Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

On 09/07/2024 at 19:52, magnetman said:

To be fair one could argue that a toll house on a canal is obsolete and also a maintenance headache. 

I'm not a bricks and mortar person as have only ever had Boats and no interest in anything else but this thing looks like a liability. I suppose it is pretty and has some land but being 'listed' it seems to be a lot of agro and expense. 

The canals don't need this sort of obsolete infrastructure any more. The priority must surely be keeping the locks working and stopping the water escaping via gravity to somewhere it is awkward to use. 

Buildings beside canals are basically useless when you think about it. 

This thing was built when canals were individually operated by separate companies. I seem to recall there might even have been a stop lock. 

Unless wetherspoons would be interested it is basically worthless and best sold to someone who thinks they can use it. That is why it is the freehold being sold. 

So I wonder just as an example, why so much of the Italians' Roman but useless remains have been preserved through the generations? Should we be grateful to them or think, how stupid, it has no useful value?

2 hours ago, wandering snail said:

So I wonder just as an example, why so much of the Italians' Roman but useless remains have been preserved through the generations? Should we be grateful to them or think, how stupid, it has no useful value?

Do these Roman remains take money away from a canal system? I don't know much about Italy. Also I don't know of many Roman buildings constructed in the 18th or 19th century with red bricks. 

Not convinced that ancient Roman structures are in any way similar to modern UK canal buildings. 

Lots of buildings have useful heritage value but if the building is a drain on the resources of the navigation authority keeping water in the canals then there is an argument for selling. 

Obviously there is a potential issue with useless managers not seeing the value but in the case of the offices by Braun St On marina it appears attempts have been made to gain from the land and buildings but these were fruitless. In which case it is best to make it someone else's problem. I imagine by being listed it will be reasonably protected from awful developments. 

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I imagine by being listed it will be reasonably protected from awful developments. 

I doubt this will protect it from a secure high fence across the front and loads of signs saying "KEEP OUT PRIVATE PROPERTY", once in private ownership

It's probably not ideal for someone who wants this type of privacy, given that the garden will be shared with customers of the Gongoozler cafe boat and there are boater bins adjacent, beside a land access from the towpath.  Although the property is offered freehold, there may be covenants applied.

19 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Looking at the photos I don't think that is a slipway, more just an arm off the main line.

It says it has a slipway in the description. (But then, of course, an estate agent wrote that!)

1 hour ago, Lady M said:

Although the property is offered freehold, there may be covenants applied.

Interestingly it does not seem to have any restrictive covenants. 

Summary of freehold

Property description

The Stop House, The Wharf, Braunston, Daventry (NN11 7JQ)

This is how HM Land Registry have described the property in the register

How to update the property description

Tenure type
Freehold What's freehold?

Last sold for
No price recorded Why is there no price?
  •  
  •  
  •  

Restrictive covenants and easements

There may be other things that affect this property that are not listed here. For more information about the records we hold, you should obtain a copy of the register and any documents referred to in the register.

!WarningTo understand more about how this information affects the property, you should consider taking legal advice.
Restrictive covenants and easements recorded for the property.
Item Recorded

Restrictive covenants

What's a restrictive covenant?

No - there are no restrictive covenants recorded

Easements

What's an easement?

No

https://search-property-information.service.gov.uk/search/summary/bwgSWllWkr0rCNXyQWDHCQ==

If there are new covenants, they will be recorded in Land Registry after the sale.  Historically the building is part of CRT's operational stock.  It won't have been sold previously.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

If there are no current covenants then at least any new ones proposed by C&RT can be (hopefully) negotiated before purchase.

But as the house has probably never been registered with land registry they wouldn't show there but could be shown on the actual deeds

On 09/07/2024 at 19:52, magnetman said:

This thing was built when canals were individually operated by separate companies. I seem to recall there might even have been a stop lock. 

The stop lock being widened.

Stop Lock 2.jpg

Stop Lock 3.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Lady M said:

It's probably not ideal for someone who wants this type of privacy, given that the garden will be shared with customers of the Gongoozler cafe boat and there are boater bins adjacent, beside a land access from the towpath.  Although the property is offered freehold, there may be covenants applied.

Do you think that access will continue once sold? Just think how many waste facilities have been lost due to ending up on private land