Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
soforene

Lockdown !!!

Featured Posts

Lockies at Foxton this morning think a shut down is coming big meeting at HQ going on as we were speaking. So having got milk and bread at the shop went back to Debdale marina. Couldnt get online shopping so had to take boat to shop. lol

stay safe and it will be over sometime, when is the milion $ question..

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My  mooring is within a mile of a major motorway and not far from several main routes in to the city centre. Usually weekdays there is a steady hum of traffic noise. This morning it is quieter than a Sunday. One single aeroplane contrail overhead, where usually there are half a dozen or more visible in a clear sky. A bit like a combination of the tanker drivers strike of 2000 and the days after September 11th 2001.

 

Jen

Roads in Brum definitely quiet, it's almost pleasant to drive around the city at the moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Roads in Brum definitely quiet, it's almost pleasant to drive around the city at the moment 

Are you drunk? ;)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Roads in Brum definitely quiet, it's almost pleasant to drive around out of the city at the moment 

Fixed that for you.

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

All those flights still spreading the virus.

 

A significant number of the international flights will be cargo only. Another significant number will be repatriating people. 

6 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Just had a lovely drive through New Forest, 20mph and just a few cars, Idyllic. 

 

Shopping trip or key worker going to/from work?

There is no other reason for driving about, is there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Are you drunk? ;)

I did say almost

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Fixed that for you.

That always improves my day

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roads no quieter business as normal on my walk to the allotment,  Boris will have a hissy fit and the idiots will be to blame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems some are hard of thinking on here.

What is so difficult to understand about staying at home?

If you have to ask if your job is essential, it isn't.

If you are retired there is no excuse

Stay at home. Stop procrastinating and JFDI.

 

 

  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It seems some are hard of thinking on here.

What is so difficult to understand about staying at home?

 

It's human nature, rules are for everyone else, not me.

 

It is why they clamped down so hard in Wuhan I suspect, everyone had a reason to go out that was very important to them. Same is coming here, once the govt realise just how many people are still travelling about doing non-essential stuff. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

It's human nature, rules are for everyone else, not me.

I have to admit we have been at home for a couple of weeks only going out when we have to get food.

That's fine,  been busy and jobs being done. Being told to stay at home last night somewhat grates but we will carry on as we have been.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Shopping trip or key worker going to/from work?

There is no other reason for driving about, is there?

Getting a tired and fractious 2 year old to sleep, it worked a treat and he's now playing happily in our garden. He's in a strange situation at present. 

 

That's my reason so take it or leave it. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Roads in Brum definitely quiet, it's almost pleasant to drive around the city at the moment 

Presumably it was an essential journey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I have to admit we have been at home for a couple of weeks only going out when we have to get food.

That's fine,  been busy and jobs being done. Being told to stay at home last night somewhat grates but we will carry on as we have been.

 

 

The other thing is, explanations for the rules are not forthcoming. We are just being told what to do.

 

People on here still writing about travelling around don't seem to understand the reasons not to.

 

Same with hand-washing. When they first started telling us to do this, I had no idea why, exactly. I didn't know the virus could live on surfaces for three days, and could be picked up from those surfaces at any time during those three days. I still don't think most people understand this.

 

Point being, if the gov't told us the reasons behind the rules, a lot more people would understand and comply, I suspect.

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit
  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I would think it is a case of seeing if people abide by the rules and if they don’t then there will have to be measures used to enforce that, just as will be the case off the waterways.

By which you mean use of boats for leisure? Which would/should result in police action. No reason for CRT to really get involved other than for purposes of licence identification/details. Certainly the punishment is not going to be denying other uninvolved boaters access to water etc by padlocking gates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

Getting a tired and fractious 2 year old to sleep, it worked a treat and he's now playing happily in our garden. He's in a strange situation at present. 

 

That's my reason so take it or leave it. 

