Leather Recliners.......

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Was thinking about making some minor internal alterations in my boat and was thinking about a nice comfy recliner/swivel/captains chair of some kind. I realise they can be quite sizeable.

Just found this advert on the net and it claims it is quite narrow at only 29 inches. Is this the case ? I make that 70cms wide and when you leave a little bit of a gap its nearing the middle of the boat.

I've seen photos of a pair of them in a saloon looking quite good but I have a sofa fitted along one side that is 60cms deep. Worried that this will feel a little out of place.

http://wilsonsupholstery.co.uk/reclining-chair/

Are there any narrower ones ? I'm not a big lad width ways BTW. 

We have two we have side by side across the boat, so wall to wall,  got them online and made sure they were narrow enough. It is usually the arms that are wider the seat being designed for the normal bum. Make sure they can fit through your doors mine had the backs seperate and the arms off so no problem, but I spent a few hours helping my neighbour trying to get one into his boat, we couldn't.

We have one of these in our snug:

https://www.dunelm.com/product/whitham-swivel-recliner-chair-grey-1000120051

it comes in at 76cm, so about 2in wider than the Wilson one.  Like you we have a fitted sofa down one side, but this still sits perfectly opposite it.  I don’t know what Wilson charge for theirs, but no doubt this will be a lot less, albeit not in leather, but very comfy nevertheless.

Edited by The Dreamer

We have a fabric covered one with massage function in our lounge, (looks the same anyway) Bought from The Range, last one in store so £280 ISTR. Reclining lock mechanism not very effective. 

So called 'narrowboat' chairs/sofas ain't narrow at all. I managed to buy two surplus centre sections from a leather sofa for Innisfree, each 2' wide, bolted  them together + a couple of end sections from a cane sofa and the finished sofa width was just over 4',  narrow enough to leave a 2' aisle down the side, surprisingly comfy. Made into one chair would be nice and narrow. 

ETA.  Identical to The Dreamer's one. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I've had those and others. We now have ekorness stressless, they are so much better and comfier in every way. Bite the bullet and pay they are worth it. 

^^^^^ as he said - but don't be in a rush, I have two of them, both bought second-hand and in near perfect condition (and far, far cheaper than new!!) Got one through this forum and another from ebay, total cost about £450 rather than in excess of  two grand.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I've had those and others. We now have ekorness stressless, they are so much better and comfier in every way. Bite the bullet and pay they are worth it. 

They come in 3 different sizes small, medium & large. Also if you buy new they come unassembled in a box and you can assemble them on the boat if you have small doors.

We had some expensive all leather ones, not Stressless, and they lasted 16 years. They collapsed in the seat eventually and the arms fell apart.

I was concerned that according to customer reviews Stressless seemed to be in a bad patch quality wise so when we wanted replacements it was decided to buy less expensive and replace more often if necessary.To this end we bought from Lloyds Pharmacy two pvc £99 ones. They have so far, 4 years in, been extremely comfortable and durable and we are delighted with them. At these prices we can change them at a whim whereas when you have paid £2570 each for the best they have to last forever.

Edited by Boater Sam
Grammatical correction

I been looking at these on ebay Sofa Bed Armchair

It better than the normal folding foam jobs. It would be handy for when the girls visit. Not a bad price either. My perfered compact leather armchair is in the book room at the local RSPCA shop, Yet they refuse to sell, saying customers like the chair.

armchair2.jpg

I bought a Stressless for under £500, with stool. To be honest I am not particularly impressed: the foam in the arms is too soft imho, the locking mechanism is pretty useless, and Ithe headrest part does not support my head, so not great for reading. The seat leather stretched pretty much straight away. I often use the footstool as a seat, and it's not ideal!

Acid test  .... I would look around for a different one if I had to buy another

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s a clever design :)

The tubular look ...... too "functional" / "care home" finish for my taste.

Edited by LadyG

I have what I called a Stressmore until I modified it. Leather, I don't know why folk rave over leather. Cold to sit down in the winter and can burn your bum in summer if the sun happens to shine its rays up on it. The modifications are, the big lump of a headrest that gave me  a stiff neck I opened up and chewed away the foam rubber into a nice curved head shaped thing and then stitched it up again, just like brain surgery, labotomy init.  I then stiched up the neck and arm holes of a Tee shirt and pulled it down over the back rest, the orrible leather arms I also enveloped in some fluffy armchair arm covers that I found in our bin. Finnishing off with a nice cushy cushion on its seat which now provides me with a cool bum in the summer and warm one in winter. Leathers dreadful.