Facebook insisting on photo of new members

jenevers

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

nope, this is

default.png

Ah, he looks a bit thinner. 

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I generally refer to it as Arsebook. I wonder if they want a photo?

Only if it's an improvement. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Only if yer daft enough to join!!

If anyone you know has the Facebook app on their phone it will have harvested all their contacts, so it will know that you know them Look up shadow profiles on Google, who also know everything!

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

so it can tell me where i put my original pair of reading glasses that vanished? :D 

Only if you can see well enough to type the question!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If anyone you know has the Facebook app on their phone it will have harvested all their contacts, so it will know that you know them Look up shadow profiles on Google, who also know everything!

And has probably taken a picture of you anyway.  (same goes for a laptop or PC)

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The wife is on it so she can join in with the bloomin grandkids out and about on their travels!!

Facebook was one of the first to use face recognition software. It then popped up to label you in other people's photos, and tell you about it. It was quite interesting as it was wrong most of the time, meaning the data that it sells on about you was nicely up the duff. Basically, just like the police stuff, and Google's, it couldn't tell people apart - just didn't work, any more than self driving cars can tell a person from a minor obstruction it can drive over. It's why the targeted advertising of all these things keeps trying to flog you stuff you wouldn't touch with that long but of wood on the boat roof.

I have a Firefox addon called Privacy Badger which blocks trackers, it stops over 30 on any newspaper site for instance.   I also have Facebook Container which claims to stop them following you.   It always amuses me when sites say they value your privacy when they obviously do not.

12 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I have a Firefox addon called Privacy Badger which blocks trackers, it stops over 30 on any newspaper site for instance.   I also have Facebook Container which claims to stop them following you.   It always amuses me when sites say they value your privacy when they obviously do not.

Privacy Badger is good. Can be installed on a lot of other browsers too. Not just Firefox.

No connection, except as a satisfied user.

Jen

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Can you explain how the Facebook app can access your contacts as it does not ask for that permission at all.  You can give it access to lots of other things but not contacts, at least that is the case on iOS.

For anybody that doesn't know Facebook has proven to be a life saver to people who had relatives in critical care who they couldn't visit. Along with care homes etc etc.

Yes it may invade your privacy if you let it but it has a positive side too.

My daughter and granddaughter spent hours talking to my son-in-law both whilst he was unconscious and whilst he was making his fragile post CC recovery. The consultant caring for him could have been talking BS but he is clear that the fact he could both see (when he woke) and hear them on FB messenger contributed to spurring on his recovery.

It also helped my daughter through some very dark days when she was on her own with a six year old and no one could visit.

(Yes of course before anybody says it I am aware 'other video chat apps'. are available)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

For anybody that doesn't know Facebook has proven to be a life saver to people who had relatives in critical care who they couldn't visit. Along with care homes etc etc.

Yes it may invade your privacy if you let it but it has a positive side too.

My daughter and granddaughter spent hours talking to my son-in-law both whilst he was unconscious and whilst he was making his fragile post CC recovery. The consultant caring for him could have been talking BS but he is clear that fact he could both see (when he woke) and hear them on FB messenger contributed to spurring on his recovery.

It also helped my daughter through some very dark days when she was on her own with a six year old and no one could visit.

(Yes of course before anybody says it I am aware 'other video chat apps'. are available)

This is true.  My parents wouldn't know where to start with downloading an app.  So getting skype or whatsapp on their phone would have been nigh on impossible at the start of lockdown.  But they did already have facebook, so I was able to video chat with them daily, while they weren't leaving their house.  It really was a lifeline for them.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Can you explain how the Facebook app can access your contacts as it does not ask for that permission at all.  You can give it access to lots of other things but not contacts, at least that is the case on iOS.

It might not on iOS, but it does on Android. That is likely an Apple thing stopping them on iOS as I'm sure they would if they could.