Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you didn't understand why that video was posted in the thread context you need medical help ...

I thought it was the comment on the bottom

"Do you have a place where you shop online for cleaning? I can take your pressure washer suggestions. Greetings everyone."

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was the comment on the bottom

"Do you have a place where you shop online for cleaning? I can take your pressure washer suggestions. Greetings everyone."

No Brian, new members from California usually jump in promoting cleaning equipment.

Martin is just being unfair to Kärcher salesdroids ... ;)

On 28/08/2021 at 09:14, MtB said:

The thing is, their youtube videos are not made for people like you. I suspect they are watched mainly by people who are either total newbie boaters or those who have yet to buy one (if ever). Their popularity illustrates how big a groundswell of interest exists in canals and boating in the general public, IMO. 

Another obvious contender for "most famous boat on the cut" would CRESSY, Tom Rolt's boat. 

Is CRESSY still extant?

I've found some of their stuff useful, as somebody who is looking to move onto the water. Such as their budgeting video which made me consider all the various costs to put money aside for. I think you're right about it being aimed at newbie and non boaters though.

33 minutes ago, Malcolm46 said:

I have never heard so much sour grapes as this load of rubbish, it's one wine after another. Get a life people, grow up and try to be nice and not , words fail me.

You've been a forum member for over two years, and this is the first thing you have found to post about? Words fail me.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Malcolm46 said:

I have never heard so much sour grapes as this load of rubbish, it's one wine after another. Get a life people, grow up and try to be nice and not , words fail me.

The whining stems from a mix of jealousy/ inferiority. You'll find a fair bit of it in this forum.  Expect a few of them to jump on you next. It makes them feel better about themselves for a few minutes

Edited by Jellybelly

6 minutes ago, Jellybelly said:

The whining stems from a mix of jealousy/ inferiority. You'll find a fair bit of it in this forum.  Expect a few of them to jump on you next. It makes them feel better about themselves for a few minutes

However some would say making your first ever post on here one in which you heavily chriticise other members posts means you are highly likely to get 'jumped on'.

Its just inviting such a response, so only fair to expect it.

52 minutes ago, Malcolm46 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder what you would have said if words hadn't failed you.

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

However some would say making your first ever post on here one in which you heavily chriticise other members posts means you are highly likely to get 'jumped on'.

Its just inviting such a response, so only fair to expect it.

I didn't read their post as criticising anyone poster in particular, just the general negativity of the thread. 

3 minutes ago, Jellybelly said:

I didn't read their post as criticising anyone poster in particular, just the general negativity of the thread. 

I didnt say any one post or poster in particular did I ?

I said 'other members posts', in the context of those posts cumulatively.

I was pointing out that your suggestion they would get 'jumped on' was entirely to be expected when you seemed to be suggesting it would somehow be unfair simply because it was a first post.

Some new members do indeed get unjustly chriticised on here and often it is unfair, however in this particular case I think it would be a case of 'you reap what you sow'.

On 30/08/2021 at 18:24, booke23 said:

Yes it is confusing. As I understand it Bickerstaffe have sourced their shells from a number of different builders over the years. Perhaps it's just the lowest bidder for any given year that gets the work. 

I would think availabity comes in to it, in a buoyant market shell builders will keep production rolling, and sell when a buyer pays a deposit, buyers will be looking around for shells which are likely to sell at a profit at a time when buyers are in the market.

I think the lads have done well with their channel, its lively, varied topics, and they've outlasted some other good channels. 

I quite like the boat, inside and out, though I don't think they'll get the asking price, they may do, who knows. 

A new paint job would start at £4k, a good paint job, well, £8-18k!

Edited by LadyG

...I have come to this thread a little late, but was intrigued by the title as I had never heard or seen "the most famous boat on the canal", and wondered what it was all about.

I then tried watching some of their vids, but to be honest they just didn't appeal to me, but at the same time as looking I came across the "country house gent" vids on Prime and I find these a far superior watch!...just seems more "real" somehow. Such a shame he had such a bad experience at one point. (Still got a couple of seasons to watch....).

As for the price of "the most famous boat on the canal, totally OTT, but I guess all boat prices are at the mo. We have just started the process of selling our boat and the brokerage have advised a selling price of around 75% more than we would have normally expected. We wanted to go campervaning and the prices of those is equally silly...