Inverter failure.

Callum4878

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

my Mastervolt 2KW inverter/charger has blown up, so I’m going to replace it with another from the same manufacturer, as it has lasted 14yrs without many issues. Decided upon a 3kw this time, just wondered if anyone had been through this process and has any words of wisdom for me, like any pitfalls in the change process, cheapest place to buy etc. I’m obviously researching it myself, but would be grateful for any useful input.

Keith

11 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Hi all, 

my Mastervolt 2KW inverter/charger has blown up, so I’m going to replace it with another from the same manufacturer, as it has lasted 14yrs without many issues. Decided upon a 3kw this time, just wondered if anyone had been through this process and has any words of wisdom for me, like any pitfalls in the change process, cheapest place to buy etc. I’m obviously researching it myself, but would be grateful for any useful input.

Keith

Probably not directly germain to your request,

BUT what are / what is your battery capacity?

The reasons may become apparent later...

20 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Hi all, 

...........would be grateful for any useful input.

Keith

You may well need to re-wire from the batteries to the inverter if they were 'wired' for 2Kw.

Having 3Kw means that you (or someone) may one day use its full capability so you need compatible cabling.

Check the size of existing wiring, but you will need something capable of carrying 300amps, and, then also take into the possibility of volt drop if the inverter is any distance from the batteries.

If your inverter is 3 metres from the batteries, running at 300amps will require 95mm2 wiring, this will give you a volt drop of 0.3 volts (2.97%) which is acceptable.

If you have only 25mm2 cable then the volt drop will be 1.23volts (10.25%) which is not acceptable.

Mastervolt 3.5Kw = £1500

https://www.cactusnav.com/mastervolt-master-12v3500w-inverter-with-outlet-wired-p-30463.html

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Battery capacity I’m not sure is the honest answer, 3 deep cycle agm’s replaced the original 4 Mastervolt, but I can’t find any capacity reference in my paperwork, will have to crawl into the compartment to check. Cable size is 70mm and the batteries are less than a metre from the inverter.

In my limited experience; If the demand is high and the inverter cannot draw the current it needs, because the cabling is too small, the inverter will shut down and 'report/signal' the batteries are not up to the job. 

Edited by Higgs

I asked about battery size, because - as I thought - 3three small batteries is just not enough to run a large inverter (whether or not it's used occasionally / not for long / whetever) and that may be the reason why the inverter failed.

Doubtless I'll be contradicted - but that's the way it goes...

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I asked about battery size, because - as I thought - 3three small batteries is just not enough to run a large inverter (whether or not it's used occasionally / not for long / whetever) and that may be the reason why the inverter failed.

I'll bite - a 3kW inverter doesn't always deliver 3kW.  If there's only a few hundred watts being demanded, that's all it will be delivering.  In this case it's making the same demands of the batteries as a smaller inverter.

I do agree that running big electrical loads off a small battery bank isn't good for them, but it's not the maximum possible inverter power rating that causes this.

14 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

1) it was 14 years old.... thats why it failed!

2) i have a 2500w inverter to run my vacuum cleaner for 10 minutes or so at a time. It runs from a bank of 3 110Ah batteries, with a depleted capacity. 300A for 15mins is 75Ah, so the bank is always able to cope from a capacity point of view. Clearly, hoovering for an hour wouldn't be sensible. I also run a lawn mower from it, no problem.

4 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Hi all, 

Keith

Might be worth giving Mastervolt (or their UK agent) a phone to see if they will offer a discount on a new one as your old one is obsolete and beyond possibly repair.

Their biggest competitor Victron do this, and will give existing customers a 25% discount against a new one.

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Might be worth giving Mastervolt (or their UK agent) a phone to see if they will offer a discount on a new one as your old one is obsolete and beyond possibly repair.

Their biggest competitor Victron do this, and will give existing customers a 25% discount against a new one.

Some years ago when my Mastervolt inverter went belly up I tried to get MV to repair it (at my expense) but all the wrinkles involved including shipping at my expense to Holland made it unviable. The best discount they would offer to replace was well beaten by a number of UK suppliers. 

I would ask myself if I really needed 3000VA.  It is a lot of load on the batteries.  The quiescent current is probably higher than a smaller one.

I've had a 1800VA Powermaster inverter for the last 13 years.  Run everything I needed including a decent vacuum cleaner, a microwave and a lawn mower.  Most electric kettles now are 1700W, but then I don't need an electric kettle.

• Greenie 2

Truth is probably not,  2kw has been fine to date, but I'm thinking it's better to have too much than just enough, and my system doesn't need any wiring upgrading. Also I'm guessing 2kw comes easier to a 3kw inverter than a 2kw, might be totally wrong in that one?

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Some years ago when my Mastervolt inverter went belly up I tried to get MV to repair it (at my expense) but all the wrinkles involved including shipping at my expense to Holland made it unviable. The best discount they would offer to replace was well beaten by a number of UK suppliers. 

Also my experience, as I recounted in another thread a few days ago.  Thoroughbred kit, but when it gets sick or injured it appears that, all too frequently, your only sensible course of action is to shoot it. ;)