Porta Cabin Narrowboat Lovechild?

Featured Posts

Quite a few older boats sport frontal superstructure extensions - fair enough, it increases interior space. But will this one get through the notoriously tight bridges in the area, e.g. Church Bridge at Upwell?

It's offensive to look at, but that aside, how on earth can the steerer see past the 'cube' at the front to navigate safely and without colliding with other boats, bridges etc. etc.  ??  I would not like to have 'it' coming toward me. Hopefully the owner has no intent of cruising in it!!

2 hours ago, Chris_777 said:

It's offensive to look at, but that aside, how on earth can the steerer see past the 'cube' at the front to navigate safely and without colliding with other boats, bridges etc. etc.  ??  I would not like to have 'it' coming toward me. Hopefully the owner has no intent of cruising in it!!

You've presumed it is going to move about.............................somehow I doubt it will.
I wonder when it will be seen in London after coming down on a lorry?

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Chris_777 said:

I gather from people who had seen it arrived, Not very well, the owner was leaning over the side to see ahead. The owner is heading for the bright lights of the Regents Canal after painting. The question does arise, do the insurance company know about the porta cabin on the front deck and how it effects the forward view? If not, insurance invaild.   

12 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

You've presumed it is going to move about.............................somehow I doubt it will.
I wonder when it will be seen in London after coming down on a lorry?

She's heading down to London, Even if shes reaches Northampton after giving the tight bridges at Thrapston and Irthlingborough a bash. She never get up the Northampton flight. She either jam in the lock or be unable to get under the first humpback bridge above lock 16.

22 hours ago, Athy said:

Quite a few older boats sport frontal superstructure extensions - fair enough, it increases interior space. But will this one get through the notoriously tight bridges in the area, e.g. Church Bridge at Upwell?

Not heading your way, but up the Nene. Between here and Stanground, three bridges come to mind for tightness in height, Burnt House, Brigate foot and Crane bridge.  

porta boat1.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

13 hours ago, Chris_777 said:

It’s common sense and a colregs requirement to maintain a proper lookout.......  have a collision in that boat without someone at the front is going to be difficult to defend.

45 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

The crt will fix the bridges to assist, after all its going to lunun to cruise the regents.

there is precedent.

Is the Nene CRT territory then? Or are the bridges all on the connecting cut?

Must do some Nene soon. What sort of anchor do I need? :icecream:

I went past a "boat" today that can only easily be described as a static caravan floating on a raft made from IBCs.  Sadly I didn't get a photo as I was too busy sandpapering the pain out of my eyeballs ...

If I remember I will take a photo on the way back.  Looked spacious inside though!

Surely there's some obstacle between the Middle Level and the Regents Canal which that box on the front can't get past if they try to move it to London by water? I've done the Northampton Arm once in each direction, but as that was on a normal shaped narrow boat each way I don't really remember what the bridge profiles were like. But I will venture to suggest they'll fit under the M1 with no problem!

If they reach the GU I think Blisworth tunnel will be very difficult if they meet a boat coming the other way; wouldn't it be hard to pass with the top right edge of that box up against the tunnel wall?

10 hours ago, carlt said:

I expect a more conventionally shaped Harborough Marine boat will be arriving in London with a pile of plywood dumped on the towpath next to a low bridgehole somewhere along the way. 

And will then complain about the leaking cabin!

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is the Nene CRT territory then? Or are the bridges all on the connecting cut?

Must do some Nene soon. What sort of anchor do I need? :icecream:

At this time of year an anchor is probably the least your worries, i once had to walk up a pound on the nene towing the boat because it was the only way to find a channel deep enough. Fortunately the bottom was gravel