Composting Toilets Not Allowed In Marina.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

It appears that the emptying of Composting Toilet Waste contravenes the 'Transfer of Waste' legislation and BWML have therefore circulated information to berth holders (particularly residential) as follows :

Brown Waste

It is illegal to discharge any sewage into the marina and all sea toilet seacocks should be closed when berthed in a BWML marina to ensure there is no accidental discharge. Consider a holding tank if using a sea-going craft for residential purposes, rather than face the possible prosecution by the Environment Agency. Elsan disposal points are available for portable toilets systems, and do not empty cassettes into the marina or toilets. Even if you have a pump out fitted, it is worth considering a ‘cassette’ style toilet for the winter months as marinas do freeze over. Currently, composting toilets are not permitted in BWML marinas under the current waste transfer laws.

Its not only BWML I know of another set of moorings where they are not allowed. Its probably because some people do not use them as composting toilets and just crap in the plastic bag in the box as it where then every few days put it in the general rubbish skips  :o Whats the point? Thats why we have a perfectly useable sensible elsan system.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 2

Thats been ongoing for a while- I had to look at a boats toilet system and clarify that it did discharge into holding tanks many months ago.

I am not sure about the 'illegal' bit though as sea toilets are allowed on the River Great Ouse. Certainly I agree it is not a very good idea for many static boats to be discharging into a marina though.

I had no idea about the composting loo's though.Interesting as I fitted one a while ago- surely they can only insist you dispose of waste elsewhere?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I am not sure about the 'illegal' bit though as sea toilets are allowed on the River Great Ouse. Certainly I agree it is not a very good idea for many static boats to be discharging into a marina though.

It is quite legal to have 'sea-toilets' on the River Trent, but, as the marinas are not on the Rivers, and are 'private land' they can impose whatever rules they wish.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Can't you just empty the contents of a compost loo into an elsan point? And flush it down with plenty of water.

You could but they dont and thats the problem.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Can't you just empty the contents of a compost loo into an elsan point? And flush it down with plenty of water.

It would seem pretty pointless saving it under  your bed for 6-months and allowing it to dry out, to then take bucket loads of sawdust & desiccated poo, tip in in the toilet bowl and pour on gallons of water to try and get it to 'go'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Is it the presence of composting toilets that is not permitted in BWML marinas, or just the emptying?

The note says :

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Currently, composting toilets are not permitted in BWML marinas................

Maybe it will be added to the 'checklist' 

1) BSS

2) Insurance

3) Licence

4) Composting toilet.

I think BWML are correct here .... after all there's enough conflict between pump-out and cassette, we don't need another option to complicate things any more than at the moment :cheers:

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are they also banning disposable nappies?  Does that mean no small children are allowed in BWML marinas? 

There is quite a difference between a disposable nappy and a bucket full of raw crap.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I suspect the objection is that the liquid waste is dumped over the side or onto the surrounding land.  

I suspect the objection is plastic bags of only ‘lightly’ composed poo in the general rubbish bins, as composting bog owners tire of storing several buckets of poo on the boat for months on end. The months turn into weeks, then the weeks eventually turn into days, then chuck it in the bins immediately. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

You lot have no idea I empty my composting toilet every 3 months not twice weekly like your cassettes or every couple of weeks like your pump outs!! god how much work and pain you must all go through glug glug better go to the shower to wash all this shit off me :giggles:

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

You lot have no idea I empty my composting toilet every 3 months not twice weekly like your cassettes or every couple of weeks like your pump outs!! god how much work and pain you must all go through glug glug better go to the shower to wash all this shit off me :giggles:

You do but not all dont. Just like some people with elsans look the other way when they empty it over the floor and pump outs use elsan disposal units where permitted and don't fix the hose end