Anyone want to buy the most famous boat on the canals

luggsy

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Tempted to sell up and buy a boat that you can actually live the dream and sail the world, unlike the people that want to live the lives of their Vloggers on the Canal. 

If you are able, and have the resources, the earlier you do this the better, as you will never be as fit as you are now. We have a neighbour who is planning on buying a 50ft production sloop next year and then spending eighteen months minimum sailing it back from the Med to NZ with his wife and two daughters in their early teens.

And for you, you can at the end of that adventure, buy another canal boat for a further, but much less demanding phase of "floating around"

9 hours ago, DandV said:

For those of you who own standard type crusing narrow boats, the Foxes, and other canal vloggers, and before them Tim and Prue, on mainstream TV, have added thousands to the resale price of your boat.

For those wanting to get into narrow boat cruising the canals, thanks to them all,  you will have to find more money for your intending  purchase. 

It must be the only boat market in the world distorted by vloggers. 

Depreciation? What depreciation? Welcome to a bizarre subset of recreational boating.

I think it is a little unfair to blame vloggers for the rise in boat prices.

Prices of boats (and cars, houses, motorhomes, camper vans, etc) have risen due to a rise in demand coupled with a supply shortage.

With inflation due to hit 4% before too long we will just have to get used to higher prices for anything that we want to buy, be that food, energy, a home, a boat, a holiday. Anything and everything is rising in price.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Ange said:

Cellar temperature, drank from a half pint glass constantly topped up. Spot the rookie behind the bar who grabs a pint glass and pours it all out before I can stop them! I've learnt to ask for "a bottle of Newkie with a half pint glass please" to avoid this travesty.

That rookie could actually be a Geordie offended by someone ordering a “Newkie”.

You don’t still drink the stuff do you? The modern version is appalling.

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That rookie could actually be a Geordie offended by someone ordering a “Newkie”.

You don’t still drink the stuff do you? The modern version is appalling.

In my youth it was a “bottle of dog” and nobody bothered with glasses for it, the biker pub i frequented back then just kept it in a plastic dustbin full of ice on a weekend and went through stacks of the stuff. Tried some about ten or so years ago and it was awful, assumed my tastes had changed over the years, did they alter the recipe then??

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

In my youth it was a “bottle of dog” and nobody bothered with glasses for it, the biker pub i frequented back then just kept it in a plastic dustbin full of ice on a weekend and went through stacks of the stuff. Tried some about ten or so years ago and it was awful, assumed my tastes had changed over the years, did they alter the recipe then??

The recipe changed in around 2014/15, something to do with the colouring I think. Other changes may have been made too.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The recipe changed in around 2014/15, something to do with the colouring I think. Other changes may have been made too.

I think the brewery changed. Isn’t it now brewed in Tadcaster?

I think it had moved from Newcastle to Gateshead many years ago.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think the brewery changed. Isn’t it now brewed in Tadcaster?

I think it had moved from Newcastle to Gateshead many years ago.

Yes, and I think there was a bit of an 'outcry' at the time due it being moved from the North East.

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Curiously I went in the other direction. Used to hate the stuff then tried it again at (I think) Matty's wedding and found it quite tolerable. I assumed my palate had matured! 

21 minutes ago, MtB said:

Curiously I went in the other direction. Used to hate the stuff then tried it again at (I think) Matty's wedding and found it quite tolerable. I assumed my palate had matured! 

Perhaps the amount i drank of it in my teens put me off it, those days before you learn your limits and frequently call that Ralph fella on the great white telephone. I have the same problem with Ouzo or Pernod 🤢

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Perhaps the amount i drank of it in my teens put me off it, those days before you learn your limits and frequently call that Ralph fella on the great white telephone. I have the same problem with Ouzo or Pernod 🤢

Pernod and Martini for me. Martini from the only thing we found at a party in early teens, and pernod as it used to go into the top of a bottle of dog with shot of blackcurrant (polytechnic thing).🤢🤮

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Pernod and Martini for me. Martini from the only thing we found at a party in early teens, and pernod as it used to go into the top of a bottle of dog with shot of blackcurrant (polytechnic thing).🤢🤮

Hmmm for us it was a cocktail which we might have invented ourselves, called "Snake in the Grass". It was Pernod, Creme de Menthe and vodka, topped up with lemonade.

@Cereal Tiller of this parish will remember, but not seen him post here for several years. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Hmmm for us it was a cocktail which we might have invented ourselves, called "Snake in the Grass". It was Pernod, Creme de Menthe and vodka, topped up with lemonade.

@Cereal Tiller of this parish will remember, but not seen him post here for several years. 

He's Ok, had enough of the jerks.

On 29/10/2021 at 11:48, tree monkey said:

It used to give me the most unpleasant hangovers in the days when I was almost immune to hangovers, full on screaming being sick hangovers, shame because I liked it as a brew

I only drank it once, back in 1975 at the old BT training college at Stone.

Woke up the next day feeling absolutely awful. Worst hangover that I have ever had. The hangover lasted all day and was only cured when I went back to the bar that evening and drank a few pints of bitter...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Woke up the next day feeling absolutely awful. Worst hangover that I have ever had. The hangover lasted all day and was only cured when I went back to the bar that evening and drank a few pints of bitter...

Didn't go to "The labour in vain" did you?

Or was it the Wayfarer for a "Grab a granny" night."

:D

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Didn't go to "The labour in vain" did you?

Or was it the Wayfarer for a "Grab a granny" night."

:D

Went to both, many times over the years. 

Bet they have changed the sign for the "Labour in Vain".

45 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Went to both, many times over the years. 

Bet they have changed the sign for the "Labour in Vain".

The last time I saw that sign it had been taken down and was languishing unloved around the back of the pub.

Staffordshire's Labour In Vain pub in racism row over historic sign | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Just come to the thread.

IMHO a very boring boat the fitout of which reminds me of a cheap hotel room.  Not at all the sort of thing that floats my boat.

N

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

My Dad would have sympathised with you, being a regular Stone trainee about that time. Would it have been BT or GPO then? Sadly he died on Monday so I can’t ask him.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Marbling said:

My Dad would have sympathised with you, being a regular Stone trainee about that time. Would it have been BT or GPO then? Sadly he died on Monday so I can’t ask him.

Actually it was Post Office Telephones in 1975.

The GPO ceased to exist in 1969 and BT came into being in 1984.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

44 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Actually it was Post Office Telephones in 1975.

The GPO ceased to exist in 1969 and BT came into being in 1984.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Thanks cuthound - you never know, that info might make it into his eulogy. So the Buzby T-shirts date to 1984 then, which would also help date some holiday photos! Make someone happy with a phone call, you've got to have an 'ology and all that…

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Marbling said:

Thanks cuthound - you never know, that info might make it into his eulogy. So the Buzby T-shirts date to 1984 then, which would also help date some holiday photos! Make someone happy with a phone call, you've got to have an 'ology and all that…