Jump to content

Atherstone locks


Featured Posts

On 23/10/2020 at 17:19, haggis said:

It surprises me how many boaters are unaware that they can sign up for emergency stoppage notices for the waterways they are about to boat on. When we are planning a trip it is one of the first things we do as it gives us a chance to change our plans if necessary

 

Haggis

We've heard that C&RT are stopping these email alerts in December. We too know how useful they are so I have asked the question if this is true or not and if so why for their Annual General Meeting on Wednesday. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Atherstone flight has been closed a number of times since the summer...They must have some pretty determined "vandals" in their town!?....

Three are determined vandals everywhere, sawing valence beams off on tithe Walsall, smashing the paddle great off with a sledgehammer on Ryders Green.  Removing the pins from the collar seems simple stuff in comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Atherstone flight has been closed a number of times since the summer...They must have some pretty determined "vandals" in their town!?....

we've been down and up it this year, and some of the gates are in v.poor repair to the point a good whack from an inconsiderate or out of control boat would destroy part of it.

in fact i believe that some of the facebook scuttlebutt has it that this is what snapped the collar in the first place that caused it to need replacement and lead to the contractors dropping the gate in.

other opinions are available, but CRT do love their "vandals" excuse

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

we've been down and up it this year, and some of the gates are in v.poor repair to the point a good whack from an inconsiderate or out of control boat would destroy part of it.

in fact i believe that some of the facebook scuttlebutt has it that this is what snapped the collar in the first place that caused it to need replacement and lead to the contractors dropping the gate in.

other opinions are available, but CRT do love their "vandals" excuse

I suppose if it gives the vandals a "feeling of well-being",it must be ok!!!🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/10/2020 at 15:02, pearley said:

 

I've often wondered why they don't tack weld those tapered steel bits to stop the collars being released.

Usually they do. When I first started boating the thin end of the wedge piece was just twisted to stop it going back through the holes in the collar. But now I notice on most locks a pair of wedges are used which are tack welded together.

Although that is not proof against a vandal with a cordless angle grinder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Usually they do. When I first started boating the thin end of the wedge piece was just twisted to stop it going back through the holes in the collar. But now I notice on most locks a pair of wedges are used which are tack welded together.

Although that is not proof against a vandal with a cordless angle grinder.

The L&L comes to mind there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

we've been down and up it this year, and some of the gates are in v.poor repair to the point a good whack from an inconsiderate or out of control boat would destroy part of it.

in fact i believe that some of the facebook scuttlebutt has it that this is what snapped the collar in the first place that caused it to need replacement and lead to the contractors dropping the gate in.

other opinions are available, but CRT do love their "vandals" excuse

 

Yes that ties in with what a boater currently moored near me and prevented by the closure from going up Atherstone, told me. 

 

He said he witnessed it and that it was an out of control hire boat that hit the gates very hard and damaged the collar.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

How long a walk is that from the top of the flight

easily 1 hour...65 bus is hourly Atherston/Polesworth £4.50

Or take a chance...order through me and Ill meat! you at Grendon Wharf!!!..

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Excellent pork pies from there.😋

As a side the retired narrow boat captain I visit loves his pork pies.

The ones I have been buying recently, including ones from the Butchers in Braunston have very little jelly, which he likes.

On enquiries it appears they are no longer made as the were in "days of yore."

Edited by Ray T
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As a side the retired narrow boat captain I visit loves his pork pies.

The ones I have been buying recently, including ones from the Butchers in Braunston have very little jelly, which he likes.

On enquiries it appears they are no longer made as the were in "days of yore."

When we lived in Buxton, I used to buy pork pies made and baked that day by the  pork butcher. They were so fresh (and hot) that they had to be carried level to stop the unset jelly from running out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

When we lived in Buxton, I used to buy pork pies made and baked that day by the  pork butcher. They were so fresh (and hot) that they had to be carried level to stop the unset jelly from running out.

A reheated pork pie is a ruined pork pie, the jelly should be solid, i appreciate a newly cooked pie isn't reheated :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

A reheated pork pie is a ruined pork pie, the jelly should be solid, i appreciate a newly cooked pie isn't reheated :)

nonsense, hot growler with proper mushy peas and ketchup is a thing of beauty! :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Look, it's obvious you are wrong and someone with no taste at all, just the mention of mushy peas prove this

 

;)

you’ve obviously only had that slop they pass off as mushy peas down south 🤣

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another triumph of CRT communications, just received an email telling that the towpath will be closed on Friday whilst they reset the lock gate. Title of the email:

 

Towpath closure notice: Coventry Canal, Navigation: Open, Towpath: Closed

 

So it seems the navigation is open even though the lock gate is absent. Perhaps they have turned it into a flash lock in the interim?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were moored at the top lock, last Friday a CRT man tapped on our boat to explain what CRT intend to do; eg bring a crane from the flat's car park that's alongside the locks (obv removing the wrought iron fence) to lift the gate. A bridge will be erected to take the crane over to the towpath side. 

 

The CRT man said they suspect the vandals were kids - but then again I suspect CRT will be insured for vandalism and perhaps not for maintenance issues.

 

We turned our boat around and left the area. Yesterday we got an email from CRT complaining we'd overstayed the Atherstone mooring ☹️

 

It would be great while they've got a crane in the area, CRT will use it to yank the now sinking abandoned cruiser out of the water by the Wharf - think it's been an eyesore there for over a year - looking to the positives.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

...The CRT man said they suspect the vandals were kids - but then again I suspect CRT will be insured for vandalism and perhaps not for maintenance issues...

 

i thought we'd established from post #34 that it wasn't the mythical vandals?

 

but i suspect your insurance idea isn't far off the mark

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.