Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jenevers

distance measuring App

Featured Posts

Short distance as in feet or long distance as in miles?

Google maps has a reasonable distance tool if you want miles.

Edited by Loddon

38 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Short distance as in feet or long distance as in miles?

Google maps has a reasonable distance tool if you want miles.

Metres!🤭

Still confused about what you want to do?  Do you want to measure metres on a map?  Or do you want to measure the width of a room, say?  What device and operating system do you have?

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Still confused about what you want to do?  Do you want to measure metres on a map?  Or do you want to measure the width of a room, say?  What device and operating system do you have?

The width of the canal. Android phone🙂

Just now, jenevers said:

The width of the canal. Android phone🙂

Then you don't need an app as such.  Go to google maps.  Turn on satellite view.  Use the measuring tool to measure from one side to the other.  I can't see any more accurate method without a tape measure.

image.png.35541a82c51d286a2d6f2da19624c194.png

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Then you don't need an app as such.  Go to google maps.  Turn on satellite view.  Use the measuring tool to measure from one side to the other.  I can't see any more accurate method without a tape measure.

Perfect👍

I used Google Earth once to measure canal width to see where I could turn my 55ft boat to save a lengthy return trip, although you can not tell if you can use the full width. Probably uses the same images and measuring as Google Maps.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

I used Google Earth once to measure canal width to see where I could turn my 55ft boat to save a lengthy return trip, although you can not tell if you can use the full width. Probably uses the same images and measuring as Google Maps.

Handy for showing tne width, but a shame it doesn't show the depth. 😁

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Handy for showing tne width, but a shame it doesn't show the depth. 😁

You need Google Marine for that. It’s not been launched yet but don’t think some bright young thing hasn't thought of it...

Edited by WotEver
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PeterF said:

Probably uses the same images and measuring as Google Maps.

Google earth regularly updates images and you can look at them all through the history button. Great for seeing how an area has changed. Some areas have images from 1945.

5 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Google earth regularly updates images and you can look at them all through the history button. Great for seeing how an area has changed. Some areas have images from 1945.

Imagine the effort that must go into wrapping all that onto a sphere and blending all the edges seamlessly together, instead of just showing it flat like it really is :D

if its distance you have travelled you could use the app Strava  used for cycling running and walking

it will also show you the profile of your route

5 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

If you are using Google Earth click the planet icon in the tool bar and you can pick from google moon, google sky and google mars.

Just how far do you think the OP is travelling? :blink::wacko:

If you want to know distance travelled, Nicholsons has 'lollipop' for every mile of canal.

If you cruise long days, you may need to take off your socks and shoes so you can use your toes as well as your fingers.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you want to know distance travelled, Nicholsons has 'lollipop' for every mile of canal.

If you cruise long days, you may need to take off your socks and shoes so you can use your toes as well as your fingers.

and Jake the Peg can count up to 25...

21 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

If you are using Google Earth click the planet icon in the tool bar and you can pick from google moon, google sky and google mars.

Where can I get a Nichollson's Guide to the Canals of Mars? 🤔

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

You could try the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs there may be a guide in his Mars series.

On 09/09/2020 at 12:46, doratheexplorer said:

Where is the measuring tool on Google maps?

11 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Where is the measuring tool on Google maps?

Depends what device you're using.  The easiest way is with a laptop.  Right click anywhere on the map and a menu will appear.  One of the choices is the measuring tool.

On my phone you press and hold to drop a pin, then pull up the menu which appears at the bottom and choose 'measure distance'

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

i'll sell you one ;)

Nicholsons 9.jpg

• Greenie 4