Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Would it be OK to go fishing:

a/ sat on the cruiser deck of my boat

b/ sat on a chair on the towpath nearby?

It's giving essential swimming lessons to worms so should be OK? 

2 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

No to both. The season for coarse fishing is closed for the next 3 months. 

16 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

By which you mean use of boats for leisure? Which would/should result in police action. No reason for CRT to really get involved other than for purposes of licence identification/details. Certainly the punishment is not going to be denying other uninvolved boaters access to water etc by padlocking gates.

I was talking about the government rules, they apply to everyone.  If people are ignoring them then CRT will have to take action or they would be culpable.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Only on rivers. In any case; I'd suggest trivial regulations such as this are shelved for the time being, realistically.

I agree. My lad is peeved as he has his own fishing rights on the river at his pub and he can't fish it at present. I think he is going to ask the question ?

10 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

As long as you stay at least 2 metres away from the fish...

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ah. So to go fishing would be to skate around the rules.

• Greenie 1

Remember it's not just older people getting the virus.

Just a thought, if anyone's hunkering down miles from anywhere, think about mooring near a road, saving the possibility of poor paramedics needing to trog for long distances with heavy machine packs on their backs to rescue you. Those packs are flaming heavy. Also worth taking a note of 'Just 3 words' directions. I expect sanny and water points are mainly near a road. 

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree. My lad is peeved as he has his own fishing rights on the river at his pub and he can't fish it at present. I think he is going to ask the question ?

I don't think there's any possibility of the regulations being changed. I mean, it's a pretty low priority, right? My angle (no pun intended) is that nobody is going to care less whether the season is open or closed. Bigger fish to fry. I think it would be OK to just do it, from the perspective of seasons. What I'm not sure of; you're only supposed to be outside for exercise etc. it would be quite difficult to 'sell' fishing as being an exercise.

Plenty of people talking about being in their gardens. I equate the cruiser deck of my boat as being my garden. There are plants there as well. This should be OK. If I were to sit a metre away on the bank though, I'm outside, not exercising, not travelling for essential work or supplies. So, this could be interpreted as being outside the scope of current allowable activities. Common sense says it's OK, you're not near anyone, but common sense doesn't always win the day. 

32 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

You are still allowed out for exercise and I could imagine in some people's situations making a short drive to somewhere they can walk without meeting others more sensible than from the front door on what maybe a busy pavement. 

No one needs to exercise, you wont die if you don't, might die if you go out.

if you have a 7ftx3ft space you can get all the exercise you need.

For those that remember, Down, Back, Forward,  Up, or do sit-ups, press-ups, running on the spot, how it used to be done.

Its just people looking for excuses.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have they changed the rules again? Close season on still waters (canals and lakes) was abandoned 20+years ago

We're getting quite a few walkers going past our boat. We've shut the windows, and drawn the curtains on the towpath side. Luckily the sun is streaming through from the canal side.

Update: 8.30am Tuesday 24 March

Whilst our towpaths remain open, use of them should now be limited.

If our canals and rivers are local to you, and you use the towpath for your daily exercise or journey to undertake essential work, please now avoid any stretches with boats moored against the towpath, and strictly observe social distancing at all times, following the latest advice from Government.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Rivers and some canals plus SSIs. 

So most canals and lakes are not covered as I said. 

I fought long and hard against the removal of the close season on canals even getting a written guarantee from the then Chairman of BW that it wouldn't happen under his watch. Guess what, he lied.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So most canals and lakes are not covered as I said. 

I fought long and hard against the removal of the close season on canals even getting a written guarantee from the then Chairman of BW that it wouldn't happen under his watch. Guess what, he lied.

As a brat I always understood the closed season was to allow the fish stocks to spawn undisturbed by getting caught by anglists. 

Do fish not spawn in canals, or is the above a load of old pollocks? Just wondering...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As a brat I always understood the closed season was to allow the fish stocks to spawn undisturbed by getting caught by anglists. 

Do fish not spawn in canals, or is the above a load of old pollocks? Just wondering...

They spawn fine in the canals, have you never heard them getting jiggy in the spring, I'm with Lodden here as well daft thing to do remove to close season

Just now, tree monkey said:

They spawn fine in the canals, have you never heard them getting jiggy in the spring, I'm with Lodden here as well daft thing to do remove to close season

Thought as much. 

So how come the close season doesn't apply on most canals? What's the rationale, anyone?