Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Please stop using the term lockdown. Nobody is locked down.

Considering the word has now become generic I doubt that peeps will stop using it. As a word it fails my spell checker so its a made up word that is probably not in the Uxbridge Dict. Have you got any suggestions for a different suitable expression that might be more apt to the situation?. If so the you might have to sell it to the MSM

Perhaps some clever dick on here can come up with an acronym thats apt for boaters but expresses the sentiment. All ideas on  a post card please.

BTW, I suppose you have sussed out the name of this thread?

Edited by markeymark
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, markeymark said:

If I remember rightly its by the Waterside Inn ( ex Royal Oak) about 500 metres from the top lock.

How difficult would it be to reverse that far? I would probably quite enjoy the challenge, although maybe not in a 70ft boat.

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've been to a small B & Q today, also Screwfix, both [?same company?] have strict procedures, but is S/fix someone was leafing thru a catalogue with bare hands. They have to be told. DO NOT TOUCH COMMUNAL THINGS WITH BARE HANDS

Screwfix are now click and collect only. They changed today to that system. Shorter opening hours too. 

6 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Considering the word has now become generic I doubt that peeps will stop using it. As a word it fails my spell checker so its a made up word that is probably not in the Uxbridge Dict. Have you got any suggestions for a different suitable expression that might be more apt to the situation?. If so the you might have to sell it to the MSM

Perhaps some clever dick on here can come up with an acronym thats apt for boaters but expresses the sentiment. All ideas on  a post card please.

BTW, I suppose you have sussed out the name of this thread?

Sorry, just makes me cringe, every time I hear it. Anyway, if we see the public being manipulated through hyperbole I feel it's my duty to call it out. 

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Screwfix are now click and collect only. They changed today to that system. Shorter opening hours too. 

I was there at 2.00 pm, it was turn up and buy.

No masks for sale.

I bought safety glasses, any infected aerosol on those sensitive tissues, is bad news.

Edited by LadyG

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

We don't look to be particularly well prepared for this:

Total hospital beds per 1000 population:

Capture1.PNG.b159cf51ebb5eb52b542c67f5d61a0af.PNG

Acute hospital beds per 1000 population:

Capture2.PNG.ea7d8ea8b0ded77569acd206c43f8d8d.PNG

Source: https://data.oecd.org/healtheqt/hospital-beds.htm

What's the difference between an acute hospital bed, and one that is not acute? I'm pretty clear on the former, but not so sure what the latter is?

Just now, Richard10002 said:

How difficult would it be to reverse that far? I would probably quite enjoy the challenge, although maybe not in a 70ft boat.

Cool, I'm on a 55 footer so I'ĺl let you know when you can come over and reverse it for me. Nice one !

If you are not up for it you could still carry the cassette a mile for me ...another challenge.Thanks.

However I can only pay 'minimum wage 'at the moment unless you are on Universal credit and if so you will have to do it for free under the guise of 'looking for work´

What's the difference between an acute hospital bed, and one that is not acute? I'm pretty clear on the former, but not so sure what the latter is?

I’d have thought the latter is just a bed in a ward, not in ICU. 

On the other hand perhaps acute hospital bed is one with false eyelashes and a winning smile....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've been to a small B & Q today, also Screwfix, both [?same company?] have strict procedures, but is S/fix someone was leafing thru a catalogue with bare hands. They have to be told. DO NOT TOUCH COMMUNAL THINGS WITH BARE HANDS

Doesn't that rather complicate married life in bed ?

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Acute means active "nursing" to aid recovery.

But most time I have spent in hospital, I am on recovery/observation/rest.

5 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Doesn't that rather complicate married life in bed ?

I can't remember, seem to remember sleeping on the edge to make zzzzzzzzzzzzzzsurezzzzzzzzzzzzzzwell lets notzzzzzzzzz.........go in to detail......................it ended, badly...

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Cool, I'm on a 55 footer so I'ĺl let you know when you can come over and reverse it for me. Nice one !

:) If not too far away, I would do so happily under normal times.

4 minutes ago, markeymark said:

If you are not up for it you could still carry the cassette a mile for me ...another challenge.Thanks.

It did cross my mind that you could motor to the winding hole, then put the cassette on your trolley thing for the half kilometre trek. If you havent got a trolley thing, you could see if someone nearby has got one. Or even someone with a car who would drive you there? I'm sure emptying your bog would be seen as essential.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

:) If not too far away, I would do so happily under normal times.

It did cross my mind that you could motor to the winding hole, then put the cassette on your trolley thing for the half kilometre trek. If you havent got a trolley thing, you could see if someone nearby has got one. Or even someone with a car who would drive you there? I'm sure emptying your bog would be seen as essential.

asking some random stranger for a lift to the Elsan ................. wtg..............?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’d have thought the latter is just a bed in a ward, not in ICU. 

On the other hand perhaps acute hospital bed is one with false eyelashes and a winning smile....

no.... it seems that an acute bed is what you and I might consider to be a normal hospital bed, where you go to recover from something like surgery or trauma.... not necessarily ICU.

Non acute seems to be of a maintenance type, but I cant think of any hospitals where the beds aren't acute.

