Poo'tastic?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Well Bob you are just confirming what I have known from 8 years of using a composting loo, I went for the seperate villa because Lynn the lady of the time thought the natures head to strange so it was crossed off the list.

The villa is very robustly made and apart from a couple of fans failing [couple of quid to replace and easy done] it has been faultless I could and would not want a cassette or pump out loo

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

There is no smell. None. We are using the carbon filter rather than an external vent and it works. We empty the liquid bottle every 2 days and the solids bucket every 5 days. It takes seconds to lift them out and dispose of the contents (solids in a compost bin – but also very easy to double bag it in degradable bags and put in the rubbish). There is no nasty poo smell at all. A bonus is that there is no smell in the bathroom when following someone in who has just done a number 2. None of this “leave it a few minutes before you use the bathroom”! There are no toilet smells around the boat. No smell of 'blue'. No smells when you empty it.

Can you expand on this?  What sort of compost bin?  Where do you keep it?  I'm picturing you tipping out the poo from the compoost bucket into a bigger bucket on the front deck.

And presumably, emptying the liquid bottle means tipping it in the cut?

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can you expand on this?  What sort of compost bin?  Where do you keep it?  I'm picturing you tipping out the poo from the compoost bucket into a bigger bucket on the front deck.

And presumably, emptying the liquid bottle means tipping it in the cut?

Big compost bin in the marina.

When we are out and about in April onwards, then we will have a 50litre plastic box but I am more than likely just double bag it and bin it.

Not emptying liquid into the cut. Not a good idea as it promotes weed growth. No, there is lots of woodland around so that is where I pour it.

There are a handfull of peeps here who have these 'dry' toilets and are disposing of the solids/liquids in the same way.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

When we are out and about in April onwards, then we will have a 50litre plastic box but I am more than likely just double bag it and bin it.

Not emptying liquid into the cut. Not a good idea as it promotes weed growth. No, there is lots of woodland around so that is where I pour it.

There are a handfull of peeps here who have these 'dry' toilets and are disposing of the solids/liquids in the same way.

I often moor in urban areas.  No woodland.  What would you suggest other than the cut?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I often moor in urban areas.  No woodland.  What would you suggest other than the cut?

That then is a problem. Hedgerows or grass. We tend not to be anywhere urban for more than a couple of days. Centre of Brum is about the only place we stop for longer but then the liquid can go down the elsan. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

So when cruising you need to find...and fill up...CRT waste bins....thats really helpful to other users plus it means you still need to find them....remind me how this is in any way better than using a elsan or pump out? I think all users who insist on crapping into a bin bag should have to carry it round with them until they find a bin marked up for human waste.....

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, frangar said:

So when cruising you need to find...and fill up...CRT waste bins....thats really helpful to other users plus it means you still need to find them....remind me how this is in any way better than using a elsan or pump out? I think all users who insist on crapping into a bin bag should have to carry it round with them until they find a bin marked up for human waste.....

Totally agree. Fortunately I have a composting toilet so don't have to use a bin bag.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Totally agree. Fortunately I have a composting toilet so don't have to use a bin bag.

Can you expand on this?  What do you do with your poo?  Do you have a way of fully composting on your boat, or do you transfer it into some other receptacle to put in a rubbish bin?

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So which one is actually a composting toilet and not just a waterless one 

I find the whole subject confusing ?. I thought that all the devices separate liquid and solid but don't do any composting. That seems to happen when the solids are extracted and put in another container to start composting or they are put in poo bags and put into rubbish bins while you empty the liquid under a hedge or in an elsan. 

One question I haven't seen answered although it has been asked, is which compartment does the poo go into when it is of the more liquid than solid type?

Haggis

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

One question I haven't seen answered although it has been asked, is which compartment does the poo go into when it is of the more liquid than solid type?

Surely, unless you are a contortionist, which compartment it ends up in depends on which bodily orifice it exits from, regardless of its consistency.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Men can stand up to wee - rather than sit down.

What is so different about this model compared with others that it doesn't require men to sit?

