More volockie hassle

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Yes, this is my strategy too -- always happy to have them setting ahead.

But sometimes, like at Watford a few weeks ago when there were two volockies and we were the only boat (and there they really are in charge because you have to book in with them -- and they actually do seem to know what they're doing) I found that after the first couple of locks where I didn't get the wind a paddle at all, I had to position myself strategically near the staircase paddles before they could get there!  Eventually one of them went to get a coffee.

Last time I came through Watford the volockie "in charge" told me he wasn't there to wind paddles but that was all he had done all day so he wasn't very happy.

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

The worst one I had was explaining to someone that narrow boats are 6ft wide and therefore you can get three beside each other in a lock 19ft wide. 

I imagine he found out quite soon this was wrong !

Hopefully not in a lock that was 21 feet wide at the top and 19 feet wide at the bottom!

20 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Last time I came through Watford the volockie "in charge" told me he wasn't there to wind paddles but that was all he had done all day so he wasn't very happy.

So what *was* he there for? Was he a bit of exceptionally good-looking eye candy to make photos look good? 😉

Just now, IanD said:

So what *was* he there for? Was he a bit of exceptionally good-looking eye candy to make photos look good? 😉

Presumably he's there to operate the three up three down (or whatever it is these days) policy through the staircase, and to ensure there aren't too many boats hanging about in the intermediate pounds.

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Presumably he's there to operate the three up three down (or whatever it is these days) policy through the staircase, and to ensure there aren't too many boats hanging about in the intermediate pounds.

Three up three down would have been nice, when I suggested after six boats up perhaps I could come down he let another two up to try and wind me up.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

No, I gave my windlass to an experienced CRT bod, he is an employee of an large organisation. 

As you pointed out with new boaters doing locks, new CRT bods have no experience on their first day in the job.

This unknown CRT bod's behaviour suggests he is not experienced, and I think you allowed yourself to be misled into thinking he was by the CRT clothes he was wearing.

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

As you pointed out with new boaters doing locks, new CRT bods have no experience on their first day in the job.

This unknown CRT bod's behaviour suggests he is not experienced, and I think you allowed yourself to be misled into thinking he was by the CRT clothes he was wearing.

He is experienced,  he is someone I met some time previously, not just a few weeks ago, I mean it might have been a year ago. He is not masquerading as a CRT employee, he should have a contract and be aware of his duties. The CRT should be aware of his activities, after all I am sure I am not the first person to be approached by him.

By the way, I can't believe all these people on here who think I should do everything myself never use a crew or any CRT lockeeper. Do they just refuse to use locks which have lockeepers or do they tell them they will work the lock themselves?

Any employer has to train their staff, no one is sent out to work a lock without training and supervision. The clothing is protective not to make them look official.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

You need to ask the guy his name as CRT are unable to identify, from my description, a CRT bod in charge of a group of painting vollies at lock #, at 15.00, on the C &H.

As you seem to have avoided answering my question on the other thread I ask again was this # lock 'Battyford Lock'?

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He is experienced,  he is someone I met some time previously, not just a few weeks ago, I mean it might have been a year ago. He is not masquerading as a CRT employee, he should have a contract and be aware of his duties. The CRT should be aware of his activities, after all I am sure I am not the first person to be approached by him.

By the way, I can't believe all these people on here who think I should do everything myself never use a crew or any CRT lockeeper. Do they just refuse to use locks which have lockeepers or do they tell them they will work the lock themselves?

Any employer has to train their staff, no one is sent out to work a lock without training and supervision. The clothing is protective not to make them look official.

But he may have been trained, just not as a lock operative. Do you assume everyone working for the NHS is a surgeon. 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm one of "these people". I single hand and yes locks staffed by vollies are difficult. The first thing I do to combat it is get off the boat, if possible. Difficult when going uphill as several vollies working as a pack overwhelm me. I'm no sooner in the lock than all the gates are shut and top paddles wide open before I'e even brought the boat to a halt. Let alone climbed the lock ladder. 

Downhill is much easier. Just step off the boat in full lock. Once you're on the bank with a centre line you don't feel so out of control of things when they go off opening paddles, even without asking. In fact I think this is the key to not being overwhelmed by numbers of vollies. Just get off the boat. And don't give them a windlass, smile and say "I like working the paddles myself, but thank you for offering".

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

As you seem to have avoided answering my question on the other thread I ask again was this # lock 'Battyford Lock'?

I don't know why it is relevant, that lock has a notice with white painted posts, the beams were newly black and white. They had been painting a few locks over the previous few days, I know this because I asked them, as I did not want my boat or my ropes contaminated. Battyford was one of the locks I went through, but I did other locks too.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Downhill is much easier. Just step off the boat in full lock. Once you're on the bank with a centre line you don't feel so out of control of things when they go off opening paddles, even without asking. In fact I think this is the key to not being overwhelmed by numbers of vollies. Just get off the boat. And don't give them a windlass, smile and say "I like working the paddles myself, but thank you for offering".

But you don't need to give them a windlass if they are official Volockies as they have their own, I have never yet met one who didn't

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

But you don't need to give them a windlass if they are official Volockies as they have their own, I have never yet met one who didn't

I know.

I was offering advice to LadyG about how to tell this same bod to "fcuk off", but nicely, next time he demands she hand over her windlass.

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

I know.

I was offering advice to LadyG about how to tell this same bod to "fcuk off", but nicely, next time he demands she hand over her windlass.

