A dearth of Diesel

Tractor

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My bog standard narrowboat tanks hold 60 gallons. I have never come anywhere close to running out. Get yer act together innitt :D

Did you not run out once with one of your many boats? ?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Did you not run out once with one of your many boats? ?

:P Thats why I am telling them to get their act together innitt :D It was the Udson I owned wiv the daft saddle tanks and fuel gauge..................yes fuel gauge that I didnt believe :banghead:

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I can’t see that Lyons will have stopped, but neither Lyons nor Fenny Compton are on the route from Stratford to Calcutt.  Is there actually a fuel boat that operates in that area?

Ryan (Jules) does the Napton to top of Stockton last week of the month (ish).

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What's this diesel stuff? Is it the same as my free to run from the sun electric? ?

No, it's much better as it works when there is no sun. Get loads of hot water & central heating too. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

I can’t see that Lyons will have stopped, but neither Lyons nor Fenny Compton are on the route from Stratford to Calcutt.

Maybe not, but the OP said Stratford to Cropredy and Fenny is before Croppers, going south.

6 hours ago, Flyboy said:

No, it's much better as it works when there is no sun. Get loads of hot water & central heating too. 

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe you should try cruising down the Stratford cana to see how it compares :detective:

Big fat boat for big fat waterways I always have batteries as well ? and its so quiet plus the sun gives me hot water

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Big fat boat for big fat waterways I always have batteries as well ? and its so quiet plus the sun gives me hot water

Genuine query about leccie boats and their range. Currently heading towards Liverpool which requires about 4 hours of cruising a day to get there in time for the booking, ignoring the fact that it is narrow canals and a big fat boat obviously wont fit, but running on sunlight, can you do 4 hours a day of travel, every day? (I know you have the advantage of not using any power when stationary in locks).

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Genuine query about leccie boats and their range. Currently heading towards Liverpool which requires about 4 hours of cruising a day to get there in time for the booking, ignoring the fact that it is narrow canals and a big fat boat obviously wont fit, but running on sunlight, can you do 4 hours a day of travel, every day? (I know you have the advantage of not using any power when stationary in locks).

If you are heading towards liverpool are you aware of this?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14993/bridge-20-coxhead-swing-bridge-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Maybe not, but the OP said Stratford to Cropredy and Fenny is before Croppers, going south.

His question was about Calcutt being the first place he could get diesel, so anything after Calcutt is surely not relevant.

On 27/04/2019 at 09:30, Dr Bob said:

Ryan (Jules) does the Napton to top of Stockton last week of the month (ish).

Thanks, seen him around the Napton area before.  I am assuming there is nothing between Stockton and Kingwood or on the Stratford.  I guess there are a lot lest boats once you get to that area, perhaps other than hire boats, but equally as the OP found there is not much in the way of marinas either.

On 26/04/2019 at 21:33, matty40s said:

They were still selling last year when I came through moving a boat from darn sarf.

They were still selling it on Thursday when we filled up.

Along that route, I think that Midland Chandlers, at Braunston, also sell diesel, and Cropredy Marina certainly does. A very small diversion takes you to Napton Narrowboats who also do, or at least did when we passed there last year.

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

A very small diversion takes you to Napton Narrowboats who also do, or at least did when we passed there last year.

I bought a little there last year too, but they made it very clear they needed to charge petrol station prices for it to be worth their while selling it to me and if I was gonna moan about being charged £1.20 a litre, I was to go somewhere else. 

Which was fair enough I thought. I think I bought about 30 litres rather than go down the three locks to Calcutt, and back up. 

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bought a little there last year too, but they made it very clear they needed to charge petrol station prices for it to be worth their while selling it to me and if I was gonna moan about being charged £1.20 a litre, I was to go somewhere else. 

Which was fair enough I thought. I think I bought about 30 litres rather than go down the three locks to Calcutt, and back up. 

Only one lock down to the wharf at Calcutt, so two there and back!  I would think significantly cheaper there.

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

They were still selling it on Thursday when we filled up.

Along that route, I think that Midland Chandlers, at Braunston, also sell diesel, 

I didn't know Midland Chandlers sold it, I thought Branston Marina was the only place in Braunston that sold it now.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't know Midland Chandlers sold it, I thought Branston Marina was the only place in Braunston that sold it now.

You could well be correct. That's why I said that I think they sell it. I could have thunk wrongly - on reflection, I don't remember ever having filled up there.

39 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Only one lock down to the wharf at Calcutt, so two there and back!  I would think significantly cheaper there.

Or literally just round the corner, and no locks, to Wigrams Turn Marina. As long as it's not Saturday.

I'm pretty certain Midland Chandlers don't do diesel. Frequently go past and never spotted a pump.

7 hours ago, StephenA said:

If you are heading towards liverpool are you aware of this?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14993/bridge-20-coxhead-swing-bridge-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

Yes, I picked it up on the 'Not going to Liverpool' thread. My understanding is that at the moment they are manually opening the bridge on Mondays and Fridays although, as I posted on the other thread, I don't know why they don't just open the bridge and leave it open. The road crossing there is a very minor road with a variety of alternative routes so a road closure order wouldn't be that difficult to get.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I can do five hours on a full charge, if it's Sunny I could cruise all day from the sun. For the best results it seems set off at eightish finish lunchtime and batteries have rest of day to charge up, every set of locks does help though. 

I was in Somerset yesterday on an electric boat it was over a hundred years old it had a solar canopy and was used for river sightseeing, even yesterday it was holding it's own with solar input. It was a boaty boat though and that help's no end. The owner was running trips all day at no cost in fuel or emissions and totally silent

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Midland chandlers do not sell diesel, unless they have installed it since yesterday afternoon.  Braunston marina do, but I think people have said it is 60/40 only, so not for me.

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Or literally just round the corner, and no locks, to Wigrams Turn Marina. As long as it's not Saturday.

I'm pretty certain Midland Chandlers don't do diesel. Frequently go past and never spotted a pump.

Never been into Wigrams, except to look round when we were looking for a marina, what sort of price are they for diesel?

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Never been into Wigrams, except to look round when we were looking for a marina, what sort of price are they for diesel?

We used to get most of our diesel there. I think it was 80p ish and you can choose wotever split you want. Probably fill up again there next week and a pump out.