Atherstone locks

Paul_tomlinson

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

i thought we'd established from post #34 that it wasn't the mythical vandals?

Just quoting the CRT man - don't believe it's kids either, kids usually want instant gratification when creating mischief, if it was vandals then it was preconceived. 

On 26/10/2020 at 17:30, JamesWoolcock said:

Hmmm.

Sorry,  but I'm not inclined to believe a word of it.

Just posted in another place is an boater's eye-witness account of what really happened at Atherstone 2.

"The rehanging was attempted by CaRT's own staff.  Having spent most of the morning trying to hire winches to do the job (CaRT apparently has little or no repair kit) the team leader decided to go ahead with the kit they had."

The breaking of the collar may well be as stated at #34, but the subsequent loss of the gate into the lock chamber was down to CRT and not vandalism as they have said.

I think it so very sad that an organisation on which we all depend is happy to cover up its shortcomings with lies and deceit that is so easily seen through by most of their customers. 

We all make mistakes but hopefully most of us are man enough to own up to them. Apparently the Team Leader took the blame and admitted that they really didn't have sufficient kit on site, but his bosses didn't and published a lie in the media.

James 

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo

On 28/10/2020 at 15:04, JamesWoolcock said:

Just posted in another place is an boater's eye-witness account of what really happened at Atherstone 2.

"The rehanging was attempted by CaRT's own staff.  Having spent most of the morning trying to hire winches to do the job (CaRT apparently has little or no repair kit) the team leader decided to go ahead with the kit they had."

The breaking of the collar may well be as stated at #34, but the subsequent loss of the gate into the lock chamber was down to CRT and not vandalism as they have said.

I think it so very sad that an organisation on which we all depend is happy to cover up its shortcomings with lies and deceit that is so easily seen through by most of their customers. 

We all make mistakes but hopefully most of us are man enough to own up to them. Apparently the Team Leader took the blame and admitted that they really didn't have sufficient kit on site, but his bosses didn't and published a lie in the media.

James 

Apparently there used to be a lifting frame kept there,specifically for the job.Source...my c.b. radio and a local farmer!..He was offered it when it was disposed of!..Whereabouts currently unknown!

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 15:04, JamesWoolcock said:

James 

Although this is really poor on the part of CRT I am at least glad there aren't vandals around with the knowledge and inclination to cause such specific damage to locks.

34 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Although this is really poor on the part of CRT I am at least glad there aren't vandals around with the knowledge and inclination to cause such specific damage to locks.

Well, there have been a couple of cases where a chain saw or similar was used to cut off a balance beam and others where paddle gear was damaged so the lock was not usable, not to mention the deliberate flooding that took out a complete lock on the Wolverhampton flight.  Disconnecting a collar is fairly small beer compared with those.

N