Side fender retainers

Galilee

Featured Posts

What is the best thing to use for keeping side fenders up on the gunwales when they're not in use? I was thinking some sort of stainless steel stick on hook (these for example) to tuck them behind, but is there a more elegant solution? I'd rather not have to drill and tap the hull to be honest...

Thanks, Stuart.

I'd be wary of anything on the gunwale that you risk tripping over when moving down the side of the boat. Too easy to end up in the drink. What sort of roof handrail do you have? Hooks, or tied on with longer cords to the handrail mean the fenders can be put on the roof when cruising, out of the way. I only use fenders when mooring up. The rest of the time they are out of the way.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'd be wary of anything on the gunwale that you risk tripping over when moving down the side of the boat. Too easy to end up in the drink. What sort of roof handrail do you have? Hooks, or tied on with longer cords to the handrail mean the fenders can be put on the roof when cruising, out of the way. I only use fenders when mooring up. The rest of the time they are out of the way.

Jen

image.png.ed63da829accad79968dcd5de95f09b6.png

There's a roof rail, but the eyelets for the fenders are on the gunwales. The fenders are knackered so I am going to replace them this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Galilee said:

There's a roof rail, but the eyelets for the fenders are on the gunwales. The fenders are knackered so I am going to replace them this weekend.

I would suggest you forget the fender fixing points and put longer lines on the fenders so you can just tie them to the handrail. I find that when I moor I have to move my fenders back and forth to be on the bumps of the piling. I would hate to have them stuck in one spot, sometimes they are almost halfway along the boat.

• Greenie 1

What about putting longer rope on your fenders and hanging them from the roof rail? The below gunwale things for attaching fenders must be tricky to get at and I can see why you put the fenders on the gunwale when under way. With them tied to the roof rail it is easy to lift them.

Haggis

I type too slowly ? great minds think alike!

Edited by haggis

8 minutes ago, Galilee said:

I've got similar eyelets on my boat. I've seriously considered grinding them off as they are a trip hazard and nearly sunk the boat once when one caught on a projection in a lock. Why not use the roof rail and longer lines to the fenders when moored up? Throw them on the roof when under way. "Problem" solved.

Jen

21 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've got similar eyelets on my boat. I've seriously considered grinding them off as they are a trip hazard and nearly sunk the boat once when one caught on a projection in a lock. Why not use the roof rail and longer lines to the fenders when moored up? Throw them on the roof when under way. "Problem" solved.

Jen

If anyone needs a side mounting fender eye, I left one in Hurleston bottom lock. Just needs finding and welding on.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I use a longer line with hooks to the handrail.  I've also made blocks of wood with holes in to make the length of line adjustable like that seen on tent guy ropes (don't know what they call those things, but basically a flat bar with two holes in).

ETA:  I never travel with fenders down, just put them on the roof if likely to need them later.  As for resting fenders on the gunwale ...

Edited by dor

I agree with the above : use the roof rail, and forget about the gunwale level mountings.

Added advantage ha the fenders can be positioned where they are wanted/needed instead of only at a mounting point.

49 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I agree with the above : use the roof rail, and forget about the gunwale level mountings.

Added advantage ha the fenders can be positioned where they are wanted/needed instead of only at a mounting point.

Yes that's exactly what we do.

2 hours ago, Galilee said:

Those rubber tubes are next to useless. Replace them with 2 or 3 rope fenders, with ropes which are long enough to tie to the roof handrail. Rope fenders are fatter and will do a better job of keeping the boat away from an irregular bank. Deploy them only when mooring, and then only on the bank side (which is why 2-3 are enough). When under way you can leave them on the roof, but tidier to put them away in a locker until the end of the day.

• Happy 1

Personally I like little kart tyres (with drainage hole drilled and proper metal thing on the top so they can be tied on neatly and stay nice) but appreciate they aren't for everyone.

Whether it is rope/rubber/tyre though I like adjustable knots at the top. I'm not sure what they are called but they allow me to slide the fender up and down vertically according to need. On play boat (with roof rails) they are tied directly onto handrail (and, shhh, around mushroom vent on tug deck). Family friendly boat has only ridges not rails so I have those hook things which are quite smart too and also allow sliding along. All come up onto roof/tug deck for cruising. There is one gunwale level loop on play boat and tying it on is one of most pointless things - if there were more I'd get clips and then be upset when the fenders rolled off the roof if placed sideways on.

Shhh. You can get round section ones more designed for rails (these look more similar to the ones I have on ridges). If these are the plastic ones though they won't do much harm. 

On my boat with rails I tie them to the rails directly with an adjustable knot. Easy to pop up onto roof (and not worry about loosing) when cruising and adjustable/slideable depending what I'm moored against. 

But some people prefer gadgets. And that is fine too! 

In any event they are way better than things fixed to gunwales! 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

These are clever, video shows their cleverness (but won’t stop the chafing on the cabin top side of course)

https://www.piratescave.co.uk/fastfender-fender-hooks-grey-pair.html

I have similar to those on 'The Cat'. but they clip onto the rails and hand straight down the side - no abrasion.

4 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

On my boat with rails I tie them to the rails directly with an adjustable knot. Easy to pop up onto roof (and not worry about loosing) when cruising and adjustable/slideable depending what I'm moored against. 

Me too. Those hooks on rails are not .... appropriate.