Poo'tastic?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But I think the paper makes it clear that undiluted it is of no real use and the quantity of water could create significant water management issues if the urine were just used on agricultural land.

As I read it, that act is illegal.

I have great veg though 

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yes Brian it is good stuff but the naysayers spoil it by talking out of their a**e

Lower nutrient concentrations require larger quantities of urine to be applied per hectare as fertiliser, which creates logistics problems in terms of storage (as approx. 550 L of urine are produced per person and year) and increases the costs of transportation and application. Hence urine, as excreted, is not a competitive fertiliser. To better utilise the nutrients, the excess water in urine needs to be removed.

42 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Lower nutrient concentrations require larger quantities of urine to be applied per hectare as fertiliser, which creates logistics problems in terms of storage (as approx. 550 L of urine are produced per person and year) and increases the costs of transportation and application. Hence urine, as excreted, is not a competitive fertiliser. To better utilise the nutrients, the excess water in urine needs to be removed.

I just take it up to the allotment and pour it on, I have IBCs with rain water in them add the wee to watering can add water job done works for me

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I just take it up to the allotment and pour it on, I have IBCs with rain water in them add the wee to watering can add water job done works for me

But is it legal? Or is this the one occasion when you don't much mind?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Then transported to Holland to be diluted and fed to the plants?

I don't think so.

Years ago farmer's tried feeding newspaper sprayed with molasses to beef cattle, I suppose they could have recycled urine, and fed that too?

I think the residues from sewage farms are injected in to soils, personally that makes a good case for organic farming in a responsible way, not concentrating God knows how many drugs and residues and putting it back into food I might eat. 

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But is it legal? Or is this the one occasion when you don't much mind?

Lol, a lot more work than making a comfrey infusion and spreading it on the allotment.

Bye the way, farmers spent years working out what fertilisers and in what quantity are required for various crops at various stages. Nitrogen is good for grass growing, but nor for root veg or many other plants, Peter is just disposing of his wastes, fair enough, but he is not doing so in a scientific manner. 

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Lol, a lot more work than making a comfrey infusion and spreading it on the allotment.

Bye the way, farmers spent years working out what fertilisers and in what quantity are required for various crops at various stages. Nitrogen is good for grass growing, but nor for root veg or many other plants, Peter is just disposing of his wastes, fair enough, but he is not doing so in a scientific manner. 

I think you will find you do need nitrogen along with other nutrients, how much pee do you think I can produce? I have a very large double allotment so the concentration is weak, anyway it works because I have great veg 

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I think you will find you do need nitrogen along with other nutrients, how much pee do you think I can produce? 

If like some, about a teaspoon full every two hours?  ?

Edited by Chagall
added 'full' and a smiley to take away the sting ?
  • Haha 1

I think the figure previously quoted is 550 l per person per year, that's a fair amount, if we assume smaller people, children and adults are included in the 550, my guestimate is that Peter produces 770 l, but disposes of much of it in conventionsl sewerage, or behind trees. So maybe 365 l per annum, which is 1l per day to the allotment. Am I right?

Edited by LadyG

40 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I think you will find you do need nitrogen along with other nutrients, how much pee do you think I can produce? I have a very large double allotment so the concentration is weak, anyway it works because I have great veg 

All plants use N P (or should that be Pee) K but in variou amounts depending on the crop.   Nitrogen is needed in all green plants as it is a major part of chlorophyll.  Leafy plants need/use more than root crops etc.

N.B.  Yes I know P is phosphorus not nitrogen as my comment in brackets might suggest.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think the figure previously quoted is 550 l per person per year, that's a fair amount, if we assume smaller people, children and adults are included in the 550, my guestimate is that Peter produces 770 l, but disposes of much of it in conventionsl sewerage, or behind trees. So maybe 365 l per annum, which is 1l per day to the allotment. Am I right?

About 5 litres per week so it's not horrendous but it does depend on where we are. I ain't going to stop using it as it works and as yet hasn't caused any problems 

56 minutes ago, Jerra said:

All plants use N P (or should that be Pee) K but in variou amounts depending on the crop.   Nitrogen is needed in all green plants as it is a major part of chlorophyll.  Leafy plants need/use more than root crops etc.

N.B.  Yes I know P is phosphorus not nitrogen as my comment in brackets might suggest.

It saves me buying something that I produce naturally a win win for me

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But I think the paper makes it clear that undiluted it is of no real use and the quantity of water could create significant water management issues if the urine were just used on agricultural land.

Yes, but that is about the undiluted stuff for using it on commercial scale. On a smaller scale, the water content is not an issue as it will not flood the land. The paper makes it clear that urine is very useful as a fertiliser.

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

As I read it, that act is illegal.

Please tell us where you read that. The paper infers that it is not illegal - as the whole paper is around how urine can be used as a fertiliser on agricultural land.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, but that is about the undiluted stuff for using it on commercial scale. On a smaller scale, the water content is not an issue as it will not flood the land. The paper makes it clear that urine is very useful as a fertiliser.

Please tell us where you read that. The paper infers that it is not illegal - as the whole paper is around how urine can be used as a fertiliser on agricultural land.

Bob it's where mine goes, I suspect it goes on all over the country. I was talking to John who had a boat until last year with a composting loo, when he sold it he removed it and took it to Cornwall with him, he intends using both solids and wee on the land of his small holding.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes, but finding out 'what works' is not enough. Waste disposal, especially human products, is highly controlled and anything else is illegal fly (!) tipping. Even farmers have to comply with the paperwork . . .

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

About 5 litres per week so it's not horrendous but it does depend on where we are. I ain't going to stop using it as it works and as yet hasn't caused any problems 

Sounds a bit like the argument that LadyG rails against re towpath users: "I use the towpath regularly and it has not caused me any problems"

Update on progress.

Existing macerator toilet (6 months old) removed and water pipe and waste pipe capped and sealed. Existing wiring connected to the compoosting toilet. All in working order except need to do some surgery to the wood behind the toilet so it accepts the filter and the unit can be slid back flush against the wood.

First impressions (24hrs) very good. No smell wotsoever. No surprises using it.....and I can pee standing up! (which is a bonus as with most makes you cant).

The duck is happy. Mrs Bob's happy.

The big thing for me now is that we are not dependent on anything other than us to have a working toilet (the canal freezing, the nearby pump out not working, too much wind to get to the pump out, the macerator having an off day, etc etc). I'll do a more detailed review in a few weeks. I'll keep you poosted.

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 14.11.46.png

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The big thing for me now is that we are not dependent on anything other than us to have a working toilet (the canal freezing, the nearby pump out not working, too much wind to get to the pump out, the macerator having an off day, etc etc).

Careful now.  You might be making others start to think about one.

At least you didn't mention how much longer the water tank lasts when you aren't flushing half of it into the black tank ...

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1