Edited by David Mack

57 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surely, unless you are a contortionist, which compartment it ends up in depends on which bodily orifice it exits from, regardless of its consistency.

Sorry, my question shows my lack of understanding on how the outputs are separated. ? Sounds like it is a question of aim !

Haggis

Edited by haggis

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, my question shows my lack of understanding on how the outputs are separated. ? Sounds like it is a question of aim !

Haggis

It is very much a question of aim, it's why blokes are advised to sit down when using most separating bogs

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

What is so different about this model compared with others that it doesn't require men to sit?

That was answered a few pages back. Down to the design of the top and it uses a splash reducing device that works well - the type you see in urinals.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

So which one is actually a composting toilet and not just a waterless one ?

I am not sure if the word composting should be used as not a lot of composting takes place in situ. I use the word Compoosting as that is the trade name of the toilet. The best description is 'dry' toilet and peeps can then compost if they feel that is right.

The key is these toilets separate liquids from solids so the smell issue disappears. You get the smell when you mix wee and poo.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Have you never emptied liquid directly into the cut on returning to the boat after an evening in the pub?

No.

I've used the hedge on a few occasions. Urine in the canal is not a good idea as it helps more weed grow.

2 hours ago, haggis said:

I find the whole subject confusing ?. I thought that all the devices separate liquid and solid but don't do any composting. That seems to happen when the solids are extracted and put in another container to start composting

They can do composting if left long enough but this one I have is only a 5 day cycle for solids so composting happens outside.

2 hours ago, haggis said:

We have not had this issue yet but according to reviews I have read, the compost or coir in the solids bin will soak up that sort of liquid poo and there is no problem. I guess you would sprinkle a bit of compost/coir over the top of it if you were worried. Having seen how they operate, I can easily see them coping with liquid poo for a number of days. The advantage of our 5 day solids cycle is that it would be easy to pour out and refil for the next cycle. First hand experience of them gives you a lot more understanding of how they work.

4 hours ago, haggis said:

I find the whole subject confusing ?. I thought that all the devices separate liquid and solid but don't do any composting. That seems to happen when the solids are extracted and put in another container to start composting or they are put in poo bags and put into rubbish bins while you empty the liquid under a hedge or in an elsan. 

Haggis

5 hours ago, frahkn said:

That is what I thought, which is why I asked which one composts

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

No.

I've used the hedge on a few occasions. Urine in the canal is not a good idea as it helps more weed grow.

Especially when you have had a few, falling into the hedge is one thing

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

That was answered a few pages back. Down to the design of the top and it uses a splash reducing device that works well - the type you see in urinals.

I am not sure if the word composting should be used as not a lot of composting takes place in situ. I use the word Compoosting as that is the trade name of the toilet. The best description is 'dry' toilet and peeps can then compost if they feel that is right.

The key is these toilets separate liquids from solids so the smell issue disappears. You get the smell when you mix wee and poo.

And I agree with what you said, see my other posts

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Mine has a big bucket so can do 2 - 3 months between emptying, however I also throw the veg matter in there as well so it is shortening the time between emptying.

As you know mine goes onto the compost heap Smith also adds chicken poo and straw from the bedding onto it. In 2 years time it will be fully cooked and raring to feed our vegetables ?

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can you expand on this?  What do you do with your poo?  Do you have a way of fully composting on your boat, or do you transfer it into some other receptacle to put in a rubbish bin?

Yes, certainly.  I initially put the emptied 'product' into a lidded plastic container which I sourced at Wilco. I tend to empty the toilet solids every 3 weeks and can fit two lots of product into a single container. So in theory would fill a container every 6 weeks. I had planned to store these containers in a very large (1700 litres) deck locker on the boat but in practice we tend to go home about once every 6 weeks or so (we spend about half the year on the boat but need to be at home at less than 2 monthly intervals for insurance purposes and for the garden) so the containers are taken home and added to the home compost heap.

I say nothing whatsoever against those who use other safe disposal methods but I would not personally choose to do so.

Started a thread which has much more detail but can't find it at the moment.

• Greenie 1