Poo'tastic?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

On 10/02/2021 at 16:24, tree monkey said:

I sort of agree with you about occasional and isolated disposal under a hedge, at least on an overall impact issue but if it becomes "the done thing" it would be unpleasant and a health hazard

My cat produces considerably less than any adult, or child, also his special feed  (Royal Canin Sensitive) produces a dry product with less odour and less volume. 

I can just imagine what the locals would do if I started hiding anything under the hedges, crikey, they already complain about mud on the towpath. ! 

Edited by LadyG

13 hours ago, Chagall said:

Government advice suggests it is acceptable to put human waste into bins...but it seems Biffa and now Crt dont agree.

13 hours ago, Chagall said:

If you’ve produced less, you can dispose of your municipal offensive waste in your mixed municipal waste (‘black bag’)

erm not sure you have the wording right. Government advice SAYS it is acceptable - not suggests.

You either can or you cant. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

erm not sure you have the wording right. Government advice SAYS it is acceptable - not suggests.

Yes I agree that it says so, but it does all seem a bit suggestive in regard to human faeces, only suggesting nappy contents and sanitary towels et cetera in the list. 

To forestall an obvious reply, yes babies are indeed human. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Yes I agree that it says so, but it does all seem a bit suggestive in regard to human faeces, only suggesting nappy contents and sanitary towels et cetera in the list. 

Whatever the law says, I presume that Biffa who empty the bins and C&RT who pay for the bins to be emptied can say what is allowed and what isn't. 

Haggis

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

Whatever the law says, I presume that Biffa who empty the bins and C&RT who pay for the bins to be emptied can say what is allowed and what isn't. 

Haggis

Quite, and to be honest I think its reasonable that if more and more boaters are being converted by the zeal of 'Composters United Together' then it needs to be dealt with properly when and if it becomes rather more than the contents of a few nappies.  

Edited by Chagall
...added another word, I couldn't resist...sorry!
  • Greenie 3

39 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Quite, and to be honest I think its reasonable that if more and more boaters are being converted by the zeal of 'Composters United Together' then it needs to be dealt with properly when and if it becomes rather more than the contents of a few nappies.  

Like I said on the other thread, this needs a bit more joined up thinking by the CRT and not just a knee jerk complete U turn by an individual. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Non-government organisations can reasonably impose their own restrictions, provided that they comply with the legal ones. Nothing inherently wrong with Biffa refusing to take something that they could have chosen so to do. That is a commercial decision, especially if it affects their operating costs.

42 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I don't have any problem with that, it's just the complete blindside that was thrown at us in the lastest newsletter.

As @Alway Swilby said on the other thread:

11 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

No, but they could complain about the lack of notice. Imagine if all the elsan points were permanently closed at 7:15pm this evening without any warning.

That's essentially what has just happened to those of us following the official guidance in the Boater's Handbook ...

• Greenie 2

But at what point should C&RT stop providing new facilities, ie Compost disposal, charging points, new long term moorings etc. On the Broads you wont find any Broads Authority rubbish disposal other than at their Yacht Stations where you pay to moor.  No pumpouts or elsan disposal that I know of.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Non-government organisations can reasonably impose their own restrictions, provided that they comply with the legal ones. Nothing inherently wrong with Biffa refusing to take something that they could have chosen so to do. That is a commercial decision, especially if it affects their operating costs.

Then the CRT should take their business elsewhere.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Like I said on the other thread, this needs a bit more joined up thinking by the CRT and not just a knee jerk complete U turn by an individual. 

I agree, I wonder how expensive it would be to provide a dedicated bin for uncomposted poo and then disposed of in the same manner as dog waste bins? 

I suppose until more than 5% of boaters convert to a dry toilet then it would just fill up with dead sofas. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But at what point should C&RT stop providing new facilities, ie Compost disposal, charging points, new long term moorings etc. 

Depends on demand Brian.  They haven't provided a new facility, they have removed - with zero notice and no realistic alternative - the one we were told to use for years.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Then the CRT should take their business elsewhere.

The same applies to CaRT - AFAIK, they do not have an obligation to enable composting. The more boaters demand it then the more likely they are to provide it. Otherwise, perhaps not.

15 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The same applies to CaRT - AFAIK, they do not have an obligation to enable composting. The more boaters demand it then the more likely they are to provide it. Otherwise, perhaps not.

Its not going to happen. Composting bogs are a tiny minority and always have been as they dont improve on any of the tried and tested boat bogs that we have all used for donkeys years. How many boaters on this forum have them? How many boats at present for sale have them? It aint many and they have been around for a very long time. One boater ( Peter ) lives on a mooring with oodles of space and composts as they are meant to be used, others we are not sure of apart from Dr Bob who craps in a bag and puts it in the bins ? ( I will be seeing him for beer later int year and re edumakating him) :D So I doubt CART will be providing compost heaps around the system any time soon.

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Its not going to happen. Composting bogs are a tiny minority and always have been as they dont improve on any of the tried and tested boat bogs that we have all used for donkeys years. How many boaters on this forum have them? How many boats at present for sale have them? It aint many and they have been around for a very long time. One boater ( Peter ) lives on a mooring with oodles of space and composts as they are meant to be used, others we are not sure of apart from Dr Bob who craps in a bag and puts it in the bins ? ( I will be seeing him for beer later int year and re edumakating him) :D So I doubt CART will be providing compost heaps around the system any time soon.

If I have to ever remove my tank it would be high on my list as an alternative

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

...but I think they do have an obligation to continue to supply services that they have been providing for 3 years ie the use of their bins to dispose of solids. In supplying services in return for payment, you cant just stop supplying a service when you want to. Especially if it means that their licensee couldnt use his boat. I am not sure the CRT have passed this by their legal department.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

...but I think they do have an obligation to continue to supply services that they have been providing for 3 years ie the use of their bins to dispose of solids. In supplying services in return for payment, you cant just stop supplying a service when you want to. Especially if it means that their licensee couldnt use his boat. I am not sure the CRT have passed this by their legal department.

As I have said in the other thread, what services are they providing in return for paymentHave you ever paid CRT to put dried poo in their rubbish bins? I (and many others ) regularly pay boatyards to remove my toilet waste.

6 hours ago, Chagall said:

I read the link as Hygiene waste etc meaning things like nappies which are soiled not solid Sh1T

48 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I would have thought that the PR department would be more significant rather than legal - I suspect that they don't have a problem in the latter but the former . . .  notwithstanding it was a PR person who has set the cat among the pigeons!