To be fair if u r locked away with yer other arf and get in the car for an anti insanity drive u ain't gonna pollute anyone in the real world. And a bonus is you might find homebase is open with 6 customers in so no need to get within 20 metres of each other and a boot full of compost and other stuff to keep sanity 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

The other thing is, explanations for the rules are not forthcoming. We are just being told what to do.

 

People on here still writing about travelling around don't seem to understand the reasons not to.

 

Same with hand-washing. When they first started telling us to do this, I had no idea why, exactly. I didn't know the virus could live on surfaces for three days, and could be picked up from those surfaces at any time during those three days. I still don't think most people understand this.

 

 

The information coming from the government (and politicians generally) has been vague, inadequate and contradictory from day one.  At some point this will all get picked over and I suspect Boris will come out very poorly.  Lots of room for various interpretations of advice which allows selfish people to pick the interpretation which suits them best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

To be fair if u r locked away with yer other arf and get in the car for an anti insanity drive u ain't gonna pollute anyone in the real world. And a bonus is you might find homebase is open with 6 customers in so no need to get within 20 metres of each other and a boot full of compost and other stuff to keep sanity 👍

 

Let's assume you are however, incubating COVID-19 but have no symptoms yet, like a lot of people currently are. 

 

Everything you touch in Homebase will be infectious for three days, so anyone else touching it after you will pick up the virus. Even those 20m away from you. On the other hand, the bag of compost you're buying may have been put out by an employee currently incubating the virus, and now you're covered in it having picked up the bag after he/she handled it.

 

And don't even think about all the £20 notes in your pocket, and how many CV-19 positive people have handled those....

 

Life's a gamble, but this is one you don't need to be taking. 

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It seems some are hard of thinking on here.

What is so difficult to understand about staying at home?

If you have to ask if your job is essential, it isn't.

If you are retired there is no excuse

Stay at home. Stop procrastinating and JFDI.

 

 

You are still allowed out for exercise and I could imagine in some people's situations making a short drive to somewhere they can walk without meeting others more sensible than from the front door on what maybe a busy pavement. 

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Let's assume you are however, incubating COVID-19 but have no symptoms yet, like a lot of people currently are. 

 

Everything you touch in Homebase will be infectious for three days, so anyone else touching it after you will pick up the virus. Even those 20m away from you. On the other hand, the bag of compost may have been put out by an employee currently incubating the virus, and now you're covered in it having picked up the bag after he/she handled it.

 

And don't even think about all the £20 notes in your pocket, and how many CV-19 positive people have handled those....

 

 

 

I could also have been involved in a car crash also I spose 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

To be fair if u r locked away with yer other arf and get in the car for an anti insanity drive u ain't gonna pollute anyone in the real world. And a bonus is you might find homebase is open with 6 customers in so no need to get within 20 metres of each other and a boot full of compost and other stuff to keep sanity 👍

 

Can't  you just pop around to @peterboat's for some compost? 😁🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Presumably it was an essential journey?

Currently classed as key worker, so at work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

I see what you are saying, but you are working from a mistaken assumption - CRT have to do what they are told by the government. 

 

They are not planning the schedule on this, so can't give notice they haven't had themselves, and all the decrees coming out of Downing street have all been "with immediate effect".

 

There will be a selection of contingency plans at CRT towers that cover all the likely restrictions, and as they get dusted off and used we will learn what is in them. 

 

I guarantee you that one of those plans involves shutting locks, because they already do this eg in the droughts over the last couple of years.  Up on the Northern canals they removed paddle gear from locks to defeat the numpty boaters who were cutting padlocks off and carrying on moving.

I dont think you are reading my posts correctly or else im not explaining myself well. I also sincerely doubt CRT are getting any special advice from gov't. They will be left to interpret the advice and orders as best as the rest of us. I also doubt they have any kind of contingency plan for this situation. It's nothing like a drought. And for the third time I dont doubt there may be closures of certain infrastructure, in particular staff intensive ones that aren't crucial for access to facilities. Like Caen hill, Watford, various longer tunnels...all i was asking was that CRT share this as soon as they know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.