How sure are you this 'bod' demanded she hand over her windlass. "He asks if you want assistance (I'm singlehanded) takes your windlass........."
If LadyG would kindly confirm where this happened I may be able to add some perpective to the story

Edited by Midnight

53 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm one of "these people". I single hand and yes locks staffed by vollies are difficult. The first thing I do to combat it is get off the boat, if possible. Difficult when going uphill as several vollies working as a pack overwhelm me. I'm no sooner in the lock than all the gates are shut and top paddles wide open before I'e even brought the boat to a halt. Let alone climbed the lock ladder. 

You are relatively young and fit, male with a lifetime experience of narrowboating, desperate to add yet another navigation, another dozen locks, another challenge.  You enjoy fixing boats that break down, cookers that blow up, testing batteries that need testing, stoves that need welding.

I prefer to potter along, enjoying a leisurely retirement.

I can do without running up and down ladders, crossing walkways, getting clothes filthy, clocking up miles per day, I'm here to relax and spend  my time enjoying the boating.

Edited by LadyG

8 hours ago, MtB said:

I know.

I'm quite sure he won't offer. 

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

You need to ask the guy his name as CRT are unable to identify, from my description, a CRT bod in charge of a group of painting vollies at lock #, at 15.00, on the C &H.

They don't want to know, as I pointed out, it's not about one person it's about the training they get, and the ease with which they hand MY windlass over to some nonentity. THEN tell the nonentity to turn the windlass. No reference to me, no mention of boat, just showing some nonentity that winding a windlass will raise a bit of metal. Al done with no reference to me and with back to the lock. The same bod is a repeat offender. If he comes near me again I will ask to to see his qualification and insurance certificate.

Once you've handed over responsibility for the lock twiddling, your control has gone. As we've said elsewhere, it seem th e original person isn't a vlockie anyway, just a volunteer painting a lock - ie an ordinary bloke, with no CRT training in locks, trying to be helpful, and getting, in your opinion, things wrong. It's the risk you take by choosing not to do it all yourself. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, but it's a bit unfair to complain that a total stranger with no training doesn't do stuff the same way you would. And you simply can't, these days, assume that everyone in a CRT jacket is either an employee or fully trained, unless they tell you they are.

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

They don't want to know, as I pointed out, it's not about one person it's about the training they get, and the ease with which they hand MY windlass over to some nonentity. THEN tell the nonentity to turn the windlass. No reference to me, no mention of boat, just showing some nonentity that winding a windlass will raise a bit of metal. Al done with no reference to me and with back to the lock. The same bod is a repeat offender. If he comes near me again I will ask to to see his qualification and insurance certificate.

Once you've handed over responsibility for the lock twiddling, your control has gone. As we've said elsewhere, it seem th e original person isn't a vlockie anyway, just a volunteer painting a lock - ie an ordinary bloke, with no CRT training in locks, trying to be helpful, and getting, in your opinion, things wrong. It's the risk you take by choosing not to do it all yourself. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, but it's a bit unfair to complain that a total stranger with no training doesn't do stuff the same way you would. And you simply can't, these days, assume that everyone in a CRT jacket is either an employee or fully trained, unless they tell you they are.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My complaint, had you read my post is that he handed the windlass to someone who I had not agreed to operate the lock. I do ask people if they know what they are doing, obviously people with well worn CRT kit who have been working for the CRT long term are more likely to be competent than someone who is masquerading in their own kit which resembles CRT staff uniform, I have met such a person and his help was refused.

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Once you've handed over responsibility for the lock twiddling, your control has gone. As we've said elsewhere, it seem th e original person isn't a vlockie anyway, just a volunteer painting a lock - ie an ordinary bloke, with no CRT training in locks, trying to be helpful, and getting, in your opinion, things wrong. It's the risk you take by choosing not to do it all yourself. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, but it's abit unfair to complain that a total stranger with no training doesn't do stuff the same way you would. And you simply can't, these days, assume that everyone in a CRT jacket is either an employee or fully trained, unless they tell you they are.

Once you've handed over responsibility for the lock twiddling, your control has gone. As we've said elsewhere, it seem th e original person isn't a vlockie anyway, just a volunteer painting a lock - ie an ordinary bloke, with no CRT training in locks, trying to be helpful, and getting, in your opinion, things wrong. It's the risk you take by choosing not to do it all yourself. Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, but it's a bit unfair to complain that a total stranger with no trining doesn't do stuff the same way you would. And you simply can't, these days, assume that everyone in a CRT jacket is either an employee or fully trained, unless they tell you they are.

If they tell me they have been doing the job for years do I then demand their c.v. and their contract of employment, does it make it better or worse if they claim to be a boater,  should I ask then ask how many years, how many navigations?

He's not a total stranger

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My complaint, had you read my post is that he handed the windlass to someone who I had not agreed to operate the lock. I do ask people if they know what they are doing, obviously people with well worn CRT kit who have been working for the CRT long term are more likely to be competent than someone who is masquerading in their own kit which resembles CRT staff uniform, I have met such a person and his help was refused.

If they tell me they have been doing the job for years do I then demand their c.v. and their contract of employment, does it make it better or worse if they claim to be a boater,  should I ask then ask how many years, how many navigations?

He's not a total stranger

Please can we keep all responses to this so-called incident on the C&H thread as it's less confusing and much more relevant. 

26 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Please can we keep all responses to this so-called incident on the C&H thread as it's less confusing and much more relevant. 

Sure. I hadn't even noticed the thread switch, so slick was it! 

16 hours ago, adam1uk said:

If there's a problem with a particular person, you can complain about them -- and I know from experience that complaints are taken seriously, are investigated, and action is taken.

My experiences suggest otherwise.

When the volokie closed the big hyraulic gates (on the River Trent) on us it was only by giving full power on both engines that we got in and past the gates before we would be crushed (GRP boat)

Wrote a formal complaint and received a 'thankyou' letter saying I'd be informed etc etc - nothing ever heard again.

I'd never trust a volokie again.