Poo'tastic?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I would have thought that the PR department would be more significant rather than legal - I suspect that they don't have a problem in the latter but the former . . .  notwithstanding it was a PR person who has set the cat among the pigeons!

Surely there is no PR issue with stopping liveaboard boaters using their only toilet with zero notice while the canals are frozen during a pandemic and lockdown?

It's not like there are not lots of other options for them - surely they can all go and use the toilets in the shut pubs ...

• Greenie 1

to be fair, whilst I wouldnt have a composting bog for all the tea in china, as I see zero benefits to anyone in them,  unless the millions of UK houses go onto them and close the sewerage system down to be " Green :rolleyes: " 

However as peeps have been allowed to use them for quite some time and invested in them, if I had bought one I would be well miffed if they more or less overnight became outlawed without consultation.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

...but I think they do have an obligation to continue to supply services that they have been providing for 3 years ie the use of their bins to dispose of solids. In supplying services in return for payment, you cant just stop supplying a service when you want to. Especially if it means that their licensee couldnt use his boat. I am not sure the CRT have passed this by their legal department.

Some wooly thinking there Dr Bob, the CRT close down large parts of the network every winter, and we know that sometimes boats are left isolated by unforseen stoppages, so it seems to me they are not "obliged" to maintain services. Their remit seems to be to keep a high profile and generate income to pay for maintenance and possible improvements eg new signage, better towpaths, improved London services. 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Some wooly thinking there Dr Bob, the CRT close down large parts of the network every winter, and we know that sometimes boats are left isolated by unforseen stoppages, so it seems to me they are not "obliged" to maintain services. Their remit seems to be to keep a high profile and generate income to pay for maintenance and possible improvements eg new signage, better towpaths, improved London services. 

My understanding is that the boat licence fee we pay only entitles us to put a boat on the waterways. It does not entitle us to move and there is nothing in the licence agreement to day they must provide navigable canals or that  must provide and maintain services. 

Haggis

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there is an Act of Parliament that says the canals must be kept navigable, and, even details of what dimensions they must be maintained to.

Of course! I had in mind that they can close bits of the canals for maintenance.

Haggis

19 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

...but I think they do have an obligation to continue to supply services that they have been providing for 3 years ie the use of their bins to dispose of solids. In supplying services in return for payment, you cant just stop supplying a service when you want to. Especially if it means that their licensee couldnt use his boat. I am not sure the CRT have passed this by their legal department.

Thinking about this one, what about the wide beam boats on the Oxford C&RT have just withdrawn what they were getting, ie. Up to now they could cruise from Braunston to Hillmorton but that has been stopped overnight

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thinking about this one, what about the wide beam boats on the Oxford C&RT have just withdrawn what they were getting, ie. Up to now they could cruise from Braunston to Hillmorton but that has been stopped overnight

I don't think that is a good analogy. The CRT have always given a max dimensions and have not been public either way on fat boats on that canal. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I don't think that is a good analogy. The CRT have always given a max dimensions and have not been public either way on fat boats on that canal. 

Surely, a very close analogy.

Despite publishing dimensions  'fatty' boats have been allowed free access, the rules have never been applied, now the use is becoming more widespread, overnight that permissive use has been withdrawn.

Despite rules allowing no more than 7Kg of faeces in the bins, C&RT have never enforced the rule, more folks are now doing it so the permissive use has been withdrawn 'overnight'.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Despite publishing dimensions  'fatty' boats have been allowed free access, the rules have never been applied, now the use is becoming more widespread, overnight that permissive use has been withdrawn.

Despite rules allowing no more than 7Kg of faeces in the bins, C&RT have never enforced the rule, more folks are now doing it so the permissive use has been withdrawn 'overnight'.

The same thing happened in the past with CCers moving  or not on the K&A and the outcry that caused

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'permission' has in this case not been totally withdrawn, only that te arrangements for the Blisworth/Braunston Tunnels has been extended - the fat boast can still access the marinas but in a controlled manner. If it was needed I am sure that a H&S argument could be constructed for this!