BANG and boat stopped

LadyG

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

^^^^^^^^

This is the best suggestion yet.

I don't know, I suppose they [CRT] could send a diver, or a very small but incredibly strong man to access via weedhatch. I have considered enlarging the access hatch ......

I dd not envisage this scenario......

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But in cold water there is no 'ouch', & you don't realise what you've done until the water starts to turn pink.

And then the sharks get yer!

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know, I suppose they could send a diver, or a very small but incredibly strong man to access via weedhatch. I have considered enlarging the access hatch ......

I am afraid it's a fact of boating life, in recent memory I cant remember a trip where I haven't had something wrapped around the prop, it's one of the reasons I wont have trad stern with its poor weedhatch access.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Chooglin said:

Surly the bang is just the engine stalling and coming to a sudden stop .. I’m no expert on anything on boats but surely the clutch would slip long before anything els in the engine was likely to break? Just a thought 

There is no clutch, in the motor car sense, on boats.

Bod.

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't know, I suppose they [CRT] could send a diver, or a very small but incredibly strong man to access via weedhatch. I have considered enlarging the access hatch ......

CRT won't send anyone. It is your boat, your problem not theirs!

RCR are your best bet. This won't be the last time you get something wrapped around the prop.

Other option is there is a local dive team who may for a donation come and free it off. Several boats have used them in Brayford Pool to remove detritus from the props.

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s probably too wet to sleep on...

I tried, and failed, to respond with my renowned dry wit to Goliaths suggestion!

Edited by LadyG

Not much help now, but maybe worth considering for the future @LadyG

When I bought my boat it came fitted with a "Prop Protector", a kind of circular saw which clamps onto the prop shaft between the hull and the prop.

In the 6.5 years I have had the boat I have only had to go down the weedhatch to remove stuck debris once, and that was when I picked up a full size cratch cover on the prop. 

Previously with 22 years of shareboats, and 20 years of hiring visiting the weedhatch was a common occurrence.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not much help now, but maybe worth considering for the future @LadyG

When I bought my boat it came fitted with a "Prop Protector", a kind of circular saw which clamps onto the prop shaft between the hull and the prop.

In the 6.5 years I have had the boat I have only had to go down the weedhatch to remove stuck debris once, and that was when I picked up a full size cratch cover on the prop. 

Previously with 22 years of shareboats, and 20 years of hiring visiting the weedhatch was a common occurrence.

I wondered how good they were, Is yours the finger type one

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wondered how good they were, Is yours the finger type one

Not sure what you mean by finger type one. It is a circular serrated blade, which fits over the prop shaft.

You do have to be careful when putting your hands down the weedhatch as it is quite sharp. However I've not lost any fingers yet whilst feeling for things wrapped around the prop. 

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But in cold water there is no 'ouch', & you don't realise what you've done until the water starts to turn pink.

Have a bucket of warm water handy,and keep dipping your hand .Worked ok for me.

A tip I got from another boater,although I hav'nt tried it,is to pour a bucket of hot water down the weedhatch prior to inserting your mitt.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not sure what you mean by finger type one. It is a circular serrated blade, which fits over the prop shaft.

You do have to be careful when putting your hands down the weedhatch as it is quite sharp. However I've not lost any fingers yet whilst feeling for things wrapped around the prop. 

A sort of windmill blade attached to the shaft that rubs against another?  I think some are just very sharp clamp on disks but never seen a live one.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A sort of windmill blade attached to the shaft that rubs against another?  I think some are just very sharp clamp on disks but never seen a live one.

Mine is one of these.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/prop-protector

I thought it was a gimmick at first, but so far the only thing that has defeated it has been a canvas cratch cover and that wasnt even on the BCN ?

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Mine is one of these.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/prop-protector

I thought it was a gimmick at first, but so far the only thing that has defeated it has been a canvas cratch cover and that wasnt even on the BCN ?

I wondered if it was one of these when I said windmill type.https://www.ropestripper.com/

Major progress tonight when @Noddyboater of this parish arrived with a massive prop clearing weapon ..... still a bit to work on, I should manage the rest.

cc ...... I'm more or less *cm!

*cm = continuous mooring

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Major progress tonight when @Noddyboater of this parish arrived with a massive prop clearing weapon ..... still a bit to work on, I should manage the rest.

cc ...... I'm more or less *cm!

*cm = continuous mooring

Correct terminology is "CMer" but you were close.

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Have a bucket of warm water handy,and keep dipping your hand .Worked ok for me.

A tip I got from another boater,although I hav'nt tried it,is to pour a bucket of hot water down the weedhatch prior to inserting your mitt.

I always pour a kettle full of boiling water down the weedhatch in winter before putting my hands down there. Works well and SWMBO can refill and boil the kettle continuously for longer weedhatch jobs.

It's not cold, and easier in daylight, two hours on, wash, two hours off, repeat....

a weedcutter is a possibility, but boat not due out for a year ...... I really want to do rivers in summer, ie when not in flood!

Let's see how it goes over winter ...... fire on yesterday, very cosy :)

Edited by LadyG