BANG and boat stopped

LadyG

Featured Posts

EUREKA

Took it off with aid of saws, knives, shears, etc., etc, then hammer and chisel. Gear works  but it is noisier [gearbox?] when being engaged, we are moving!

Got to first lock, bloomin  fisherpeople sitting on the bollards, and not moving, they've gone now ....... bloody cheek, I've kicked the remains of the 'bait' into canal.....

Cup of tea now ......

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

EUREKA

Took it off with aid of saws, knives, shears, etc., etc, then hammer and chisel. Gear works  but it is noisier [gearbox?] when being engaged, we are moving!

Got to first lock, bloomin  fisherpeople sitting on the bollards, and not moving, they've gone now ....... bloody cheek, I've kicked the remains of the 'bait' into canal.....

Cup of tea now ......

You may find that the alignment of the shaft and engine/gearbox has been knocked out of line, worth checking in case it wears the stern bearing out prematurely.

On 23/08/2020 at 15:11, dmr said:

Big prop fouls can stop the engine with a big bang so its most likely nothing to worry about. I find removing stuff via the weedhatch to be the best approach, usually rotating the prop a bit each way by hand can really help, also try to work out (by feel) how stuff has got tangled round the prop and suitably untangle it. If your boat is one of those where the engine is fixed on with rubber engine mounts then it might be worth checking that the mounts are all intact.

..................Dave

lets hope it's mounts [I can cope] and not something in gearbox, I'm going forwards, and reverse works......

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Got to first lock, bloomin  fisherpeople sitting on the bollards, and not moving, they've gone now

Use the lock landing.  It's for boats not anglers.

The CRT Waterways Wanderer licence and the T&C's for club managed waters prohibit fishing within 25m of a lock, so they shouldn't be there.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

EUREKA

Cup of tea now ......

Glad you managed to clear it eventually, it seems like some public thanks to Noddyboater for his help with the "massive prop clearing weapon" might be an idea?   

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

His massive prop clearing weapon was noted earlier in the thread. 

Indeed but with no thanks, I'm sure Lady G must have thanked him in person for coming to her call for help and with his "massive prop clearing weapon", just might be nice to acknowledge it with thanks here too...but then thats just me. 

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Indeed but with no thanks, I'm sure Lady G must have thanked him in person for coming to her call for help and with his "massive prop clearing weapon", just might be nice to acknowledge it with thanks here too...but then thats just me. 

I read it that Lady G thanked him. 

Bit maybe Lady G didn’t shout it loud enough. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You may find that the alignment of the shaft and engine/gearbox has been knocked out of line, worth checking in case it wears the stern bearing out prematurely.

It's possible, certainly not apparent visually, but with my luck this week ......

I'm absolutely shattered, moored up in the forest, very quiet, target for tomorrow ...... CRT Services!

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

EUREKA

Cup of tea now ......

What fishermen they arnt allowed there so just go in and moor simples

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What fishermen they arnt allowed there so just go in and moor simples

I don't think they were legal anglers , non of the usual paraphanalia and using a loaf of sliced  bread for bait , lol

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

His massive prop clearing weapon was noted earlier in the thread. 

@noddyboater has been absolutely wonderful, not just with the time spent down the weedhatch, but also earlier when we met by chance when I moored at Noddy Towers. Seems like a lot of water has run through the canal since then, but it's only two weeks!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 3

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't think they were legal anglers , non of the usual paraphanalia and using a loaf of sliced  bread for bait , lol

If they're like the local 'anglers' round Wolverhampton, you can't say anything they'll understand as they don't speak English. Even the warning notices are printed in eastern european languages.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fishing with bread, probably after carp to extend the larder. East Europeans seem to think they are there for the taking.

I used to fish with bread all the time, caught bream, carp, roach, dace, it's a very versatile bait

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I used to fish with bread all the time, caught bream, carp, roach, dace, it's a very versatile bait

I didn't want to burst LGs bubble  Ken next door uses it when fishing off his boat. Doesn't do it much now as it's to easy, we are always feeding swans and ducks so the fish get the sinking or floating bread sometimes.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

If they're like the local 'anglers' round Wolverhampton, you can't say anything they'll understand as they don't speak English. Even the warning notices are printed in eastern european languages.

I can't understand the locals round here let alone eastern europeans 

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fishing with bread, probably after carp to extend the larder. East Europeans seem to think they are there for the taking.

They were English locals, it was an angling club area,, I asked one of them if he was sitting on a. Bollard, cos it seemed to me there should be one exactly where he was, I then  moved the load of bread out if the way and tied up ,. they left the area ,,,,,,, 

I don't think Carp would stay at a lock , too much turbulence I am no expert  ....

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They were ENGLISH, I asked one of he was suiting on a. Bollard, cos it seemed to me there should be one exactly where he was, I then  moved the load of bread so out if the way ,. they left the area ,,,,,,, 

I don't think Carl would stay at a lock to begineat, too much turbulence I am no expert  ....

Birthday Laphroaig?  Hope you had a good day. Many other good wishes for you on TB. 

Edited by Chagall
whisky spelling!