Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some people on here consistently miss the point about some of the video bloggers on you tube, particularly the Foxes.

They are the equivalent of a tv light entertainment programme. They are not meant to be highly technical instructional videos, they would turn their target audience off in minutes if they were.

But some people take them as the equivalent of documentaries and are fact/instructional  

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But some people take them as the equivalent of documentaries and are fact/instructional  

I'd put them in the light entertainment with a bit of history thrown in section. Colin does a lot of research in the vlogs about where they are and is able to present it in an engaging way... sometimes quite camp but thats his way!

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes, sadly some people are just plain stupid.

A bit like people who dont grasp that a 'reality TV' show isn't actually 'real life' being documented.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes, sadly some people are just plain stupid.

No they are not stupid, the just don't know.   During lockdown I followed a video series on making sour dough bread.  I expect a baker would think it light entertainment. lots of experts say he does it wrong.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No they are not stupid, the just don't know.   During lockdown I followed a video series on making sour dough bread.  I expect a baker would think it light entertainment. lots of experts say he does it wrong.

Sorry but some people are actually stupid. Very stupid sometimes.

Eg some believe 'the only way is Essex' is actually a documentary.

If you think that there are not gullible stupid people in the world I have no words.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

But how was your bread?

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Faced with the choice of the likes of here or the wealth of stuff elswhere it is not surprising the Instagram generation look to what they are familiar with which generally isnt something akin to a group of boring old toothless gits drinking in a smoke filled bar which neither serves food nor allows kids in.

That sounds like my kind of bar! And the sort I will mainly be found drinking in rather than one filled with wannabes who have little idea of real life. 

• Greenie 1

A lot

Strewth.

Just now, frangar said:

That sounds like my kind of bar!

Yes, 'strangely' you sprang immediately to mind when I typed that.

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you think that there are not gullible stupid people in the world I have no words.

Have you been to Essex recently?

It's TRUE to life.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I only hope the new owners don’t fall into any of the above and think life on the canals is all Rosie and Jim and have been watching the Foxes Vlogs through Rose Tinted glasses as they may be a bit disappointed with their new purchase and life on the Canals as continuous cruisers. 

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's TRUE to life.

If im being honest no not really.

(Essex is somewhere to drive through to get to France)

Just now, PD1964 said:

I only hope the new owners don’t fall into any of the above and think life on the canals is all Rosie and Jim and have been watching the Foxes Vlogs through Rose Tinted glasses as they may be a bit disappointed with their new purchase and life on the Canals as continuous cruisers. 

Thats up to them though isnt it?

Lots of people appear to fall into the same trap without being influenced by you tube videos.

Their money, their life, their choice.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's TRUE to life.

As someone who was born & grew up in Essex…in the town where TOWIE is filmed I can only say I’m very glad I left as soon as I could and moved north….if only I could persuade my mother to see sense now! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

A1(M) / M11 / M25 / M20 seems a reasonable route from the North East to Dover.

Correct. We stop short at Folkestone of course (for the tunnel) but that is the way we have done it for the last two decades, give or take.

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Their use of social media has probably left some curmudgeonly old farts behind. Forums like this are competing for an audience and I doubt it is winning. The Norfolk Broads forum seems to have virtually died, replaced by various Facebook groups, loads of boating channels now exist on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Tik Tok seems to be in an ascendancy too.

Faced with the choice of the likes of here or the wealth of stuff elswhere it is not surprising the Instagram generation look to what they are familiar with which generally isnt something akin to a group of boring old toothless gits drinking in a smoke filled bar which neither serves food nor allows kids in.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. 

4 hours ago, frangar said:

As someone who was born & grew up in Essex…in the town where TOWIE is filmed I can only say I’m very glad I left as soon as I could and moved north….if only I could persuade my mother to see sense now! 

Just looked it up - Brentwood, I don't blame you. I was born and brought up in Shoeburyness and left when I was 19. Only made it as far as Kent mind but definitely better.

I must admit I told people I came from Kent for a long time after suffering so many white stiletto, dancing round handbag, Essex girl jokes. Then it settled down for a while. Then came TOWIE. Sigh.

Edited by Ange

16 hours ago, haggis said:

I don't watch them though I did tune in to one of their episodes as it was in an area I was interested in. I am no prude but I found it a bit smutty and for no apparent reason other than being crude. I switched off and haven't bothered looking at any of their stuff since. 

Like you, I find that their presentation style is not to my own personal taste. Its not crudity that puts me off, but rather the forced feeling of the humour that they try to inject every few minutes. 

To be fair to him, the main presenter has found a consistent and clear style to deliver his thoughts and feelings, and there is also some interesting historical background about some of the locations- and in general he is pretty good at it.

But when he attempts puns or banter it just doesn't work, at least for me.   

But of course, humour is a very personal thing- and to be fair to them, there are clearly lots of folks who enjoy their vlogs. 

I say good luck to them for finding an audience.

I think a financial model has developed for many youtubers (not just boaty ones) whereby the free videos are a sort of 'loss leader' product; and what makes more money for them is when they set up a patreon account, gather together a sort of community, and they have people stepping forward to make financial contributions.

And I'm not knocking the people who do that - they put in a lot of work to create their videos, and if people are willing to support them, then who are we to criticise that model?

Edited by Tony1