Having said that, from the graphs, we seem to have about 2.4 beds per '000 total population, and about 2.1 of these are acute, so non acute beds are not common here.

47 minutes ago, LadyG said:

But do you know what they have been touching with their gloves?

Latest from CRT - 14 day movement suspended.

View this email in your browser
e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus and boating update 

Hello David,

Following the most recent announcement from the Prime Minister regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel. As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them. We will continue to maintain boater facilities and pump out cards are available from our online shop. (We will be urgently reviewing the implications for face-to-face sale of pump out cards and facilities keys from our public offices). 

Please click here for the latest updates to our Frequently Asked Questions and up to date advice on where to get support.

Colleagues whose roles are critical to the safe management of the waterways, for example those managing water levels, those carrying out statutory inspections of canal structures, ensuring essential facilities for boaters are available etc will continue their day to day work. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over. We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and guidance.

Thank you for your patience and forbearance and please stay safe during these unprecedented times.

Richard Parry
Chief Executive
Canal & River Trust

color-facebook-48.png
color-link-48.png

Copyright © 2020 Canal & River Trust, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you either opted in at our website or purchased a boat licence from us.

Our mailing address is:
Canal & River Trust
Fearns Wharf
Neptune Street
Leeds, West Yorkshire LS9 8PB
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

open.php?u=936676c6b0ead7474e5c5ff70&id=9ed42fdd13&e=a5a9c71814
Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

Just now, LadyG said:

asking some random stranger for a lift to the Elsan ................. wtg..............?

:) The guy is struggling, and there are few things worse than all 3 cassettes being full when you need one. As long as hand washing takes place, and they dont get too close to each other, and nobody coughs or sneezes, they should be fine.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Non acute seems to be of a maintenance type, but I cant think of any hospitals where the beds aren't acute.

My sister was in one after breaking her thigh, Transferred from The Norfolk & Norwich hospital to the West Norwich Hospital until she was fit to go home, about a week I think it was.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But do you know what they have been touching with their gloves?

The human skin, esp fingers is ideal environment for transfer from one person to another, just think about some kiddie eating a peanut jelly sandwich, then rushing up to hold your hand.... sticky, very sticky.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

The human skin, esp fingers is ideal environment for transfercdrom one to another, just think about some kiddie eating a peanut jelly sandwich, then rushinig up to hold your hand.

Just think of a mechanic shaking your hand after doing an oil change with his gloves still on

Edited by ditchcrawler

:) The guy is struggling, and there are few things worse than all 3 cassettes being full when you need one. As long as hand washing takes place, and they dont get too close to each other, and nobody coughs or sneezes, they should be fine.

Its fine , honest. I will sort it by going to Braunston instead...silly me. Thanks anyway

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Acute care beds are beds accommodating patients where the principal clinical intent is to do one or more of the following:

- manage labour (obstetric)
- cure illness or provide definitive treatment of injury
- perform surgery
- relieve symptoms of illness or injury (excluding palliative care)
- reduce severity of illness or injury
- protect against exacerbation and/or complication of an illness and/or injury which could threaten life or normal functions
- perform diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.

Long-term care beds in hospitals are hospital beds accommodating patients requiring long-term care due to chronic impairments and a reduced degree of independence in activities of daily living.

Inclusion:

- Beds in long-term care departments of general hospitals
- Beds for long-term care in specialty (other than mental health and substance abuse) hospitals
- Beds for palliative care

Exclusion:

- Beds in mental health and substance abuse hospitals
- Beds for rehabilitation.

(https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=5)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Latest from CRT - 14 day movement suspended.

View this email in your browser
e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus and boating update 

Hello David,

Following the most recent announcement from the Prime Minister regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, we are asking leisure boaters to stop all non-essential travel. As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure at least a minimal amount of essential movement is maintained to keep vital boater facilities and services accessible to those that need them. We will continue to maintain boater facilities and pump out cards are available from our online shop. (We will be urgently reviewing the implications for face-to-face sale of pump out cards and facilities keys from our public offices). 

Please click here for the latest updates to our Frequently Asked Questions and up to date advice on where to get support.

Colleagues whose roles are critical to the safe management of the waterways, for example those managing water levels, those carrying out statutory inspections of canal structures, ensuring essential facilities for boaters are available etc will continue their day to day work. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over. We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and guidance.

Thank you for your patience and forbearance and please stay safe during these unprecedented times.

Richard Parry
Chief Executive
Canal & River Trust

color-facebook-48.png
color-link-48.png

Copyright © 2020 Canal & River Trust, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you either opted in at our website or purchased a boat licence from us.

Our mailing address is:
Canal & River Trust
Fearns Wharf
Neptune Street
Leeds, West Yorkshire LS9 8PB
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

open.php?u=936676c6b0ead7474e5c5ff70&id=9ed42fdd13&e=a5a9c71814

Based on that, I can't see why live-aboard CCers like us can't continue to move. The canals will be open and maintained and no locks shut. We're staying at home because our home is moving with us, and if the local population is allowed to jog on the towpath for their daily exercise, then I can't see why I'm not allowed to get my daily exercise winding a few locks. Sharing wide locks is out, but I doubt water shortages are going to be a problem, and it's going to be so quiet that finding another boat to share with will be nearly impossible.

MP.