A dearth of Diesel

Tractor

Featured Posts

On 28/04/2019 at 18:11, peterboat said:

I can do five hours on a full charge, if it's Sunny I could cruise all day from the sun. For the best results it seems set off at eightish finish lunchtime and batteries have rest of day to charge up, every set of locks does help though. 

I was in Somerset yesterday on an electric boat it was over a hundred years old it had a solar canopy and was used for river sightseeing, even yesterday it was holding it's own with solar input. It was a boaty boat though and that help's no end. The owner was running trips all day at no cost in fuel or emissions and totally silent

That's not bad going, since we just potter along we rarely do more than that in a day. Assuming that we have an average summer with overcast but reasonably bright skies, I take it that the PV panels will restore the batteries to full charge by the following morning.

I take it you were on this boat (https://www.ladylena.co.uk/ ) in Bath, although I get the impression from the website that it gets plugged in to recharge overnight with the panel just to assist.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That's not bad going, since we just potter along we rarely do more than that in a day. Assuming that we have an average summer with overcast but reasonably bright skies, I take it that the PV panels will restore the batteries to full charge by the following morning.

I take it you were on this boat (https://www.ladylena.co.uk/ ) in Bath, although I get the impression from the website that it gets plugged in to recharge overnight with the panel just to assist.

I was in Langport on the river Parrot? the boat is called Duchess, she has no method of charging other than solar. I am hoping to go out this weekend, I will do the first couple of hours at fiveish on Friday evening, then we will finish the journey on Saturday morning. Coming back on Monday will be in one go, we are going to pastures which is about four hours, so I will see how it goes on these faster runs. Since my last trip I can now switch all 3.7kw to either drive or domestic, my last trip was at 2.5kw, so the additional 1.2kw will be welcome to speed and range.

On 28/04/2019 at 18:11, peterboat said:

I can do five hours on a full charge, if it's Sunny I could cruise all day from the sun. For the best results it seems set off at eightish finish lunchtime and batteries have rest of day to charge up, every set of locks does help though. 

I was in Somerset yesterday on an electric boat it was over a hundred years old it had a solar canopy and was used for river sightseeing, even yesterday it was holding it's own with solar input. It was a boaty boat though and that help's no end. The owner was running trips all day at no cost in fuel or emissions and totally silent

So you get 5 hours running on a full charge and then run a large generator for the rest of the day ( till 8.00pm presumably ).  It's a no brainer when you could power the boat directly from the diesel generator size engine.  Running a large generator for long periods in a stationary boat is surely going to upset any neighbouring boats. Only if you recharge using the solar makes it anwhere near being green. 

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

So you get 5 hours running on a full charge and then run a large generator for the rest of the day ( till 8.00pm presumably ).  It's a no brainer when you could power the boat directly from the diesel generator size engine.  Running a large generator for long periods in a stationary boat is surely going to upset any neighbouring boats. Only if you recharge using the solar makes it anwhere near being green. 

I think you need to read what I post 3.7kw of solar, my clever whispergen generator is also a central heating boiler its 24 volts and would only charge my domestic bank, so no I have a silent and very green boat

On 28/04/2019 at 23:04, Dr Bob said:

Our contract is up 1st May. Going to CC for the summer and be back before winter to somewhere not too far away.

@RLWP and @Mrs Tawny Owl are still wanting more boats to take part in the BCNS Marathon Challenge ...

You could easily make it there in three weeks!

In fact, if you do I will give you a stale duck pot noodle after I get it delivered!

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

@RLWP and @Mrs Tawny Owl are still wanting more boats to take part in the BCNS Marathon Challenge ...

You could easily make it there in three weeks!

In fact, if you do I will give you a stale duck pot noodle after I get it delivered!

Nah, Mrs Bob would have a fit. We are 3hours a day boaters....and the duck doesn't like the engine running.

• Greenie 1