a winter mooring at Tod the other year. 
One of the few that paid to 😃

I made sure I had prime site besides (not on) the services.

I do think it’s a racket mind.  
These towpath winter moorings. 
But maybe one that suits both parties. 

It may suits both parties but not a third party who would wish to exercise the right to moor for 14 days in one of the expanding restricted winter mooring locations. Many of which seem to be unofficially expanding into spring and summer moorings or into linear rubbish dumps.

13 minutes ago, oboat said:

It may suits both parties but not a third party who would wish to exercise the right to moor for 14 days in one of the expanding restricted winter mooring locations. Many of which seem to be unofficially expanding into spring and summer moorings or into linear rubbish dumps.

Totally agree. It really grates with me the way the best and prime VMs around here get allocated to winter moorings thus denying them to genuine CCers when they need them the most. 

• Greenie 1

On 28/01/2022 at 16:18, booke23 said:

I remember Chas Hardern telling me about a trip he did on his camping boat in the summer of 1976 from his base at Beeston Wharf to Limehouse basin and back. He returned via the tidal Thames (He showed me a pic of him at tower bridge on the boat).

He did the trip in THREE weeks! Including a 12 mile side trip up the K & A .......according to canal plan that's nearly 450 miles. He said they cruised from first light until dusk, so cruised at least 16hrs per day and he had crew to pass him sandwiches and drinks!

He was fortunate to be able to cruise from dawn to dusk  in 1976.

My recollection is that 1976 was a year of water shortages and restricted lock opening hours on many canals, including the ones we were using that Easter. A group of us, mostly first-timers, hired two boats from a base at Cosgrove, with the idea of a carefree, unhurried,  wander up the canal, with lunchtime pub stops. 

On arrival, we were told that the locks on the GU main line were only open between 10AM and 4 PM,  but not that the 4PM time was the time by which you had to exit the last lock of a flight. After a pleasant pub lunch, we rolled up at the bottom lock of the Whilton flight at 3.30 PM, only to find the last entry was 3.00PM, and that we were stuck there (albeit at the front of the queue), sandwiched between the M1 motorway and the London to Birmingham main line railway, until 10.00 the next morning, with the nearest pub at the other end of the flight.

So rather than a carefree wander, we had to plan our route for the rest of the week with military precision to ensure we were in a lock-free pound by lock closing time each day, and be in the same  pound as the boatyard  by lock closing time on the last full day. We decided that the Fenny Compton pound on the Southern Oxford was the best bet  for our mid-week turn around. As this was reached via the Napton flight, which was only open between noon and 2PM, the opportunities for subsequent  lunchtime pub visits were somewhat limited.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Totally agree. It really grates with me the way the best and prime VMs around here get allocated to winter moorings thus denying them to genuine CCers when they need them the most. 

But I thought you also wanted them handed out to boats with a home mooring ?

🤷‍♀️

10 hours ago, oboat said:

I usually see winter moorings unused and often in undesirable places. 

Can’t speak for down south though,

I tend to steer clear of it. 

• Greenie 1