Thank you for the vacuum

tree monkey

Featured Posts

Just been doing a bit of cleaning, as you do, and anyway it reminded me to thank to mystery benefactor who left behind at the bins a carefully wrapped vacuum cleaner with a note explaining it is working and free to a good home.

So Thank you :)

I do like the swap and exchange that goes on via the bins, anyone else found anything useful?

• Greenie 1

A pair of ladies knickers round our prop??

We have collected empty 5L containers from bins to fill with old engine oil. It’s a shame you’re not allowed to then recycle the oil at crt services. ♻️ 

• Greenie 1

At the Cropredy bins, some years ago, I found a set of videotapes (yes, it WAS some years ago) of Will Hay comedy films. Got them home, watched the first one, but Mrs. Athy didn't like it so I was unable to watch the other two!

When renewing or upgrading, we sometimes leave items in that same location. The last one was a fully working portable radio (I still think of them as trannies - do modern radios have transistors?) which wasn't there for long.

59 minutes ago, MHS said:

A pair of ladies knickers round our prop??

We have collected empty 5L containers from bins to fill with old engine oil. It’s a shame you’re not allowed to then recycle the oil at crt services. ♻️ 

I've recently used the oil boat, last visit removed a 25ltr drum of used oil and left a new drum plus an empty drum behind, excellent service

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

When renewing or upgrading, we sometimes leave items in that same location. The last one was a fully working portable radio (I still think of them as trannies - do modern radios have transistors?) which wasn't there for long.

And I am sure the recipient is enjoying your gesture 

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've recently used the oil boat, last visit removed a 25ltr drum of used oil and left a new drum plus an empty drum behind, excellent service

We used to see them fairly regularly. We will have to get in touch in the New Year and see if we can meet up. 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

At the Cropredy bins, some years ago, I found a set of videotapes (yes, it WAS some years ago) of Will Hay comedy films. Got them home, watched the first one, but Mrs. Athy didn't like it so I was unable to watch the other two!

Using the word "Trannies"is not PC these days!

A couple of years ago some posh knobs hired a day boat fromt yard. They turned up in top of range, Range rovers times 2. All immaculate family with expensive clothes etc. Later when they returned boat I saw one taking stuff tut bins then drive off. A few minutes later I looked and next to one bin they had put down an as new, unused except for some remains of a bit of charcoal from a disposable barby, a weber barby all complete, obviously bought for the trip and once out the box had to be thrown away :banghead: We have used it 2 summers now.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And I am sure the recipient is enjoying your gesture 

Hope so!

The very civilised sanny station at Thrupp has a book exchange, whose shelves we have both plundered and replenished.,

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I got a Stressless reclining chair in perfect nick someone had parked by the bins. Slightly too big for my boat, it's now in the snug in the house. No footstool though, sadly. 

Some people are just so blasted inconsiderate, aren't they?

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A couple of years ago some posh knobs hired a day boat fromt yard. They turned up in top of range, Range rovers times 2. All immaculate family with expensive clothes etc. Later when they returned boat I saw one taking stuff tut bins then drive off. A few minutes later I looked and next to one bin they had put down an as new, unused except for some remains of a bit of charcoal from a disposable barby, a weber barby all complete, obviously bought for the trip and once out the box had to be thrown away :banghead: We have used it 2 summers now.

I still have a Weber from my time in the Army brought it back from one of my business trips there, having a NATO diplomatic passport did have its advantages

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Once canal trash, always canal trash - remember NACT [Heyford Chapter] Thee and me were founding members:cheers:

A lovely antique copper kettle on one occasion and a brand new thetford cassette toilet, sort of...

I can only assume that someone had a meltdown at the prospect of using it, so they had placed a plastic bag in the bowl and dropped the kids off in there! 

44 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Once canal trash, always canal trash - remember NACT [Heyford Chapter] Thee and me were founding members:cheers:

Correct. I had some T shirts made with " Canal trash " Printed theiron ?

Quite a sad one, saw a complete set of Bruce Springsteen CDs on a bench at Lapworth. Owner had died so family put them out for free.

I already had most of the good ones so decided not to take the others as would be sad to break up the set.

................Dave

We just refurbed our kitchen at home (house not boat) it cost us more than my first house! 
I had an electric range cooker which I cursed at every use since we moved into this house 12 years ago.

It was in good working order though not pristine due to 12 years hard labour.

Rather than chuck it in the skip I put it on Freecycle. It was snapped up. 

The family that took it and the cooker hood subsequently sent me a picture of the first roast dinner they cooked in it and said it was the best cooker they had ever had. I was happy and humbled in equal measure. 

Suffice to say I will look to place unwanted item on Freecycle every time. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

We just refurbed our kitchen at home (house not boat) it cost us more than my first house! 
I had an electric range cooker which I cursed at every use since we moved into this house 12 years ago.

It was in good working order though not pristine due to 12 years hard labour.

Rather than chuck it in the skip I put it on Freecycle. It was snapped up. 

The family that took it and the cooker hood subsequently sent me a picture of the first roast dinner they cooked in it and said it was the best cooker they had ever had. I was happy and humbled in equal measure. 

Suffice to say I will look to place unwanted item on Freecycle every time. 

It's a lovely feeling isn't it :)

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It's a lovely feeling isn't it :)

Yes, and no. 

I did feel a bit of an ungrateful shit for berating a perfectly adequate though not ideal item because I wanted something easier, more stylish and upmarket (and could afford it). 

25 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Yes, and no. 

I did feel a bit of an ungrateful shit for berating a perfectly adequate though not ideal item because I wanted something easier, more stylish and upmarket (and could afford it). 

But if you hadn't probably they would never owned a range cooker, so you effectively bought them a second hand cooker

• Greenie 1