Poo'tastic?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Terribly old fashioned I know but when we had the girls there was no waste (apart from theirs).   Both the nappy and the liner were washable.

Ooohhhhhhhh noooooooooo you couldnt have todays parents washing nappies!! far too messy for the poor little mites to contend with. Terry made all our nappies too but we did use thin disposable liners.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We had a big purple bucket for the nappies and a big white one for the beer!

When we had our youngest sprog disposable nappies were about, about 3 makes in total and megga expensive and crap. We did try some but they were rubbish Peaudouce iirc. Not many use proper nappies today do they.

11 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Well I didn't know that was available, good for them

It’s quite new I think, it’s many years since I I needed to deal with nappies, it appears they are collected weekly which encourages people to separate them from the black bag collections which are collected fortnightly. Also, as I don’t think it is available to all areas yet there are facilities at playgroups etc. To drop the used nappies off. 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

And how long will it be between emptying plastic bags full of poo into rubbish skips?

19 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Dunno?

I assumed you had evaluated this before making the change.

Your original post said that pumpout every 4 weeks on the old boat were OK, but every 2 weeks on the new boat are not. But if you are going to need to empty the compost loo every 2 weeks where's the benefit?

Personally I would rather let someone else handle the pumpout whenever its needed, rather than having to deal with a bag of sh*t myself at much the same frequency.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I assumed you had evaluated this before making the change.

Your original post said that pumpout every 4 weeks on the old boat were OK, but every 2 weeks on the new boat are not. But if you are going to need to empty the compost loo every 2 weeks where's the benefit?

Personally I would rather let someone else handle the pumpout whenever its needed, rather than having to deal with a bag of sh*t myself at much the same frequency.

The problem with pumping out every 2 weeks is not the actual pumping. That is easy. Doesnt smell. Dont get your hands dirty. The issue with having to do it every 2 weeks is the hassle. When out and about Apr- Oct, it is the fact I will HAVE to find somewhere every 2 weeks and how many times do these pump outs break down? I dont want that restriction or worry. For the winter period when in the marina, going to the  pump out takes up to an hour having to put the pram cover down, clearing the cruiser deck, moving the christmas lights, waiting for the two boats on the service dock to finish and then going back to the berth. Then factor in the water freezing over as it is likely to do this week or a week of high winds which we had earaly december.

With the compoosting toilet, the solids bucket needs emptying circa ever 5-7days for a couple and this takes less than 5 minutes to pour into the compost bin (or double bagged nappy bag). Less time than to use an elsan. That really isnt a problem. We are told it doesnt smell and is more like leaf mould. We will see!

It really is a pain to have to pump out so often which is not something we have full control over. The compost toilet we do.

• Greenie 2

34 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The problem with pumping out every 2 weeks is not the actual pumping. That is easy. Doesnt smell. Dont get your hands dirty. The issue with having to do it every 2 weeks is the hassle. When out and about Apr- Oct, it is the fact I will HAVE to find somewhere every 2 weeks and how many times do these pump outs break down? I dont want that restriction or worry. For the winter period when in the marina, going to the  pump out takes up to an hour having to put the pram cover down, clearing the cruiser deck, moving the christmas lights, waiting for the two boats on the service dock to finish and then going back to the berth. Then factor in the water freezing over as it is likely to do this week or a week of high winds which we had earaly december.

With the compoosting toilet, the solids bucket needs emptying circa ever 5-7days for a couple and this takes less than 5 minutes to pour into the compost bin (or double bagged nappy bag). Less time than to use an elsan. That really isnt a problem. We are told it doesnt smell and is more like leaf mould. We will see!

It really is a pain to have to pump out so often which is not something we have full control over. The compost toilet we do.

I trust your marina are happy you are going to be filling their bins up with human waste?? I really hope you won’t be mooring where I might! 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

I trust your marina are happy you are going to be filling their bins up with human waste?? I really hope you won’t be mooring where I might! 

BWML (as was) refused access / moorings to boats with Composting toilets

It appears that the emptying of Composting Toilet Waste contravenes the 'Transfer of Waste' legislation and BWML have therefore circulated information to berth holders (particularly residential) as follows :

Brown Waste

It is illegal to discharge any sewage into the marina and all sea toilet seacocks should be closed when berthed in a BWML marina to ensure there is no accidental discharge. Consider a holding tank if using a sea-going craft for residential purposes, rather than face the possible prosecution by the Environment Agency. Elsan disposal points are available for portable toilets systems, and do not empty cassettes into the marina or toilets. Even if you have a pump out fitted, it is worth considering a ‘cassette’ style toilet for the winter months as marinas do freeze over. Currently, composting toilets are not permitted in BWML marinas under the current waste transfer laws.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Ahh now the truth comes out!! 

So in reality you need to skip the bloody awful pram hood, skip the unnecessary crap off the cruiser deck and as for bloomin Christmas lights!!!! 

• Horror 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh now the truth comes out!! 

So in reality you need to skip the bloody awful pram hood, skip the unnecessary crap off the cruiser deck and as for bloomin Christmas lights!!!! 

Sounds more like a static caravan than a cruising boat! 

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

It is a bit irritating that having a composting loo is so often equated with dumping human waste. We compost our waste and have never dumped anything. It was one of the things which I considered before spending a thousand pounds on the toilet in the first place

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, frahkn said:

It is a bit irritating that having a composting loo is so often equated with dumping human waste. We compost our waste and have never dumped anything. It was one of the things which I considered before spending a thousand pounds on the toilet in the first place

It’s “equated” because by their own admission it’s what the vast majority of users of such devices do. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

You said, I think, that this boat has a bigger poo tank than your previous one yet you are having to have a pump out more frequently. This was because your current loo uses more flush water. Would it not have been easier to restrict the quantity of flushing water and continue to have your loo contents dealt with in the sewer system than put in a system which results in loo contents going to landfill?  We are, as a nation , trying to reduce our landfill requirements I believe.

I am asking as I am genuinely puzzled

No, you read it wrong. The new boat has a slightly smaller holding tank (20% less) but the toilet uses more water (macerator vs vacuflush). Cant adjust the water (yet) as it is under warranty. I will be composting most of the time.

19 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Please Sir, how do you then dispose of the composted waste?

14 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, you read it wrong. The new boat has a slightly smaller holding tank (20% less) but the toilet uses more water (macerator vs vacuflush). Cant adjust the water (yet) as it is under warranty. I will be composting most of the time.

Sorry. I read it wrong. We have a macerator on kelpie and if we want to use less flushing water, we just  put some water in the bathroom glass (the basin is next to the loo), tip it into the loo in a rinsing motion  and just use the empty facility instead of the flush.  We don't do that often though as the loo tank lasts two of us about six weeks. 

Good that you will be composting most of the time . Where on the boat will this take place ? Will that be a use for your pram hood cover - instead of a conservatory, you will have a compost room ? ? 

haggis. Sorry to ask so many questions but I just can't understand why so many boaters think the best way to deal with their poo is to go back to the bucket and chuckit days and I must be missing something

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wont ripping it out effect the warranty 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It will affect the warranty on the toilet and toilet system only....but that is not then a problem. Not likely to take the tank out for another 6 months in case we dont get on with the new system. Easy to change back.