Don't try this at home folks!

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I wouldn't condone it, but is it naughty to still think that its pretty awesome? 

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be condoned. A lot of skill and training has gone into it. Would it be better if they were on drugs, stealing from shops and throwing stones at boats? So no, not naughty to think it pretty awesome because it is!

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be condoned. A lot of skill and training has gone into it. Would it be better if they were on drugs, stealing from shops and throwing stones at boats? So no, not naughty to think it pretty awesome because it is!

I wish I was fit enough or had ever been fit enough to do it

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Do you have any evidence that these lads have ever called an ambulance, or is your’s a Trumpesque post?

No. However if you research you will find that far more motorcyclists visit hospital than other road users. Gross stupidity as shown here and Darwin will intervene.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No. However if you research you will find that far more motorcyclists visit hospital than other road users. Gross stupidity as shown here and Darwin will intervene.

I didn’t notice any motorcyclists in the video. Were you looking at the right one?

I admire their skill (and fitness)

But

I'm sure the Victorian water engineers (if that is the pipe's purpose) calculated the structural loads correctly. They may even have calculated that in those days, less H+S, people might climb on the pipe. but they may not have anticipated someone landing and (briefly) apply a high shock load in both vertical and horizontal plane's.

We've recently had four business's (one a cafe and one a bar) lose about £4,500 each in lost trade over two days as youngsters decided water pipes running along the underside of the concrete deck of a car park were good handrails for similar exercise. A pipe broke cutting off the drinking water to the business's - took the site landlord two days to fix. Needless to say the youngsters were nowhere to be seen!!

3 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

We've recently had four business's (one a cafe and one a bar) lose about £4,500 each in lost trade over two days as youngsters decided water pipes running along the underside of the concrete deck of a car park were good handrails for similar exercise. A pipe broke cutting off the drinking water to the business's - took the site landlord two days to fix. Needless to say the youngsters were nowhere to be seen!!

Obviously this bit is unfortunate and unfair to the business who ended up with the bill but they are not out thieving, or any other pass time society considers anti social, they are stupidly fit and generally harming no one.

Good on them

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

As somebody who has a daughter who does very low skill level parkour I agree about the skill and training.   However I don't see how we can not condemn this and then complain when people who see it think "I'll do that" and get killed trying to jump a lock and we suffer the resulting "Health and Safety" changes.

Incidentally my daughter's parkour group only carry it out where they have permission, I seriously doubt CRT gave permission for this.

24 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As somebody who has a daughter who does very low skill level parkour I agree about the skill and training.   However I don't see how we can not condemn this and then complain when people who see it think "I'll do that" and get killed trying to jump a lock and we suffer the resulting "Health and Safety" changes.

Incidentally my daughter's parkour group only carry it out where they have permission, I seriously doubt CRT gave permission for this.

I understand where you are coming from about H&S and permission etc. But a large part of this is being "naughty " or being outside of society or however they want to describe it, this sort of thing has always gone on and old farts have always got all bah humbug about it.

Society can't legislate to remove all risks

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I understand where you are coming from about H&S and permission etc. But a large part of this is being "naughty " or being outside of society or however they want to describe it, this sort of thing has always gone on and old farts have always got all bah humbug about it.

Society can't legislate to remove all risks

Not as far as the organised groups my daughter has attended both in the UK and abroad (Paris & Berlin) it isn't about being naughty.

29 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Not as far as the organised groups my daughter has attended both in the UK and abroad (Paris & Berlin) it isn't about being naughty.

There will always be a subculture pushing limits and often what started as a subculture becomes mainstream eventually 

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

There will always be a subculture pushing limits and often what started as a subculture becomes mainstream eventually 

There may be truth in what you say, but I don't see too many folk having the ability to make this a mainstream activity! :D

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Parkour started in the early years of the 20th century I suspect that organised parkour is more the subculture becoming mainstream.

We had one lad ask us if it was ok to cross the gate as we were going up Farmers Bridge, he then crossed the gate, skipped over the overflow and jumped up the wall in what seemed like a few steps. He did miss grabbing the railings on his first attempt and we thought he was going in the cut but he just took a few steps back and tried again making the top the second time.